diy solar

diy solar

Ordered new mini split

n2aws

Solar Addict
I placed an order today for a 12k BTU minisplit.

We replaced our central Air Conditioner in 2018. The old unit died, and needed replaced.
Since then, the new unit has died 4 times. 3 times was the capacitor failing (easy fix, so now I just keep an extra one onhand) but this last time, the variable speed motor for the outside fan died. Luckily it was under warranty, cuz the bill would have been around $800.

However, it was 3 days between getting the tech out, and getting the replacement part. (I live in florida.. 3 days without A/C is miserable)

My wife and I have discussed. I'm going to install the 12k btu in the bedroom. It's oversized (by far) for just the bedroom. However, our intention is to leave the bedroom door open (as we usually do) and let the minisplit help offset some of the cooling demand from the central A/C.

The central A/C is 16 seer. the minisplit is 22 Seer2. So the plan is to set the central A/C 2F "warmer" than the minisplit. The minisplit can keep the bedroom slightly cooler than the rest of the house (which we like) and whatever air flows down the hall, will help offset cooling costs from the central A/C.

Another aspect: The next time we have 9 or 21 days without power from hurricanes, we can run this unit off our solar+batteries, and sleep in comfort, just by shutting the bedroom door. I made sure to get a 220v unit, so it'd be balanced loads on my inverter.

I'll update this thread with pictures of the install. I'll likely install the minisplit itself right after I get it. However, I'll probably do the electrical sometime in the fall or winter, because my attic is 130F this time of year. I'll need to run a line from an outside panel on one side of the house, to the minisplit on the exact opposite side of the house.. and I'm not doing that in 130F heat.

overall this is a win/win/win!

I was without power for 21 days in 2004, and 9 days a few months ago after hurricane Ian.. so it'll be nice to have cost savings, a cooler bedroom, and potentially A/C when the power is out!

I have a pair of 9K mrcool ( 20 seer ) for enclosed porch and Garage, which helps with redundancy ( open doors as you mentioned ). I replaced the conventional heat pump with a MrCool 2/3 Ton universal 3 years ago and it has been flawless, also 20 SEER and with variable speed is using less than half the energy the York it replaced

All can be run if needed with my Solis / BYD hybrid system if needed.

We have a 30k two head, 12k upstairs in our bedroom and 18k first floor right underneath.

About 1800sq ft between first and second floors Our bedroom is about 500ft, we leave the door open all the time and it can keep the humidity out of the air set in dry and vary the fan settings 24/7, and we only fire up the first floor if it’s above 80 outside. This keeps our bedroom around 61 overnight and 68 during the hot days.

I think you have a good plan and will enjoy the setup.

Back