diy solar

diy solar

27.7KW System Upgrade - EG4 18KPV x 2 + PowerPro x 4

neo2299

I just re-did my solar panels after 10 years of using an older inverter/panels. I went with 64 Canadian Solar 400w panels + 9 of my older 240w panels(not shown in photos). The mounts are a hybrid between my older rails and new SnapNrack. Took myself+another guy about 3.5 working days(8/12 pitch roof) to get all the older panels removed and new ones installed. I have 400amp electric service (200amp x2) so I have each inverter using its own 200amp pass through. (note photo shows pre-wiring of inverters).
photo_2023-12-05_21-37-14.jpg

photo_2023-12-05_21-37-16.jpg
photo_2023-12-05_21-42-34.jpg

photo_2023-12-05_21-38-45.jpg

What is the black piece along the bottom of the lower panels?

It's to trap heat and make the panels less efficient
Come on don’t be rude. It’s a trim piece which cleans up the install look. It’s spaced off the roof along with plenty of air flow. If there’s any extra heat it will be very minimal. I can remove it any time if I feel it’s screwing up the panels

Very clean install. 3.5 days to remove and replace is moving!

Clean yer gutters!
1701867377589.png

Looks like a nice setup. Panels facing E, S, and W? Should give you a decent production curve that way.

Braver than me - I wasn't going to even try to get on my 2 story roof with panels. 1 story, OK I'd try that, but 2 story... nah!

Clean yer gutters!
View attachment 181373

Looks like a nice setup. Panels facing E, S, and W? Should give you a decent production curve that way.

Braver than me - I wasn't going to even try to get on my 2 story roof with panels. 1 story, OK I'd try that, but 2 story... nah!
yes East, south and west facing. The east lose an hour in the morning due to trees but overall I wanted good even production all day.

This looks great! Curious, did you have to re-install the racking too? I assume that by going from a 240w. to a 400w module, they are longer and likely have a different racking spec? This is the one thing keeping me from replacing some 235w panels over my garage to something bigger.. I don't really want to remove the racking and leave a bunch of holes in the roof I'd need to seal up and flash.

This looks great! Curious, did you have to re-install the racking too? I assume that by going from a 240w. to a 400w module, they are longer and likely have a different racking spec? This is the one thing keeping me from replacing some 235w panels over my garage to something bigger.. I don't really want to remove the racking and leave a bunch of holes in the roof I'd need to seal up and flash.
The racking mostly was perfect... I had to cut off the ends of one run to make it look cleaner... Just measure ahead of time and you should find a config that works. My rows of 6 went to rows of 5. My rows of 9 went to 8 new panels. The top row is a hybrid - 8.5 panels on the racking i used 2 snapnrack mounts to finish off the end mount... that way it fully covered my wiring boxes.

Hi, looking good,

How wide along the walls are the batteries (including required spacing from the wall itself)? I'm wondering if it can fit in a 8 or 9 foot wide section of wall. Is it inspected and all that (UL9540 stickers, etc) too?

Hi, looking good,

How wide along the walls are the batteries (including required spacing from the wall itself)? I'm wondering if it can fit in a 8 or 9 foot wide section of wall. Is it inspected and all that (UL9540 stickers, etc) too?
The wall is 12ft, but the total area is under 10ft the batteries take up. These are not inspected, however the code is 3ft width room for main panel which this meets. 9ft would be cutting it close

Sounds about as expected, there's another area that would probably work, just farther from the main panel. Thanks for the quick answer :D

Back