diy solar

diy solar

280ah 3.2v cells how to test/sort? DL24P, LCR and DMM etc.

Gette

Hello all!
I have been spinning in circles reading/watching everything I find and just getting confused and frustrated. I'm a pretty brite guy but currently experiencing "paralysis of analysis" atm . lol

Anyway goal is DIY qty 2x 4S 12v 280ah batteries for my RV. And I would like to test them asap (as they just delivered - fingers crossed they ok) and then sort them and then I guess compress and top balance, etc.

I got qty 8x 280ah "new" EVE cells just delivered. These are not K versions, previous version with closer posts. They seem to be manufactured in 2021, with QR intact codes (2021 and older will have them anyway from what I read, so that doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy lol) and welded studs. They don't look used or bloated or anything. But then again I didn't put a square don them or anything. lol

I have a DL24P tester arriving in a couple days (Amazon - so can return). I own a couple of decent DMMs and even LCR meter, and also bought just got a 30v/10a power supply (Amazon). Though I can return and get whatever if easier/better (on budget please - lol)

This is for an RV so not like I will be buying a lot of cells on a continuing basis. So trying to do it on a budget. But I will feel better testing them and ultimately "sorting them" if it helps.

I have seen some posts by @RCinFLA and @RV10flyer with some tips specifically with the DL24P tester. Hopefully they see this and have some time to help a Noob. lol

NOTE: I don't want anyone to work for free so I'd be glad to hire someone whom can walk me trough this (PM me). Or at least send over some coffees/beers! lol

I know I have to charge them up to "something" but have read a lot of concerns with even charging to max let alone overcharging and not 100% sure of the process and seems standard practices is ever changing/evolving.

Same questions/concerns with the discharge.

Anyway It is unlike me to not throughly know about something before I dive in. But just way to may variables and opinions on this one and hard to piece mail it together form info here and there. I just don't have a lot of time and $ to waste learning things the hard way on this particular project and from what I read it is very easy to over charge/discharge and degrade or even ruin my batteries. No time to get new ones (and of course the $$$$) lol

Sorry so long.
Thank you all so much in advance!
Geo

Hold the thought... lol
I've been researching various "Battery Testers" and I may go to the EBC-A20 or possibly the EBC-A40L instead. As there appears to be more a lot more learning resources using these.

Back