diy solar

diy solar

3x 1P RCBOs instead of 1x 3P RCBO

RBEL

Hello guys!

I was just at a friend's house who has recently had his solar system installed (3ph, 10kW inverter + 30kW battery with 42 solar panels).
Now all seemed fine until I saw his main distribution box, which was added with what seems to me - something strange.

To give the solar system some upstream protection from the grid, the installer had put in 3x single phase RCBOs, instead of one RCBO.
The neutral connections were all run onto a busbar. The neutral from the busbar was then fed into the inverter.

Since I am no electrician and since I had never seen something like this before, I wanted to ask you guys: is this even legal and should one make such connection?
I am always under the impression that a 3 phase RCBO is intended for a 3 phase system, instead of 3x single phase ones...

Any thoughts?

I think a 3 phase
Hello guys!

I was just at a friend's house who has recently had his solar system installed (3ph, 10kW inverter + 30kW battery with 42 solar panels).
Now all seemed fine until I saw his main distribution box, which was added with what seems to me - something strange.

To give the solar system some upstream protection from the grid, the installer had put in 3x single phase RCBOs, instead of one RCBO.
The neutral connections were all run onto a busbar. The neutral from the busbar was then fed into the inverter.

Since I am no electrician and since I had never seen something like this before, I wanted to ask you guys: is this even legal and should one make such connection?
I am always under the impression that a 3 phase RCBO is intended for a 3 phase system, instead of 3x single phase ones...

Any thoughts?
I think a 3phase RCD would be necessary if the load were a 3phase load e.g. a 3 phase motor. However, supplying a household with a 3 phase supply is just to have sufficient power from the 3 phases to supply more (actually single phase) loads. In this case I think either type of RCD can be used (3x1phase RCD or 1x3phase RCD). Of course depending on where the installation is, regulations if any will have the final word.

Back