diy solar

diy solar

4 way tilting panels fully working

• Thread starter Deleted member 3614
  • Start date
First test and a short one. Thanks mummy nature for the short glimpse of the sun. Just past sunrise 8.30 am 20200126_083840.jpg20200126_083920.jpg20200126_083913.jpg

Hi Cloudy yep it was my video on YouTube that you replied to, I have pretty much got my panels doing what I need them to do for now but very interested to see your final solution.
interested to see the locking type of gas strut you mentioned

I ruled out using a rotating frame there, were too many things on the roof that got in the way
After a weekend at Panorama Walk I also realised my mk1 version wasn’t good enough I needed to be able to raise the panel in at least two directions i.e. facing to the front on that particular park up.

Hi Cloudy yep it was my video on YouTube that you replied to, I have pretty much got my panels doing what I need them to do for now but very interested to see your final solution.

I ruled out using a rotating frame there, were too many things on the roof that got in the way
After a weekend at Panorama Walk I also realised my mk1 version wasn’t good enough I needed to be able to raise the panel in at least two directions i.e. facing to the front on that particular park up.

Google the locking struts there are loads.

As for the room, my second single panel tilt will be going partly over the kitchen skylight, yes my motorhome is big but the tool who made it never gave much thought towards solar panels.

So testing has gone miles better than planned and being an x biker its been speed tested to 85 MPH thats as fast as my 140 BHP motorhome will go. also with my photography, the van goes down some bumpy roads, again without any issues due to the brackets have no moving parts.

The frame and panels weighs in at 25 kg and have taken a lot of wind. taking into account lowering them a bit with their weight will help cut down issues, the higher they stand the less weight the wind has to push.

Fixing an angle shading issue at the weekend and a redesigned of the side arms as the ones i'm using were just for the test as the chap who does the welding was on holiday.

They being looked into for a patent and business idea so you may not be seeing them on here for a time.

without the tilting panels, the van would of been sold or just stored up for the winter which i didn't want as i live in it.

what started out as a bit of a laugh has now turned out to be a full-on the business idea.

Next time you see them will be on my website i guess.

yep, a one-way tilt is a bit hard, often I park at angles and have no chance of moving so in the uk we need something different.

its 9.42 the sun is out and i,m getting 7 amps pv which is converted by the mppt to 10.1 which is 3 more than the vans charging left on all day.

remember think outside that normal box and it will happen most of the time.

Is that wales? nice place, I find out on the 28 of this month if my life will be ruined, I struggle to walk more than 3 miles without terrible leg pains and now the doctor thinks I have ME or MS. all my life I have wanted to walk up a mountain and living in the flattest part of the UK the Fens I think now i will never do that. even if I went to Scotland I think one hill would knock me out for a week lol.

Is that wales?

Yes Llangollen a few miles from where we live, that weekends challenge was to see what we could find locally using less than a couple of gallons of diesel!

it’s a very popular site and it is flattest where I had parked, we were just lucky there was an inversion layer in the valley that weekend which made it extra special, There is a similar effect in lots of valleys, best one I had seen previously was going down bluebell hill into the Medway valley from Chatham one morning

Good luck with the doctor and your venture keep positive!

Yes Llangollen a few miles from where we live, that weekends challenge was to see what we could find locally using less than a couple of gallons of diesel!

it’s a very popular site and it is flattest where I had parked, we were just lucky there was an inversion layer in the valley that weekend which made it extra special, There is a similar effect in lots of valleys, best one I had seen previously was going down bluebell hill into the Medway valley from Chatham one morning

Good luck with the doctor and your venture keep positive!
Was trying to reply earlir but may problems were so bad i just could not move.

Yes I do that often, doing local things, its just finding small places here.

Did you find the gas strut link ok? theres many out there.

Interesting thread :) i wish i'd found it earlyer, i have a few 12v linear actuators collected through my scrapping hobby (from hospital type beds) i was thinking of using to raise and lower the pannel frames, still not 100% fully decided on the how to wire my pannels but i've already gained a lot of insight from alexank and his YT channel, leanerd a lot and still learning cheers chaps ;)
If it helps RE gas struts, the ball sockets for the end i get off car tailgates, mainly fiestas as that's what i have as spares cars in the garage :) i've instaled a few as lifters on pickup truck bed covers and bonnets when i was into resto modding classic fords, also how i got into using linear actuators, a have a few 12V hydrolic actuators/rams from disability scooter stores which will lift much more weight, i may do a video on them on my YT channel, i have one working in the garden on my mothers scooter store?

Handy calculator.

Handy PDF for length selection

Interesting thread :) i wish i'd found it earlyer, i have a few 12v linear actuators collected through my scrapping hobby (from hospital type beds) i was thinking of using to raise and lower the pannel frames, still not 100% fully decided on the how to wire my pannels but i've already gained a lot of insight from alexank and his YT channel, leanerd a lot and still learning cheers chaps ;)
If it helps RE gas struts, the ball sockets for the end i get off car tailgates, mainly fiestas as that's what i have as spares cars in the garage :) i've instaled a few as lifters on pickup truck bed covers and bonnets when i was into resto modding classic fords, also how i got into using linear actuators, a have a few 12V hydrolic actuators/rams from disability scooter stores which will lift much more weight, i may do a video on them on my YT channel, i have one working in the garden on my mothers scooter store?

Handy calculator.

Handy PDF for length selection
only did mine due to the uks hopeless parking so had three choices, go to campsites and be bored out of my brains, sell the van or build something that will let me park anywhere and still have the power to do normal things.

the second plan was to have them race by power, actuators but soon found that 4 way would need a highly complex system. plus the switching would be tricky. is it do able tho, yes.

the thing is, mine has been designed to withstand the weather. the twin set up can handle around 15 to 20 mph winds, the single unit has stood in 30 just the other day. it has no moving parts to the design.

take a look at the cooperate section on this site as i was just about to place them into production when the dam virus hit. it now looks like later in the UK now.

i have found, the tilting system has shown some cable faults, its overheating the 20 amp cables, so today i hope to be ordering 16mm cable.

Cool beans chap :cool: i'm still in the planning stages (see my thread with half arsed card mockups LOL)
Same reasoning here, i'm not to far away from you (herts) and alexank as i'm also based in Swansea, my idea was 2 seperate tilts keeping the profile low and shading non exisatant (at least shading from my own pannels) UK weather will see to a whole lot of shading going on :(
I think i have 12 AWG cable from renogy ?, it arrived tother day and it's all packed away while i wait for DVLA to change my taxation class on me ambulance, trouble is it meens the vehical is parked away from me in secure storage and i wanna get started, been collection bits for years, mostly in scrap collections but you'd be surprised what i pick up in the scrap lol.

hahah chap, love it, I'm kate by the way so lass lol yep i,m a mad off grid, was full time living until the police started getting power mad so am parked up at my mothers.

As i was new to solar, i didn't know about shading grrr!! so my panels have a bit of shading which can be sorted but the final design won't but again, can't finish anything due to C19, the chap whos welds can't work.

I'm in the fens Cambridgeshire, such joy lol. so boring here.

Our weather is often cloudy with a bit more cloud, followed by even more cloud, somethings a round orange thing shines in the sky. when it does the brits goes mad and head to their park to turn lobster. must be a lobster thing!

The design took about 10 minutes, the arms have been a pain. again stuck by the virus, wanted a clip system which was about to be made.

Parts of mine where scrap parts. a faulty panel which turned out to be a fault with the voltmeter, the company sent a new panel but didn't want the old one back. so happy days there. all the other parts are offcuts with just one order places for the arms.

Most expensive parts were the ladder, my motorhome doesn't have one so have a telescopic one which fits in one of the storage areas.

I love being on the roof so ladders don't bother me. also, there are nice views too.

you can go either one or two panels together no issues. one needs a cradle and one doesn't

Shading was the reason I changed to a smaller albeit more efficient panel in my mkII version. MkI when tilted was being shaded by the edge of my Fiamma awning.

I have been testing mine extensively over the past few months and I am quite happy with my simple system it’s going to be fit and forget for several months. I have only had to do a bit of fine tuning lately to eliminate some rattles!

Now the day length has increased and the sun is higher in the sky I have found less and less of a need to raise the panels
Where the system is going to be most useful though is over the winter months November to end of February especially so. Assuming we are allowed out in our vans again one day, then I look forward to fully testing mine late Autumn onwards

Meanwhile I have been playing with making solar hot water panels! It’s very easy to get about a gallon of very hot water from a simple solar spiral.

Shading was the reason I changed to a smaller albeit more efficient panel in my mkII version. MkI when tilted was being shaded by the edge of my Fiamma awning.

I have been testing mine extensively over the past few months and I am quite happy with my simple system it’s going to be fit and forget for several months. I have only had to do a bit of fine tuning lately to eliminate some rattles!

Now the day length has increased and the sun is higher in the sky I have found less and less of a need to raise the panels
Where the system is going to be most useful though is over the winter months November to end of February especially so. Assuming we are allowed out in our vans again one day, then I look forward to fully testing mine late Autumn onwards

Meanwhile I have been playing with making solar hot water panels! It’s very easy to get about a gallon of very hot water from a simple solar spiral.

Same here really, testing since early Feb. with just 3 150 watt panels, they able to run the water heater at 500 watts, the PC, fridge and other smaller things. Even with cable issues that should've fixed later this week. the cables are doping 5 amps due to tot heir size. The panels pull a max os 21 which is about 5 amps out (no shading) panels should be at 25 amps which is just over 30 amps when converted by the mppt.

I've done my vans selective a bit different, using both 140 and 12 volt at once via the inverter which is connected to the vans existing 240 system.

The funny bit, tilting this time of the year isn't needed that much, its good for maxing the power early in the morning if i want to work on the pc.

Plus points of tilting panels. saving LPG, so my twin tanks lasted about 12 days, but now with he diesel heater so no gas running heating plus the fridge only on at night so 15 days out of one tank and topped up all bottles on the 8th April and the tank was half full so about another 10 days if i had left them. so that's saving, say £18 log every 12 days. That also saves cash in diesel trying to find a pet station that sell LGG.

The van has been self-supporting for 2 months now, needing no water or power which was the plan from on start so happy days when i get out of prison.

I've been harassed by the police twice for delivering food to family whos too il to go out. we now live in a police state.

Dam it man ! LOL :LOL: been designing a pannel cooling/water heating system for my pannels as well (god i'm bored) every time i think i have a new idea you are already at it (y)
TBH i'm the same, the tilt is for those winter trip to scotland or wales, i don't really do peak holidays, i like my quiet times in the colder months , off doing some detecting or panning, i long for the quiet life, that's why i try to spend as much time as i can in wales rather than London !

Same here really, testing since early Feb. with just 3 150 watt panels, they able to run the water heater at 500 watts, the PC, fridge and other smaller things. Even with cable issues that should've fixed later this week. the cables are doping 5 amps due to tot heir size. The panels pull a max os 21 which is about 5 amps out (no shading) panels should be at 25 amps which is just over 30 amps when converted by the mppt.

I've done my vans selective a bit different, using both 140 and 12 volt at once via the inverter which is connected to the vans existing 240 system.

The funny bit, tilting this time of the year isn't needed that much, its good for maxing the power early in the morning if i want to work on the pc.

Plus points of tilting panels. saving LPG, so my twin tanks lasted about 12 days, but now with he diesel heater so no gas running heating plus the fridge only on at night so 15 days out of one tank and topped up all bottles on the 8th April and the tank was half full so about another 10 days if i had left them. so that's saving, say £18 log every 12 days. That also saves cash in diesel trying to find a pet station that sell LGG.

The van has been self-supporting for 2 months now, needing no water or power which was the plan from on start so happy days when i get out of prison.

I've been harassed by the police twice for delivering food to family whos too il to go out. we now live in a police state.

Sorry :( when i say chap it meens nowt just a turn of phrase chap (ess?) is chapess a word ? it is now lol :ROFLMAO:
I go out every day shopping, i lost 3 pensioners last year to old age and dementia but still got 5 i look after this year, never get hassled but then i use my car, i'd expect to get hassled if i was driving me ambulance all day lol when i first got it back and parked it on my estate i got hassled by resedents thinking it was a corona screening unit ! Na i said don't drink the stuff! i drink ale not that mexican pee water ! ido have a strange sence of humour as you'll see if you watch any of my YT scrap vids, i'll appologise now for when i offend anyone ?

Sorry :( when i say chap it meens nowt just a turn of phrase chap (ess?) is chapess a word ? it is now lol :ROFLMAO:
I go out every day shopping, i lost 3 pensioners last year to old age and dementia but still got 5 i look after this year, never get hassled but then i use my car, i'd expect to get hassled if i was driving me ambulance all day lol when i first got it back and parked it on my estate i got hassled by resedents thinking it was a corona screening unit ! Na i said don't drink the stuff! i drink ale not that mexican pee water ! ido have a strange sence of humour as you'll see if you watch any of my YT scrap vids, i'll appologise now for when i offend anyone ?
We English so any word goes i think lol.

Big problem for me, the motorhome is my daily drive and home too so when the plod states go home i jump in the van and should done!. Well long before his virus came to visit, parking was just as bad. They think i,ma gipsies or travellers, mm so everyone who has a RV, camper or whatever in the UK is classed as a gipsies, got nothing against travellers, worked with loads being a land worker.

Lol i would keep the blues and twos on the ambulance, that be so funny.

Think i hold the recond for being banned from sites, FB 33, other sites about 9. My to the point attitude doesn't go down that well. ok a lot haha.

I'm a person who lives life but not one that has to lie about things to get there.

where your scrap vids? here's mine, I have to say i,m not into video, my job is photography but like to take short vids to look back on,

Sorry just spotted your reply to chap mk1

I,m the same, i go to places that has no people, the freedom is friging beautiful, my daily life, walking out in the countryside, finding new places with my camera and taking in what ever crosses my path. I had to leave my dull life, left the lot, bought the motorhome and thought for me to live the right style life this van needs pimping up a lot. so its been have the steroids. its taken 8 months of work to get turn this holiday van into a normal home with wheels.

The to-do list
Fitting three 150 watt solar panels with 4-way tilting brackets
Twin Carbon 260 amp AGM batteries
Twin under van battery box
Fix many draft issues
Remove the front seats (not in the cab) making a large living area
Installing the inverter
Make a one-off table for the monitor
40 amp MPPT solar charge controller
Cab bulkhead with a door and insulation
Bathroom heater via wardrobe chimney (free heat)
Fit a diesel heater
Remove spear wheel
Replace carpet for a thick carpet tile
Lights in cubards
Roof fed water system with UV
Replaced solar wire cables
Increased engine power to 170 BHP
Improved many smaller parts

Its much lighter than a standard 720 now, its top speed is now 95, its an x biker thing, never enough power lol it has to perform as a home and something that can handle bad weather, fixing the weather issues took weeks, weather meaning water issue from the road, it has unreal crap mudguards on the rear wheels and with its skirting, the water acts like a jet, its torn out lights and wiring.

Its basically taking something that's only really made for a campsite and turning it into a built like a brick crap house on wheels.

My best mess up was putting the antenna for the internet on the wrong side of the van, a tree killed it lol.

We English so any word goes i think lol.

Big problem for me, the motorhome is my daily drive and home too so when the plod states go home i jump in the van and should done!. Well long before his virus came to visit, parking was just as bad. They think i,ma gipsies or travellers, mm so everyone who has a RV, camper or whatever in the UK is classed as a gipsies, got nothing against travellers, worked with loads being a land worker.

Lol i would keep the blues and twos on the ambulance, that be so funny.

Think i hold the recond for being banned from sites, FB 33, other sites about 9. My to the point attitude doesn't go down that well. ok a lot haha.

I'm a person who lives life but not one that has to lie about things to get there.

where your scrap vids? here's mine, I have to say i,m not into video, my job is photography but like to take short vids to look back on,

TBH my opinion is if you set yourself appart from the norm you have to expect to be pointed at ;) my nickname is and has been for 35 years Pikeybob, don't bother me in the slightest, if i wanted to blend in i would ;)

My ambulance is here
When i get it back from storage i'll start the build series, mostly scrap vids on there at the mo lol
If you want a camper built like a tank you need one of these, build quality is robust to say the least and unlike any motorhome it's roll over tested ! you can literaly land a helecoptor on one of these things and it won't even notice :) toughness is thier middle name ! and i'm pretty sure Alexank would agree on tha tpoint ;)

TBH my opinion is if you set yourself appart from the norm you have to expect to be pointed at ;) my nickname is and has been for 35 years Pikeybob, don't bother me in the slightest, if i wanted to blend in i would ;)

My ambulance is here
When i get it back from storage i'll start the build series, mostly scrap vids on there at the mo lol
If you want a camper built like a tank you need one of these, build quality is robust to say the least and unlike any motorhome it's roll over tested ! you can literaly land a helecoptor on one of these things and it won't even notice :) toughness is thier middle name ! and i'm pretty sure Alexank would agree on tha tpoint ;)
We only live in England lol, not much happens tbh. had three options, motorhome, camper or a van conversion, went for the motorhome as it already had the right set up, still took 18 months to find the right one.

Big difference when you want to live in one, a camper would be useless for that, too small. built mine so it has a living room come office, which was an easy conversion, being 6 birth its now down to 4, the overhead cab bed is brilliant, in all its has 5 rooms of sorts.

I liked the epiphany that the more you want to tilt the panels the less you need to also rotate them with the sun. If you are high in latitude in the winter, then the sun rises in the south east and sets in the south west, so just rotate them to the south, but angle them towards the horizon.

If you are in the summer, then you want to rotate and tilt the panels, but because you survived the winter, you have more than enough solar and don't need to track anything.

Back