diy solar

diy solar

4 X class solar flares to impact this weekend.

Oh my, this reminds me when many years ago a not entirely sober friend put one of his hands so tips of his 3 longest fingers were in the doorway(furthest from the hinge) he got distracted and he slammed the rear door shut with his other hand in my Peugeot 19. The door was fully closed and he was trapped and obviously in pain, until another person opened the door ASAP but the fingers were not broken. They looked not unlike the guy's finger in the video

This was 20+ years ago and it makes me think car manufacturers do design for stuff like this. Including tesla. If they didn't the guy would have one finger less.
My daughter closed the door on my son's finger once in addition to my own foibles. The edge of the door panels have a modicum of give and there is a gap which should prevent chopping off a finger. It disgusts me to see people using these kinds of things to bash manufacturing. Any machine can be dangerous you need to pay attention operating them.

Oh my, this reminds me when many years ago a not entirely sober friend put one of his hands so tips of his 3 longest fingers were in the doorway(furthest from the hinge) he got distracted and he slammed the rear door shut with his other hand in my Peugeot 19. The door was fully closed and he was trapped and obviously in pain, until another person opened the door ASAP but the fingers were not broken. They looked not unlike the guy's finger in the video

This was 20+ years ago and it makes me think car manufacturers do design for stuff like this. Including tesla. If they didn't the guy would have one finger less.
Most companies do. Even the five year old Honda the Wife drives will stop before putting any painful pressure on your finger. It's nothing like this "Upgraded and Fixed" version from Tesla. The original software released on the Cyber Truck could actually cut off your finger! I wonder how much safety testing went into that before they released it.

Last edited:
Really? The man who built the company and sits on the board, has ZERO input on safety? Interesting. Must be because that *sshole must just want to kill people?

My finger has been closed in a car door more than once. Once as a child. I have done it myself in a regular car. This is a classic straw-man argument. "Elon Musk has no concern for safety because I can close the door of his companies CyberTruck on my finger." "It is obvious Musk went up to the engineers who designed the door, and said: 'I don't care about safety, only cost'". Like every other vehicle on the planet adjustments are made to improve safety over time, but frankly, I'm not sure how you can engineer every possible scenario of someone being stupid closing a door. The fact that it opened with the banana would indicate that at least some thought was given. Perhaps they should line the edge with camera's and electronics to detect a foreign object in the closure area. Add a few thousand bucks or so to the cost.

View attachment 215986

Two weeks ago I spun the cement mixer by hand in my back yard and pinched my pinky (gloved hand fortunately) in the gear. So is my stupidity the fault of the guy who engineered the mixer? Or should the manufacturer just send a valet with every product they sell watching over you to make sure you don't do something dumb?
It's an electric door it's not a manual door and these electric doors are supposed to be made so that they are safe for Kids. Just like an elevator door, you don't expect the door to crush your kids hand if it is the way.
You putting your hand in the wrong place on a cement mixer is your own fault. Kids are not supposed to be playing with cement mixers, so any safety concerns based on it's normal operation are the responsibility of the Adult using it.
Inquiring minds, because it gets increasingly expensive to engineer "safety" for every possible thing. I find it interesting that only 'Musk''y automotive products are of concern. You seem like a really intelligent guy, but I really struggle with people who go overboard with vitriolic comments about people like Musk. I think he's a very strange guy, but I have seen no evidence he doesn't care about peoples safety.
Really! The guy has been encourages people to drive his Vehicles in Autonomous mode for over three years.
Since then how many fools have died or been in serious accidents? They have been updating and updating the software and it still is not safe. Safety regulators have to keep on reminding the public that these are not Fully Autonomous cars and Yet Musk keeps on sending out the opposite message with a wink wink reminder to keep your hand on the Wheel.
Further, you seem to react with glee thinking about how the Starlink satellites are going to fall out of the sky because of a large solar event
Oh geez here we go again :fp2 you know what, go back read my posts. I was simply stating the physics involved with CME's and their interactions with Satellites.
. I wish no ill will on anyone, nor their products or business. If I had something concrete information about the satellites engineering, beyond the *one* issue they had shortly after launch causing a mass failure I might have something more specific to comment, but for all I know they've already thought about this, and have contingency for such an event. Anything we come up with is purely speculative. Apparently Elon has nothing to do with anything good, and is fully responsible for everything bad. Got it.

That is your take away about my statement that Elon is not interested in safety:fp2
I see your one of those people who deals in Absolutes.

Last edited:
Elon has has Zero input in SpaceX Rocket safety when it comes to manned craft or anything going to the ISS.
NASA dictates exactly what they need and they go through every design Aspect and test it to make sure it is safe for their Astronauts.

"SpaceX's view of risks and willingness to accept risk is considerably different than NASA's."

Is that the NASA which oversaw destruction of the Challenger and Columbia, after being told by engineers exactly what the environment/damage issue was?

"SpaceX's view of risks and willingness to accept risk is considerably different than NASA's."

Yep NASA's tolerance level for risk is so low that it even frustrates most of their employees. That is a big part of why James Web took so long to launch and one of the many reasons why Orion has been taking so long. Elon is feeling the heat right now, he needs to get Starship working right now. His new Raptor 3 engine design looks rather promising.
Is that the NASA which oversaw destruction of the Challenger and Columbia, after being told by engineers exactly what the environment/damage issue was?
That was when NASA got cocky and though they could do no wrong. The Challenger accident was what transformed NASA safety into what it is today. Although in all fairness the Challenger accident was a result of compounded multiple missed launch dates that eventually had the managers saying "Just Launch the Dam Thing". As for Columbia Accident there is no way to fix that, they still continued launching with that issue. The only thing they could do was to inspect the craft for tile damage and pray those repair kits in Space really worked.

They do. Even the five year old Honda the Wife drives will stop before putting any painful pressure on your finger. It's nothing like this "Upgraded and Fixed" version from Tesla. The original software released on the Cyber Truck could actually cut off your finger! I wonder how much safety testing went into that before the released it.
From a CyberTruck engineer:

"Frunk pinch detection is a learning algorithm which will increase the closing force each time it's cycled back to back without successfully latching.Imagine there is a big bag inside the frunk it might also trigger the pinch detection. Then you might try closing it again, and again... exactly as you are doing in this video. The algorithm assumes that if you are repeatedly trying to close the frunk it's because you, as the human in loop know better and believe it should close."

From a CyberTruck engineer:

"Frunk pinch detection is a learning algorithm which will increase the closing force each time it's cycled back to back without successfully latching.Imagine there is a big bag inside the frunk it might also trigger the pinch detection. Then you might try closing it again, and again... exactly as you are doing in this video. The algorithm assumes that if you are repeatedly trying to close the frunk it's because you, as the human in loop know better and believe it should close."
lol if we had stuff like that when I was growing up my older brother would have dared us to put our finger in the trunk.
Then he would show us what a man he was by putting his in first.
Well of course one of us would have to accepted the challenge since he did not get squeezed.
The day would of course end with a Trip to the Doctor and one of us getting a massive spanking.

Last edited:
lol if we had stuff like that when I was growing up my older brother would have dared us to put our finger in the trunk. Then he would show us what a man he was by putting his in first.
Well of course one of us would have to accepted the challenge since he did not get squeezed. The day would of course end with a Trip to the hospital and one of us getting a massive spanking.
Haaaa true… back then that was what boys did to find limits and grow into a real man who knew how to do about anything without getting hurt…
If he did get hurt or taken out, those that were watching learned a life lesson to carry on with and pass down to the next crop.

I swear I don’t know how I survived the stupid stuff we did as kids…

Haaaa true… back then that was what boys did to find limits and grow into a real man who knew how to do about anything without getting hurt…
If he did get hurt or taken out, those that were watching learned a life lesson to carry on with and pass down to the next crop.

Oh Yeah and with all us Brothers plus Cousins being close in age we had a wild time.
Just like you I look back and wonder how the heck we survived. Unlike today none of us gave away free advice unless it was because it was really dangerous. Typically lessons learned the hard way were only shared by letting the next Sibling have the experience while they laughed.
I do remember learning very early on in life just how much energy Gasoline could produce and the need for longer fuses on the Fire crackers. :ROFLMAO:.
None the less we all had each others backs. Just like Wednesday said in the Adams Family, no one tortures my brother except for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRH
Oh Yeah and with all us Brothers plus Cousins being close in age we had a wild time.
Just like you I look back and wonder how the heck we survived. Unlike today none of us gave away free advice unless it was because it was really dangerous. Typically lessons learned the hard way were only shared by letting the next Sibling have the experience while they laughed.
I do remember learning very early on in life just how much energy Gasoline could produce and the need for longer fuses on Fireworks :ROFLMAO:.
None the less we all had each others backs. Just like Wednesday said in the Adams Family, no one tortures my brother except for me.
Yep , you don’t forget when it hurts…..if ya don’t die , ya become very good at stuff.

“Scars are souvenirs you never lose… the past is never far.”

(Goo Goo Dolls…1995 )

Last edited:

A near-lifelong friend of mine referred to it as "The Adolescent Primate Elimination Program" and quoted Stephen King as saying that adolescence is the age when boys try to kill themselves and girls try to kill each other.

Apparently similar behavior is seen in most primate species.

My impression is that it's an evolutionary mechanism for finding useful new behaviors and eliminating mistaken old lore that some behavior is dangerous and should be avoided (e.g. "tomatoes are a nightshade and poisonous so don't eat them"):

Upon reaching an age where the body has reached full growth (and the brain nearly so), in addition to pushing the envelope (to get used to it, learn how to operate it, build it up, and give deleterious genetic traits a chance to kill him off before he fathers children), a male adolescent enters a rebellious phase, picks one rule (or a small number of them) and makes a practice of breaking breaking it regularly. Occasionally the rule was preventing doing something useful, other members pick it up, and a bad taboo is killed off. More often the rule is protecting against something dangerous. Then he learns not to do it any more, and/or is injured or killed. It's less of a loss to the tribe/local population if this happens before he has a mate and offspring to support and/or bring into being if his genome is otherwise good and he just picked the wrong rule to break. Other times the rule is not strongly selective either way: Maybe he'll drop the rule-breaknig to get along, maybe keep it up as a personality/style issue, which may lead to social divergence among tribes/groups and eventual group-level selection if the particular behavior has a less immediate or severe advantage/disadvantage.

A near-lifelong friend of mine referred to it as "The Adolescent Primate Elimination Program" and quoted Stephen King as saying that adolescence is the age when boys try to kill themselves and girls try to kill each other.

Apparently similar behavior is seen in most primate species.

My impression is that it's an evolutionary mechanism for finding useful new behaviors and eliminating mistaken old lore that some behavior is dangerous and should be avoided (e.g. "tomatoes are a nightshade and poisonous so don't eat them"):

Upon reaching an age where the body has reached full growth (and the brain nearly so), in addition to pushing the envelope (to get used to it, learn how to operate it, build it up, and give deleterious genetic traits a chance to kill him off before he fathers children), a male adolescent enters a rebellious phase, picks one rule (or a small number of them) and makes a practice of breaking breaking it regularly. Occasionally the rule was preventing doing something useful, other members pick it up, and a bad taboo is killed off. More often the rule is protecting against something dangerous. Then he learns not to do it any more, and/or is injured or killed. It's less of a loss to the tribe/local population if this happens before he has a mate and offspring to support and/or bring into being if his genome is otherwise good and he just picked the wrong rule to break. Other times the rule is not strongly selective either way: Maybe he'll drop the rule-breaknig to get along, maybe keep it up as a personality/style issue, which may lead to social divergence among tribes/groups and eventual group-level selection if the particular behavior has a less immediate or severe advantage/disadvantage.
Nature does cull the herd..every herd ….and sends the best equipped and most adaptable forward for what needed to survive and procreate .. the others are recycled ( so to speak)…..
It’s been that way since the beginning…

But I’m beginning to wonder, has Nature been distracted since about the mid 90’s.
She has a lot of catch -up work to do when she comes back around.

😳…..

The best part is Stephen King has been writing about adolescence 60 years past his experience of it. Just imagine what went down in Bangor that scared this guy. I write this as someone who’s read 60 plus books and short stories buy the ultimate loser at van avoidance.

He does have an amazing house that lives up to what you expect.

diy solar

diy solar
Back