diy solar

diy solar

48v Battery Bank (got a deal, I think)

ColdSun

I'm acquiring "stuff" for my first build, and I got a impossible-to-resist deal from a friend who has backed out of one of his own projects: four identical, new, 12v 100ah LiFePo batteries....I don't recall the exact brand right now, but I'm able to hook in series, according to their own specs I looked up.

But I read some people saying it's way better just have one big 48V battery.

I was gonna get this "Eco-Worthy" battery balancer of Amazon to avoid the problems I've been reading about with uneven charge and discharge and such.

Am I on track?

It is better to have a single 48V bank instead of four 12V packs. Easier, less issues with balancing, less components that can go wrong... of course, you should define what "a impossible-to-resist deal" really means. Can you put a number on it (and the name/brand of the battery as well).

It is better to have a single 48V bank instead of four 12V packs. Easier, less issues with balancing, less components that can go wrong... of course, you should define what "a impossible-to-resist deal" really means. Can you put a number on it (and the name/brand of the battery as well).
HayaEnergy 12.8 V, 100ah, 1280Wh, model YX-12100LF four pack $400, unused, new.

--I guess that's half price from what they'd be on Amazon.

As long as you know that there are issues putting them in series with balancing, go for it - as long as that is what you need capacity/current wise. If you plan to expand later on, I'd recommend planning for that now and only buy things you know will be suitable longer term.

If your friend will let you load test these in a 48v configuration prior to purchase, then $400 might be a decent deal.

Otherwise, I could see these 4 batteries potentially being more hassle than they're worth in a 48v configuration. One weak battery or reluctant BMS will bring down the performance of the entire pack.

Used in a 12v config, the potential value of these 4 batteries goes up considerably.

Good luck!

Last edited:
That is approx. 5kWh, seems a little small for a 48 volt system. What is the plan for this system? Perhaps a lower voltage setup would be a better fit for these?

Just run it in series. It's fine. You paid about a third of the price, so if they go bad in 5 years, you're still ahead

Back