diy solar

diy solar

50a AC wire in RV

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
What type of wire? I may or may not be able to get it behind the coreplast. What is my ideal wire going from the back to the RV to the front, distance is approximately 35'. Need 6g 4 wires, L1, L2, N, and G.

I see multiple opportunities, both ends are protected from weather
  1. SOOW cable (can this be exposed and attached to the frame)?
  2. Outdoor direct burial romex, (does it come in stranded?)
  3. Individual wires in an outdoor rated conduit (can wires running both forward and back be in the same conduit?)
  4. Any other style I've missed?

1. Any other style I've missed?
1) Welding cable is super flexible if that helps.
2) 6/4 Marine cable (tin plated copper) is another choice. Its similar to SOOW cable regarding having an outer jacket.

BTW with the 6AWG wire you should be using a 50 or 60A breaker or fuse, if so then a 10AWG ground wire is all that's needed. Of course with SOOW or Marine cable its all bundled together and usually the conductors are all the same size.

2) 6/4 Marine cable (tin plated copper) is another choice. Its similar to SOOW cable regarding having an outer jacket.

BTW with the 6AWG wire you should be using a 50 or 60A breaker or fuse, if so then a 10AWG ground wire is all that's needed. Of course with SOOW or Marine cable its all bundled together and usually the conductors are all the same size.
Most power poles have a 50a breaker built into them.... but it just dawned on me where I'm currently parked, I didn't see a fuse or breaker. Great something else I need to deal with!

Where do you get 6/4 marine cable? I have searched and searched for it. I can find 6/3 boat cable all day long. Please tell me where :)

Neither of those are really any different than 6/4 SOOW cord except the one from general cable appears to be tinned. When we do 30A work we can use 8/3 boat cable. It's very flexible and easier to work with than 8/3 SOOW. For 50A service we generally use 6/4 SOOW or run individual 6AWG welding wire through flexible water-tight conduit. That's a PITA, too :)

Thanks for the tips, though!

Back