diy solar

diy solar

6 space RV park powered by solar only? Is it doable?

90 kw for 1 space is an atrocious waste of power and money. How do you figure so much is necessary remember these are tiny homes probably 500 Sq feet
90 kWh battery capacity.

30 kWh per day, times 3 days. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I ran a quote for someone with a similar business plan. He had 30 acres about 50 miles Las Vegas & wanted to run a 100% off-grid RV park. We came up with almost 30 kWh/day/spot. This did not include the energy needs of common facilities & infrastructure (office, restrooms, etc).

This is pretty reasonable given the average household uses 30kWh/day.

At HBR, in two RVs (one just sits there doing nothing most of the time). We use 6-7kWh/day WHEN WHERE NOT THERE... running 75W of lights to keep the vermin from nesting and float chargers keeping RV batteries topped off. For 16 hours out of the day, we're running an absorption fridge on AC.

When we're there, if we run our AC water heater, single A/C unit, fridge, etc, we pull 18kWh without trying... and that's only running A/C for about 8-10 hours during time we're getting solar.

Just come I'm an engineer, doesn't mean I still don't slip the odd decimal point. :unsure::whistle::giggle: Thanks for catching that.

Glad I went with the 30 kWh per day number. Hopefully, the rest of my numbers still end up at about $14K per cabin (assuming you allow for reserve battery capacity to cover cloudy days).
Just come I'm an engineer, doesn't mean I still don't slip the odd decimal point. :unsure::whistle::giggle: Thanks for catching that. I live in Phoenix AZ, so those power numbers seemed legit. I have paid $500 a month for power here in the summer.

Glad I went with the 30 kWh per day number. Hopefully, the rest of my numbers still end up at about $14K per cabin (assuming you allow for reserve battery capacity to cover cloudy days).
The 30 kWh/day/pad estimate I arrived at *did not* include summer months, since the RV park would mostly empty given that it is in the Nevada desert. Ideally it should be a lot lower. However, most RV'ers who pay for a full service site expect unlimited electricity service and will not attempt to conserve. We even considered 3 tiers of metered service.

The land owner did not go with a full solar plan since the overall cost was almost $1M.

To make a estimate of costs you first need to know what the power company is providing. Is this the cost to bring power to the property line with additional costs to extend it to the meter location. I assume they will provide 240 volt but at how many amps, who owns the transformer?

Tightwad rule #1: Spend other people's money. A development will always have ongoing utilities expenses (water, sewer/septic, garbage collection, road/facilities,etc.) so I see no reason power shouldn't be treated the same way, especially when you cannot control/dictate its consumption by the consumer. Presently, new Lennar/KB/et al. market homes grid-tied with great success, but solar is a selling point, and the proposition of them selling these homes as 'off-grid', but solar, changes that selling point drastically.

I like this idea. A meager $25/month charge for "free" electricity is very reasonable given the up-front investment, maintenance and upgrades.

Of course, it might create a barrier to entry into the cult. Have to see how that plays out.

Hawaii has only a 7Kwh average per day probably because they have expensive power and mild climate.

If he cooks and heats water with propane and the RVs are under tree shading then I don't see why
it couldn't use way less than 30Kwh a day.

Also 300 watt panels can be a lot cheaper than $200 each. More like $80 or less.
So $1600 instead of $4000 saving $2400
Over panel to run AC on solar power during the day.

For one household $14,000 is a winner even at 30Kwh a day over $18,000 to bring in grid power.

Hawaii has only a 7Kwh average per day probably because they have expensive power and mild climate.

If he cooks and heats water with propane and the RVs are under tree shading then I don't see why
it couldn't use way less than 30Kwh a day.

Also 300 watt panels can be a lot cheaper than $200 each. More like $80 or less.
So $1600 instead of $4000 saving $2400
Over panel to run AC on solar power during the day.

For one household $14,000 is a winner even at 30Kwh a day over $18,000 to bring in grid power.
Yup, one space is the break even point. More than one space, just get grid power, you will never break even (the batteries will die before you recoup your investment).

It is not that a motivated home owner can't stay under 30 kWh, the real question is why would the people renting his cabins be willing to do so? Is he going to charge them half price because he doesn't have a power bill?

Don't forget that electric cars are coming. One Tesla in the parking space and the power budget is blown.

One other financial issue.

If he sinks a serious amount of money into solar, it is unlikely to really effect the real estate value of the land. Bringing utility power to the lot will make a big difference in what he could sell the place for if he decides to get out of the cabin rental business. Used solar equipment, especially If sold as part of a bankruptcy is unlikely to earn more than 10% of the purchase cost. I also doubt if a bank is going to be willing to finance a big solar investment like that when for less than $20K he can have utility power.

You could build any size system you could possibly want or need with SMA equipment.
Smallest would be one 6 kW Sunny Island with 5 kWH of battery and a Sunny Boy with a few PV panels.
Single cluster of four Sunny Island 24 kW at night with 500 kWh battery and 48 kW of Sunny Boy with 75 kW or so of PV panels, multiple orientations.
Multi-cluster totaling 120 kW of Sunny Islands, 2.5 MWh of batteries distributed, 375 kW of PV panels.
Any of these would work with generators as well.

Beyond that they offer 4 MW battery and PV inverters

Their systems can (and do) power a cabin, resort, island, or country.

All it takes is $$$$$$$$$ :)

There is the time factor. The off-grid system has a much lower operating cost. I pay about $2600/year for power, so 10 years of that makes for a nice system.

Last edited:
90 kWh battery capacity.

30 kWh per day, times 3 days. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
I think you guys need to learn how to conserve energy. We only use 10kw per day in a 2000 sq ft house with 3 people living in it full time. The OP ststed an average of 500 watts / hour or 12kw per day.

Im not saying this is or isnt a good idea you guys just cant think outside the box or just dont want anybody to succede it seems like.

I think you guys need to learn how to conserve energy. We only use 10kw per day in a 2000 sq ft house with 3 people living in it full time. The OP ststed an average of 500 watts / hour or 12kw per day.

Im not saying this is or isnt a good idea you guys just cant think outside the box or just dont want anybody to succede it seems like.
And you can't seem to understand this is for a rental property to be rented to people care nothing for our solar power sensibilities. They just want to leave the door open with the AC running and dry their laundry with a hair drier.

And you can't seem to understand this is for a rental property to be rented to people care nothing for our solar power sensibilities. They just want to leave the door open with the AC running and dry their laundry with a hair drier.
How do you know that?

I do understand that people will waste energy if it is free but like I said earlier we have no clue as to who his clients will be.

The OP has enough info now to run the numbers with 12Kw per day and cheaper solar panels. Racking, wires, fuses etc can add up too.
He has not replied or given more info about who is living in the 6 RVs and if they will pay a monthly fee for power to help pay for the initial cost.
Lots of unknowns that would make a decision.

The OP has enough info now to run the numbers with 12Kw per day and cheaper solar panels. Racking, wires, fuses etc can add up too.
He has not replied or given more info about who is living in the 6 RVs and if they will pay a monthly fee for power to help pay for the initial cost.
Yes for sure I agree 100% and just hope they are not discouraged from the postings last night. We need way more information!

Yes Racking is important thing I forgot but he said he is hoping to use his roof. My ground mount racking cost more than my panels although I got panels for next to nothing.

One of the biggest things you can do to make this doable is install mini-splits for A/C. You've got to make these things energy-efficient to pull this off.

Racking, wires, fuses etc can add up too.
Not to mention a back up generator, likely auto start, so inverters that can communicate that.
Fuel, permits, conduit, rv pedestals/disconnects. Not to mention the other infrastructure costs, sewer(septic), water lines. Is OP as the owner going to have a maintenance shop? Air compressors? welders? misc shop tools? A maintenance shop alone would be a larger draw than any single 1 hookup spot. Not to mention his own house (tiny or not). I assumed the 6 spots doesnt include his place or a shop. In which case your now like 8 spots or only 4 "paying customers" out of your 6.

But then again my napkin math I started with was a "does this lead balloon float" and my quick answer was a long way from yes. The more you pick at it the farther it gets from a good idea IMHO.

But as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are easily departed"

The guy for whom I ran the quote had managed RV parks and has a lot of 1st hand experience with the clientele. The typical RV'er who arrives in a 40 ft class A motorhome is simply not energy conscious; even more so when they are not *directly* paying for the energy. Encountered something similar in the motel business. Many solar (PV & thermal) retrofits we did for motels had a common theme - the guest is simply not energy conscious. For example, according to the motel owners, over 70% of the guests leave the hot water running while brushing their teeth. Many motels have installed door activated switches that shut off electric power to the rooms. Implementing hot water saving gadgets is not that easy.

It seems kinda obvious to me that whatever plan the OP had was not going to be a typical RV park ..... and that it is ridiculous to equate a tiny house to an average household. People live in tiny houses because they want a tiny footprint.

I hope the OP shows back up so we can find out more about what his vision was, but I fear he has been scared off by all the doom and gloom and people telling him he is nuts for even considering something like this and accusing him of starting a cult.

As forums grow they seem to attract more an more people who live to show how smart they are and how stupid other people are.

As forums grow they seem to attract more an more people who live to show how smart they are and how stupid other people are.

Common trend in online communities, as they grow, it becomes harder and harder to be heard, so the louder and obnoxious commentary gets more notice. First seen in Usenet, the crowding-out of the old guard as the venue collapses under the pressure of too much content/participation (impacting value and usability) is referred to as 'Eternal September', freshman getting introduced to Usenet every September. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Still, we must assume OP desired opinions, both affirming and detracting, when posing the question. Hopefully they glean a more realistic approach to their circumstances, and if so, we've all done our job splendidly.

diy solar

diy solar
Back