diy solar

diy solar

6000XP won't talk to EG4-LL

So, hook the batteries up. You can always set the Invertor to Lead Acid batteries, and they will work until you get the firmware updated, if it's needed. I assure you, you will be very satisfied once it all just works and you know you made it happen yourself.

Good luck, and just ping me directly if you need any help at all.
Much appreciated.

Update --- All working correctly
Try LUX protocol on CAN first and wait at least 5 mins
Update battery firmware if necessary.
Batteries in sequence with master battery ID 1
Thanks all for the input.

Update --- All working correctly
Try LUX protocol on CAN first and wait at least 5 mins
Update battery firmware if necessary.
Batteries in sequence with master battery ID 1
Thanks all for the input.
Can someone tell me how to set the "Lux" protocal that is repeatedly mentioned in this thread? Is this a setting in the inverter or a setting on the battery? We are having same problem with EG4 6000xp and the LL batteries. But I don't see anything about a Lux setting in the inverter manual. Thanks.

Can someone tell me how to set the "Lux" protocal that is repeatedly mentioned in this thread? Is this a setting in the inverter or a setting on the battery? We are having same problem with EG4 6000xp and the LL batteries. But I don't see anything about a Lux setting in the inverter manual. Thanks.
This video is will show you what to do.

This video is will show you what to do.

The video is good except the recommendation for the 6000xp is to use the CAN port for communication, so you would want to change the CAN protocol to LUX rather than the rs485. The battery type in the inverter should be left at the default of EG4.

The information posted in this thread should be helpful. Make sure that the Lithium Brand on the inverter is also set to "0." If you do have any questions, feel free to let me know.

The information posted in this thread should be helpful. Make sure that the Lithium Brand on the inverter is also set to "0." If you do have any questions, feel free to let me know.
Jared, thanks for the info. We ordered the cable to do the firmware update. But, we have another issue now. It seems that tech support is telling us that the low voltage cutoff setting doesn't work if there is no AC input, which makes no sense whatsoever, and if it is true, this inverter is worthless to us--and worthless in an off grid setting. (see quote below, and we have 200AH batteries). How could you possibly have an inverter designed for off grid usage and not have the battery low voltage cutoff function work without AC input? You have to have a functional low voltage cutoff setting. We can't be sitting around every time we charge and having to manual stop the charge before the battery voltage gets too low. The 6000EX didn't work this way. The reason this came up is that even though we have the low voltage cutoff set to 46, it ran the batteries down to zippo. Help... cjr

"With AC charge disabled, if battery power is the only power source available aside from PV there will be nothing that hinders the battery from discharging in order to power the loads. Inverters will prioritize the loads over the charge of the battery. I see your capacity is limited to 100Ah, do you have more batteries that can be added to the bank? This will help tremendously in ensuring that your batteries do not drop below 20% or the cutoff voltage since that's the way the inverter is set up to read the batteries off voltage."

Our EG4 LL 100AH batteries have 4 dip switches on the side, not 6 on the front. There isn't a battery meeting these specs on the EG4 website, so I have no idea what firmware to use to do the update. The battery isn't listed on their legacy products or current products page. *sigh*.. this is getting beyond frustrating to exacerbating...

Jared, thanks for the info. We ordered the cable to do the firmware update. But, we have another issue now. It seems that tech support is telling us that the low voltage cutoff setting doesn't work if there is no AC input, which makes no sense whatsoever, and if it is true, this inverter is worthless to us--and worthless in an off grid setting. (see quote below, and we have 200AH batteries). How could you possibly have an inverter designed for off grid usage and not have the battery low voltage cutoff function work without AC input? You have to have a functional low voltage cutoff setting. We can't be sitting around every time we charge and having to manual stop the charge before the battery voltage gets too low. The 6000EX didn't work this way. The reason this came up is that even though we have the low voltage cutoff set to 46, it ran the batteries down to zippo. Help... cjr

"With AC charge disabled, if battery power is the only power source available aside from PV there will be nothing that hinders the battery from discharging in order to power the loads. Inverters will prioritize the loads over the charge of the battery. I see your capacity is limited to 100Ah, do you have more batteries that can be added to the bank? This will help tremendously in ensuring that your batteries do not drop below 20% or the cutoff voltage since that's the way the inverter is set up to read the batteries off voltage."

They are correct, setting 12 EOD will not function correctly (switching to grid) if there is no AC input. What they should have mentioned to answer your question is that setting 11 Cutoff (Voltage or SOC) should will accomplish what you need.

I would set both settings 11 and 12 to your absolute lowest SOC / voltage needed.

They are correct, setting 12 EOD will not function correctly (switching to grid) if there is no AC input. What they should have mentioned to answer your question is that setting 11 Cutoff (Voltage or SOC) should will accomplish what you need.

I would set both settings 11 and 12 to your absolute lowest SOC / voltage needed.
Thank you! Do you happen to know when/how it will return power to loads? Just like the 6000 ex, there doesn't appear to be a return power to loads setting. But, the 6000ex appeared to have a default setting of about 50%. So, it would cut off at 20%, and it would automatically resume once it was back up to about 50% SOC. Wondering if the 6000ex has similar return to load default.

Thank you! Do you happen to know when/how it will return power to loads? Just like the 6000 ex, there doesn't appear to be a return power to loads setting. But, the 6000ex appeared to have a default setting of about 50%. So, it would cut off at 20%, and it would automatically resume once it was back up to about 50% SOC. Wondering if the 6000ex has similar return to load default.
The EOD setting starts running the inverter again at 10% higher than there threshold you set. The Cutoff setting might function the same way but I don’t know for sure. I totally agree BTW that another set of settings to be able to control the upper thresholds would be nice.

Our EG4 LL 100AH batteries have 4 dip switches on the side, not 6 on the front. There isn't a battery meeting these specs on the EG4 website, so I have no idea what firmware to use to do the update. The battery isn't listed on their legacy products or current products page. *sigh*.. this is getting beyond frustrating to exacerbating...

The firmware would be found here: https://eg4electronics.com/categories/batteries/eg4-ll-48v-100ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery

Inside the file, there is a distinction between the 4-dip switch and 6-dip switch version. Also, DIYPV is correct. With setting 11 set properly, the only draw on the battery would be the idle consumption once the discharge depth is reached.

The EOD setting starts running the inverter again at 10% higher than there threshold you set. The Cutoff setting might function the same way but I don’t know for sure. I totally agree BTW that another set of settings to be able to control the upper thresholds would be nice.
Thanks for the info. We finally got the battery firmware updated and the com working. Took 3 hours on the phone with tech support this morning. Testing now to see if the Low voltage cutoff kicks in now that battery coms is working. Appears that 11& 12 need to be set the same. I tried to set them differently so, if the LV cutoff does kick in, we could confirm which setting was controlling.. but no dice. Thinking out load here, if the EOD start resumes discharge at 10% above the EOD setting, than we probably want it set to Voltage to control the EOD instead of SOC. If the EOD setting is based on SOC, and it is set to 20%, then the inverter is going to resume loads at 22%. That means it will be turning on and off constantly. But if it's set to Voltage, and the 10% figure still applies, if the cutoff were 48V, it would turn back on at 52.8V, which would be a lot more practical. However, there are a lot of "if's" in this musings... need to see if the inverter actually turns off discharge when it reaches 20%. At 60% now... sun is sinking, so should know in a couple of hours....
The firmware would be found here: https://eg4electronics.com/categories/batteries/eg4-ll-48v-100ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery

Inside the file, there is a distinction between the 4-dip switch and 6-dip switch version. Also, DIYPV is correct. With setting 11 set properly, the only draw on the battery would be the idle consumption once the discharge depth is reached.
Thanks Jared, can you confirm the point at which the inverter will resume discharge? On the 6000ex, it appeared to be at about 50%, but we never got battery com working on the EX, and I can't remember if it was 50% of the actual battery voltage, or when the inverter thought the batteries were at 50%..... BTW, Tier one Tech support today was very good, patient, diligent. The previous tier 2 support, confirming that the EX was dead, getting the RMA, returning the EX, getting the XP, was way more lengthy and tedious than necessary. (FYI, it did shut off discharge at 20%!).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We finally got the battery firmware updated and the com working. Took 3 hours on the phone with tech support this morning. Testing now to see if the Low voltage cutoff kicks in now that battery coms is working. Appears that 11& 12 need to be set the same. I tried to set them differently so, if the LV cutoff does kick in, we could confirm which setting was controlling.. but no dice. Thinking out load here, if the EOD start resumes discharge at 10% above the EOD setting, than we probably want it set to Voltage to control the EOD instead of SOC. If the EOD setting is based on SOC, and it is set to 20%, then the inverter is going to resume loads at 22%. That means it will be turning on and off constantly. But if it's set to Voltage, and the 10% figure still applies, if the cutoff were 48V, it would turn back on at 52.8V, which would be a lot more practical. However, there are a lot of "if's" in this musings... need to see if the inverter actually turns off discharge when it reaches 20%. At 60% now... sun is sinking, so should know in a couple of hours....

Thanks Jared, can you confirm the point at which the inverter will resume discharge? On the 6000ex, it appeared to be at about 50%, but we never got battery com working on the EX, and I can't remember if it was 50% of the actual battery voltage, or when the inverter thought the batteries were at 50%..... BTW, Tier one Tech support today was very good, patient, diligent. The previous tier 2 support, confirming that the EX was dead, getting the RMA, returning the EX, getting the XP, was way more lengthy and tedious than necessary. (FYI, it did shut off discharge at 20%!).

If you set EOD (Setting 12) based on SOC to 20% then the inverter will switch to grid (around 19-20%), and then will switch back to battery after increasing 10% SOC (around 29-30%).

Not sure how battery cutoff for setting 11 works, but I read on this forum that the inverter turns back on once the MPPT starts.. so if that’s true then everything should work as you need it to.

If you set EOD (Setting 12) based on SOC to 20% then the inverter will switch to grid (around 19-20%), and then will switch back to battery after increasing 10% SOC (around 29-30%).

Not sure how battery cutoff for setting 11 works, but I read on this forum that the inverter turns back on once the MPPT starts.. so if that’s true then everything should work as you need it to.
You were absolutely correct. This is exactly how it is working. Turns off discharge at about 20% and it resumes at about 30%. Wish there was a way to change that resume figure.

I need some help to sort this out.

I just installed my 6000 xp with my electricians help. I have (3) EG4-ll batteries (order #36750) and (3) EG4-LL v2 batteries (order # 83296). Before startup we followed page 56 of the manual to ensure all electrical connections and readings were correct per the specs. Everything appeases to be working except the solar output is way below expected and I am not sure why only the inverter is not connecting thru BMS to the batteries. I setup the dongle and it is connected via wifi and currently outputting to the desktop browser.

First – do I need to update my firmware in any of my batteries (which I have not done unless you direct me to do so)? If so please send link for downloading firmware and instructions to do so.

Second – Any help on the recommended settings I should set for my system?

I followed the EG4 video on how to setup with BMS connection (
1:29 to 5:41)

1. Put first dip switches right on master (over right)
2. Power it off then back on again
3. Hold 3rd button down to protocol settings
4. Go into CAN settings
5. Select LUX
6. Return dip switch to master settings (first one to left)
7. Turn on batteries starting from top down
8. Turn on battery breaker to inverter
9. Select enter for 3 secs to select protocol menu
10. Go to 3 and select Li-ion and O for battery type.

What am I doing wrong and what should I change? I've attached a pdf of the current inverter settings,

Attachments

• Remote_Set_4053741648.pdf
    547.6 KB · Views: 1
I need some help to sort this out.

I just installed my 6000 xp with my electricians help. I have (3) EG4-ll batteries (order #36750) and (3) EG4-LL v2 batteries (order # 83296). Before startup we followed page 56 of the manual to ensure all electrical connections and readings were correct per the specs. Everything appeases to be working except the solar output is way below expected and I am not sure why only the inverter is not connecting thru BMS to the batteries. I setup the dongle and it is connected via wifi and currently outputting to the desktop browser.

First – do I need to update my firmware in any of my batteries (which I have not done unless you direct me to do so)? If so please send link for downloading firmware and instructions to do so.

Second – Any help on the recommended settings I should set for my system?

I followed the EG4 video on how to setup with BMS connection (
1:29 to 5:41)

1. Put first dip switches right on master (over right)
2. Power it off then back on again
3. Hold 3rd button down to protocol settings
4. Go into CAN settings
5. Select LUX
6. Return dip switch to master settings (first one to left)
7. Turn on batteries starting from top down
8. Turn on battery breaker to inverter
9. Select enter for 3 secs to select protocol menu
10. Go to 3 and select Li-ion and O for battery type.

What am I doing wrong and what should I change? I've attached a pdf of the current inverter settings,

Would you be able to post a picture of the battery bank and the BMS cable connecting to the inverter?

Do you have an alternative standard CAT5/5E/6 cable to test the connection from the CAN port on the master battery to the BMS port on the 6000XP?
Yes the one included in the kit? I received two from SS with my inverter. One says "Bat Com" the "Parallel Com". Which one should I use. BTW the cable I am using was working with my old 6500 inverter I just sent back.

Yes the one included in the kit? I received two from SS with my inverter. One says "Bat Com" the "Parallel Com". Which one should I use. BTW the cable I am using was working with my old 6500 inverter I just sent back.

I would recommend trying the Bat Com cable included with the kit. The 6500-battery communication cable is pinned out differently.

Back