diy solar

diy solar

600VDC STRINGS - BREAKER BOX OR DC DISCONNECT?

Ralo

I need help figuring out what to use to isolate my PV arrays from my PV inverters whenever necessary. I have 6 strings which are near 600 volts each. I'm not paralelling them, so I will have 6 strings in and 6 strings out. What should/could I use are a disconnect? I've done searches and having 600 volt strings seems to be rare. Feedback please!

I was thinking about this David Poz video @17:27 "Couple wires a huge, High Voltage, Solar PV Array, 12.6kW"
but there is only about 300V for each string.

I reviewed few DC switches which seems to handle 1000V DC.

Last edited:
6 of these in a box , found lower on the page.

DC Miniature Circuit Breaker, 2 Pole 1000V 16 Amp Isolator for Solar PV System, Thermal Magnetic Trip, DIN Rail Mount, Chtaixi DC Disconnect Switch C16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0983ZB3VD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_02ZE4TA0ZZ6A550STJ53?psc=1
Nice shootin Tex.
I need help figuring out what to use to isolate my PV arrays from my PV inverters whenever necessary. I have 6 strings which are near 600 volts each. I'm not paralelling them, so I will have 6 strings in and 6 strings out. What should/could I use are a disconnect? I've done searches and having 600 volt strings seems to be rare. Feedback please!
Read the small print, wire size, amps, etc. before spending $16 to stop 600 volts.

6 of these in a box , found lower on the page.

DC Miniature Circuit Breaker, 2 Pole 1000V 16 Amp Isolator for Solar PV System, Thermal Magnetic Trip, DIN Rail Mount, Chtaixi DC Disconnect Switch C16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0983ZB3VD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_02ZE4TA0ZZ6A550STJ53?psc=1
This looks promising! The specs of my panels are below. I have six strings, six panels each. I know that the voltage is added. Are the amps added as well? And if so, do I calculate the rated amps or the short circuit amps?

1646101655314.png

Rated amp, are what's expected in perfect conditions.
And rarely ever seen.

Can you recommend an outdoor box? I really don't know what to choose
Two of these will give you 2 empty slots for future.

smseace Circuit Breaker Box Distribution Protection Box, ABS Plastic Transparent Cover Waterproof Distribution Box IP65, for Indoor Wall Circuit Breaker (8 Way ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0957BWHGD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_JBAP455B0AEQXCS7PG9R?psc=1

Also, I found these switches? They are 4 pole so I would need 3 of them. Does this seen like a good option?

Yes, those are good quality.
Just expensive.

Last edited:
Can you recommend an outdoor box? I really don't know what to choose.

Also, I found these switches? They are 4 pole so I would need 3 of them. Does this seen like a good option?

View attachment 85663
I bought two of their 6 pole for my 400vdc 6 strings. It breaks pos and neg. Install a pullbox beneath if you want to install MNSPD600.

I bought two of their 6 pole for my 400vdc 6 strings. It breaks pos and neg. Install a pullbox beneath if you want to install MNSPD600.
I was looking that the 6 pole version but they are so much more expensive. How much did you pay?

1646152674695.png

I was looking that the 6 pole version but they are so much more expensive. How much did you pay?

View attachment 85708
Call Jeff at Industrial Controls near Atlanta. Ph: (770) 274-3088. I don’t have the invoice in front of me or I would tell you. But I don’t think it was that much. Of course everything seems to have went up 25% since May of last year. They are very high quality.

That will work. However, I prefer to be able to shut strings down individually. I suppose you can turn off the switch and then disconnect the necessary string. And then turn on the switch to get the other string going again.

Back