diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount wiring enclosure?

rhino

Solar Wizard
Looking for recommendations for wiring enclosure and components inside to mount on a ground mount array. This is for 5 separate PV strings that will all have separate runs back to the charge controller. Max Voc would be 450V. What I was thinking so far is:
But now wondering what exactly I can use to transition the the 5 separate PV strings to the 10 AWG XHHW-2 and provide some means of disconnect?

I know Midnite and others provide 1000V 30A touch safe fuses but those aren't rated for disconnecting under load.

I also know about the IMO disconnects but with 5 strings would need to get their 8 pole one plus another 2 pole one which seems excessive.

There must be a simple solution I am missing.

Looking for recommendations for wiring enclosure and components inside to mount on a ground mount array. This is for 5 separate PV strings that will all have separate runs back to the charge controller. Max Voc would be 450V. What I was thinking so far is:
But now wondering what exactly I can use to transition the the 5 separate PV strings to the 10 AWG XHHW-2 and provide some means of disconnect?

I know Midnite and others provide 1000V 30A touch safe fuses but those aren't rated for disconnecting under load.

I also know about the IMO disconnects but with 5 strings would need to get their 8 pole one plus another 2 pole one which seems excessive.

There must be a simple solution I am missing.
The Vevor boxes are a great value to keep things dry.

I've been on a breaker / disconnect hunt today...
I think these will work great for you.
MNEPVxx-600-2PP
I saw those but there were two things not in its favor:
  • they are polarized breakers
  • to get the greater then 300VDC rating you'd have to run PV positive through both poles of the breaker preventing you from also disconnecting the negative
Just get the IMOs
I did find source for 4 pole version for $95 each. So can get 3 of those for less than a single 8 pole version. Only question I have with those is it 32A for both strings or 32A per string?

I saw those but there were two things not in its favor:
  • they are polarized breakers
  • to get the greater then 300VDC rating you'd have to run PV positive through both poles of the breaker preventing you from also disconnecting the negative

I did find source for 4 pole version for $95 each. So can get 3 of those for less than a single 8 pole version. Only question I have with those is it 32A for both strings or 32A per string?
I think it's per pole

I would still use the Vevor enclosure to bring wiring in and attach the Midnite surge suppressors but what would be best to combine all the wiring from 5 separate strings with the surge suppressor wiring and the wiring going back to the charge controller?

Do the 5 strings eventually connect in parallel?
If so, one disconnect and fuses per string.

PV leads can connect to pigtails coming from a waterproof junction box. Inside, wire nuts (I like Ideal set-screw nuts) connect THHN/THWN for home run. My combiner box is near the inverters.

Back