diy solar

diy solar

600W Solar with all-in-one Alternator Charging?

So I looked up this Kisae 1250 and it looks on paper to be amazing! Quality sturdy build, good features and an attractive price.

Then I looked at the reviews on Amazon. Two of them state of a parasitic 5w draw after it completes a charge cycle and the solution is to power cycle the unit daily. It’s design quirks like this that have led me to Victron. I don’t just find problems like this with Victron, at least not yet, because they seem to work out the bugs and updating the firmware is easy peasy.

Maybe Kisae has since fixed the issue—have you experienced this problem?

One of the reviews says this only happens occasionally when charging via solar and the other said it only happens occasionally but didn’t state the charging source mode.

If they haven’t fixed this, then that’s a flaw I don’t think I could live with. I fiddle with the solar system enough as it is, but having to remember to power cycle the MPPT every night would drive me nuts, lol.

Hi @Tomthumb62

So today, I used my Van & before starting it up after several days sitting I thought about your question & those Amazon Reviews of 5W standby parasitic drain. So I ran an experiment to get you data, so here goes;

To help you understand this, the following is once I turn on my house batteties ( 0.2 A system drain @ idle - more on that if you wish, but it ain’t the Kisae );

IMG_6587.png

This next one is my switch closing the positive circuit on the Kisae house battery. Note an increase drain of 0.1A

IMG_6588.png

The next one is a few seconds after Kisae starts up & is ready to charge. Note the system total drain is back to 0.2A same as before the Kisae was turned on.

IMG_6589.png

The next one is the Promaster van engine running & charging my house battery which is almost @ 100%. Note it is an AGM.
IMG_6590.png

Hope that helps you @Tomthumb62 ,,, if you need morenfo or interpretation from me just ask.

But to answer to that 5W standby parasite drain ,,, not in my case ,,, the standby drain is pretty minimal like I posted the other day ( but had not tested or collected data ).

Let me know if you have questions 👍.

Last edited:
Hi @Tomthumb62

So today, I used my Van & before starting it up after several days sitting I thought about your question & those Amazon Reviews of 5W standby parasitic drain. So I ran an experiment to get you data, so here goes;

To help you understand this, the following is once I turn on my house batteties ( 0.2 A system drain @ idle - more on that if you wish, but it ain’t the Kisae );

View attachment 193692

This next one is my switch closing the positive circuit on the Kisae house battery. Note an increase drain of 0.1A

View attachment 193693

The next one is a few seconds after Kisae starts up & is ready to charge. Note the system total drain is back to 0.2A same as before the Kisae was turned on.

View attachment 193694

The next one is the Promaster van engine running & charging my house battery which is almost @ 100%. Note it is an AGM.
View attachment 193695

Hope that helps you @Tomthumb62 ,,, if you need morenfo or interpretation from me just ask.

But to answer to that 5W standby parasite drain ,,, not in my case ,,, the standby drain is pretty minimal like I posted the other day ( but had not tested or collected data ).

Let me know if you have questions 👍.
Awesome, that looks good. If and when you get the solar setup, I’d love to hear if you find any glitches or parasitic draw with that.

Looks like overall a way better option than the Renogy version in any case.

Back