diy solar

diy solar

All-In-One Solar Power System (12V) in Van Build

managed to snap up an 1800 Watt progressive Dynamics inverter
Inverter as in an inverter? Or a whizbangcombo RV thingie that is a charger/converter? Maybe I’m ignorant but having serviced a bunch of RVs for folks the last 25?+ years I’ve never seen anything from progressive dynamics that i would want to have. Only owned a couple campers new enough to have a converter and I craigslist disposed of the converters immediately.
When I worked at a utility trailer dealer I only saw mod-sine inverters from the OEMs and that isn’t acceptable for anything not a pure resistive load like a toaster or coffeemaker imho.
Just make sure that inverter is a pure sine inverter and not mod-sine or converter/charger/power supply

Inverter as in an inverter? Or a whizbangcombo RV thingie that is a charger/converter? Maybe I’m ignorant but having serviced a bunch of RVs for folks the last 25?+ years I’ve never seen anything from progressive dynamics that i would want to have. Only owned a couple campers new enough to have a converter and I craigslist disposed of the converters immediately.
When I worked at a utility trailer dealer I only saw mod-sine inverters from the OEMs and that isn’t acceptable for anything not a pure resistive load like a toaster or coffeemaker imho.
Just make sure that inverter is a pure sine inverter and not mod-sine or converter/charger/power supply
Inverter! Not those RV power center converters... 1800 Watt pure sine.

Seems like we are hijacking this thread but yes, inverter. With an automatic transfer switch. Pd1618a is the model. I've pulled 2000 watts for a few seconds just to see what happened before I killed the load.

I may be a new member of the forums but many years of all kinds of researching, digging, repairing etc.

The point I have is if you look, shop and research you can get into solar with reasonable expenses.

But always ready to have a backup ?

I've been boondocking in a bus for 3 years with Prowse's basic 400W system, and I've been real happy with it. Just about everything else on the bus has broken, but the solar PV system has been working just fine. My main use is running my computer desk (computer, monitor, speakers, lamp, and fan).

The available power gets a little skimpy for the two months around the winter solstice, so I recently added a couple of more panels and replaced the battery, but that basic 400W system rocks.

The only thing that would make me nervous about an AIO is being out in the middle of nowhere (TMON), and the thing goes sideways. At that point, it is an All-in-nothing, and I'm dead in the water. I've noticed that when things fail, my wife and daughters all become experts, and their pithy comments about how long it's taking me to fix things leads me to:

1. carry spares ...
2. I'd have to have *two* MPP 12v units on hand, and at $500 or so, it's at least possibly feasible to have two of them mounted, and switch back and forth. BTW, is anyone else having trouble sourcing sales of these MPP units? as in, where to buy?
3. or stay with individual components ... if something fails out in TMON, I can swap in (from spares) just the failed component.

Everything fails, and it will happen at the most inconvenient location, in the most unlikely way ...

I can call AAA to get mechanical repairs done (or have it towed in) ... can't call anybody to get my other on-board systems fixed up, so it behooves you (me) to be an expert at fixing them, with spares on hand ... in my opinion ... if taking things on the road.

Hope this helps ...

BTW, is anyone else having trouble sourcing sales of these MPP units? as in, where to buy?
Watts247.com
USA stock and very responsive support.

Or no support and maybe not warranty follow-through if you try to buy one on the cheap from a china supplier, and weeks to months for delivery?

The only thing that would make me nervous about an AIO is being out in the middle of nowhere (TMON), and the thing goes sideways. At that point, it is an All-in-nothing, and I'm dead in the water. I've noticed that when things fail, my wife and daughters all become experts, and their pithy comments about how long it's taking me to fix things leads me to:

1. carry spares ...
2. I'd have to have *two* MPP 12v units on hand, and at $500 or so, it's at least possibly feasible to have two of them mounted, and switch back and forth. BTW, is anyone else having trouble sourcing sales of these MPP units? as in, where to buy?
3. or stay with individual components ... if something fails out in TMON, I can swap in (from spares) just the failed component.

Everything fails, and it will happen at the most inconvenient location, in the most unlikely way ...

I can call AAA to get mechanical repairs done (or have it towed in) ... can't call anybody to get my other on-board systems fixed up, so it behooves you (me) to be an expert at fixing them, with spares on hand ... in my opinion ... if taking things on the road.

Hope this helps ...
I see this argument occasionally and I always come back to the same thought:

Scenario 1: Your running an AIO in the field and the inverter dies. Now you have no power but the charge controller might still be working. Have to replace the unit and you can't get one locally so you're down until you can get home and order a replacement online.

Scenario 2: You're running a component based system and the inverter dies. Now you have no power but the charge controller might still be working. Have to replace the unit and you can't get one locally so you're down until you can get home and order a replacement online.

At that point it comes down to cost. Since the AIO's are most often cheaper than the components of a similar system, do you spend more on spares for each of your components or just have a spare AIO? In my book a spare AIO that's pre-configured at home is easier to store as a single box than multiple boxes of more expensive components taking up more space. You have the ability to swap either the entire unit or just components that are conveniently stored in the same box.

As for where to buy, watts247.com. Please don't believe you're going to get support or service or speedy responses or replacements from AliBabaXpress and save that $20.

They (24x7) did have them ... thanks for that!

Ouch ... only a 1-yr warranty? I've been trying to avoid 1-yr, as that is basially the new "disposable" these days. Trying to find 2-yr or 3-yr warranties, hoping that it implies more quality in the unit, if vendor has to stand behind it for a longer period. I wonder how "repairable" these MPP units are ...

Again, my only answer to failures in TMON is to carry spares ... either two MPP's, or two (standalone) inverter units ... if one thinks that the most common failure point might be the inverter/AIO unit? If battery bank (qty) done right, we can reconfigure past a single battery failure.

Last edited:
do you spend more on spares for each of your components or just have a spare AIO?
I wound up at an AIO, a second 120V charger option, two different inverter options, 4 SCC options, 4 panel array options, and two battery options.

At $632 for the 1012LV-MK it’s totally a no-brainer. A decent inexpensive 2000W inverter is possible at $300, a midshelf 40A SCC is +$200, and then a 120V charger suitable for solar batteries is nearly $100 and you still don’t have ups-quick utility switchover or a transfer switch or a programming / monitoring interface.

my only answer to failures in TMON is to carry spares
Just having the separate 2000W inverter on the wall is a comfort to me. Easily switchoverable.
And if you source decent 12VDC LED lighting even if something goes down all your lighting and communication device chargers are still live. They even have 12VDC motion sensor and photocell modules - or combos!- for security if you actually feel better with those things.

Achieving backups isn’t troublesome.

Back