diy solar

diy solar

6848 XW Pro system possible with Wind generator?

SRTNorm

Hello, new here and hoping this is the right spot to post this. I tried searching this forum and other forums as well but can't find anything come up. I have a full Schneider system, 6848 XW Pro, MPPT 80 600, 10x 445 Watt panels, and Discovery 42-48-6650 battery, and I'm just wondering if it is possible and what kind of wind generator I could get to add to my system, cold Manitoba winters have tons of wind, but not so much sun.

In theory its possible, but I don't know your equipment for particulars. Unless its a narrow set of circumstances wind generators are a waste of time.

I will eventually get one, but I the cost is so much, I am not willing to spend it this year to get a few hundred extra watt hours a day.

I will get a wind turbine from Primus and this will be much more expensive than the turbines you see on amazon, and will also purchase a dump load and some form or rectifier or charge controller.

This hybrid system will have Victron SCCs charging the battery from solar, and through a separate connection, the wind turbine will charge the battery. I have an inverter separate from all other equipment, and know this will be within my battery limitations.

I reccomend looking at fieldlines.com for a more active forum on Wind energy.

The XW6848 is NOT designed to handle DC input directly. With a 6848 system, that is the job of the charge controller, in your case, the MPPT80. I don't have personal experience with the Schneider charge controllers, because for my own systems I paired Midnight200 controllers to my inverters instead (XW+6848 & SW4024).

Midnight controllers however, are designed to operate with wind output. You need their separate wind controller, the Clipper. Look for it at
You might want to contact Midnight directly and speak with their tech support as to whether or not the Clipper can be adapted to the MPPT80?

If not, you might have to swap out the Midnight controller for the Schneider one. Midnight controllers typically have a lower voltage limit, so you won't be able to have a 10 panel series string. Give us your panel specs, and we can figure that out.

Newbie here to solar and schneider..Many wiring diagrams in the manuals including 2 0r 3 for wind and hydro.. Was amazed at the info the schneider manuals. The info is there and is doable. In the wire diagram section, of the xw power system installation guide. Diagrams b5,b6 and b7 show how to integrate wind OR hydro into the system.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I would like to use Modbus to control the XW Pro 6848 to output or input the power values I calculate. However, I couldn't find corresponding registers on the Modbus Map to input the calculated charging or discharging power.
Modbus Map version 990-91343CAug 10, 2021.

Equipment list:
- Schneider XW Pro 6848
- Schneider MPPT 60 100
- Schneider InsightHome
- 2.4KW battery

I'm researching the same to no avail, please post your findings if you should succeed. Also are you dump loading before battery connection or are you OK with micro cycling.

That previous post was from a member that spammed that question in many different threads, then disappeared when questioned.

Here's a good thread to ask modbus questions.

What are you try to do? With modbus, what are your goals?

Wait, now that I read it again you're probably asking wind questions not modbus questions. I still don't have wind answers.

Back