diy solar

diy solar

About DIY Solar Heating Systems...

DXHum

So I am trying to come up with a solution for this heating need:

Many of the plants in my yard are potted and placed about. In the winter months, these plants are pruned and placed in a shed. During the day, the shed reaches about 68 degrees. But at night, it drops down to 46 degrees and it is only the end of November.

I want to create a heating system for the shed that comes on only at night, using solar power.

I'd like to think that I'm not the only person who has the need. Has anyone else ever set something like this up? If so, would yo be willing to share you plans?

Thanks,
Dx

20% of the heat energy that hits the panels is converted to electricity.

The only energy efficient way to do this with electricity is with an expensive heat pump, and you will need thousands of watts of Solar. Resistance heating is 3-5X less efficient.

"Charging" a thermal mass is way more efficient... Use the sun to heat water that is stored in a large tank inside the shed and insulate the shed.

add a battery and heating pads. the battery could also be charged from the grid should you have a 'cheap rate' available, otherwise it coul just default to the grid.
you would need to do some calculations though to check it is cost effective. no point spending thousands on a system when it costs a lot less to just do it from the grid ....

Sunshine is right on the thermal mass method and that method is the cheapest way to go also you can build most of the parts yourself

First, what @sunshine_eggo said. On sunny days, it's hard to beat the effects of sun beating down on a big, preferably dark-colored, slab of stone, concrete, or even large containers of water, for several hours of the day. They absorb that heat and then release it somewhat slowly as the building cools. The problems are: 1) You need a decent amount of that "thermal mass" to absorb that energy (say, a big tile floor over a concrete bed, with lots of insulation under the concrete), and 2) the sun has this nasty tendency to get covered by clouds during winter days, which means much less (sometimes none) of that heating occurs during those days, so there's no stored heat to be released overnight. But those plants are still gonna need to stay warm, even when there's almost no sun for several days, so now what?

Also, most sheds aren't built with walls of glass u less originally designed and built that way, so that makes the whole "absorb thermal mass" idea a bit impractical without major renovations to the shed itself. It takes a lot of energy to generate heat, and that heat is needed at the very times the sun is least available (winter, and night). So, where does that leave you? We can't know for certain without a lot more information, but understand that heating is just about the toughest thing one can ask a solar electricity system to do. Having tried a number of things, here's what I'd suggest:

Before you do anything, in any situation that requires heat in a building, think about air sealing and insulating. A typical shed has no insulation and leaks air like a sieve, so you're going to be losing much of whatever precious heat you generate, from a y source. Much less expensive to hold onto that heat once it's generated or moved into the space, but air sealing and insulating do cost money upfront. In the long run (years and years) you save money, but is it worth it for a few plants? Not our call to make.

Next, as a general rule, try to capture and move heat to where you need it, rather than attempt to generate it. This basically means using a heat pump in most situations, but again, we're talking a few plants in a shed. Worth it? Not our call.

Bottom line: Unless you want to jump into this with a fair amount of money and time, basically as a hobby, forget doing it with solar for a few plants in a shed. You're not going to find some gadget that will do this, and it's not going to be quick, cheap, or easy. If you want that, and if you have electricity already run to the shed, it's hard to beat an oil-filled, radiator style electric heater, which will give you quick and easy, but will cost you in terms of the energy used. If electricity is not available, you might try a small propane heater. But do be very, very careful about fire safety and carbon monoxide, whatever heat source you choose!

Generating heat is, and will continue to be, one of the most expensive uses of energy. Solar can be a big help in that effort, but it's almost never without a fair amount of upfront time and money.

First, what @sunshine_eggo said. On sunny days, it's hard to beat the effects of sun beating down on a big, preferably dark-colored, slab of stone, concrete, or even large containers of water, for several hours of the day. They absorb that heat and then release it somewhat slowly as the building cools. The problems are: 1) You need a decent amount of that "thermal mass" to absorb that energy (say, a big tile floor over a concrete bed, with lots of insulation under the concrete), and 2) the sun has this nasty tendency to get covered by clouds during winter days, which means much less (sometimes none) of that heating occurs during those days, so there's no stored heat to be released overnight. But those plants are still gonna need to stay warm, even when there's almost no sun for several days, so now what?

Also, most sheds aren't built with walls of glass u less originally designed and built that way, so that makes the whole "absorb thermal mass" idea a bit impractical without major renovations to the shed itself. It takes a lot of energy to generate heat, and that heat is needed at the very times the sun is least available (winter, and night). So, where does that leave you? We can't know for certain without a lot more information, but understand that heating is just about the toughest thing one can ask a solar electricity system to do. Having tried a number of things, here's what I'd suggest:

Before you do anything, in any situation that requires heat in a building, think about air sealing and insulating. A typical shed has no insulation and leaks air like a sieve, so you're going to be losing much of whatever precious heat you generate, from a y source. Much less expensive to hold onto that heat once it's generated or moved into the space, but air sealing and insulating do cost money upfront. In the long run (years and years) you save money, but is it worth it for a few plants? Not our call to make.

Next, as a general rule, try to capture and move heat to where you need it, rather than attempt to generate it. This basically means using a heat pump in most situations, but again, we're talking a few plants in a shed. Worth it? Not our call.

Bottom line: Unless you want to jump into this with a fair amount of money and time, basically as a hobby, forget doing it with solar for a few plants in a shed. You're not going to find some gadget that will do this, and it's not going to be quick, cheap, or easy. If you want that, and if you have electricity already run to the shed, it's hard to beat an oil-filled, radiator style electric heater, which will give you quick and easy, but will cost you in terms of the energy used. If electricity is not available, you might try a small propane heater. But do be very, very careful about fire safety and carbon monoxide, whatever heat source you choose!

Generating heat is, and will continue to be, one of the most expensive uses of energy. Solar can be a big help in that effort, but it's almost never without a fair amount of upfront time and money.

The primary reason for using solar is because there is no electricity currently installed in the shed. That is a project for next spring. I was trying to come up with a temporary solution to get through the winter.

I thought about covering the plants in a tent and then use a 12volt heater off of a deep cycle marine battery. But that still would require me to connect a charger to the battery. I might as well use a space heater and an extension chord.

I like the DIY solar heating plans I've found on line. While effective during the day, they don't produce heat at night, which is when I need it.

Using solar heated water is an interesting idea. But as previously stated, some work to the shed to seal seams and insulate is needed.

I thought about covering the plants in a tent and then use a 12volt heater off of a deep cycle marine battery.

You would be shocked at how completely ineffective that is. It wouldn't provide enough heat to have any benefit at all.

But that still would require me to connect a charger to the battery. I might as well use a space heater and an extension chord.

That is an infinitely better idea, and it's actually a good method of gathering the data needed to design a system. I think you will again be shocked at how much power/energy is required to make a meaningful difference, and you will discover that you need to spend THOUSANDS of $ to generate that much energy via PV.

I like the DIY solar heating plans I've found on line. While effective during the day, they don't produce heat at night, which is when I need it.

That's why you store the heat in a large mass that can radiate it back out at night.

Using solar heated water is an interesting idea. But as previously stated, some work to the shed to seal seams and insulate is needed.

Without this, there is NOTHING that will be effective.

You would be shocked at how completely ineffective that is. It wouldn't provide enough heat to have any benefit at all.

That is an infinitely better idea, and it's actually a good method of gathering the data needed to design a system. I think you will again be shocked at how much power/energy is required to make a meaningful difference, and you will discover that you need to spend THOUSANDS of $ to generate that much energy via PV.

That's why you store the heat in a large mass that can radiate it back out at night.

Without this, there is NOTHING that will be effective.
I have been pondering this heating of a mass stuff using my system . My shed 8x 12 x10 sits right next to the solar trailer and has a 300 gallon water tank inside potable reserve water…if I used the excess solar to power a submersible heating electrode during the peak hours to about 100 degrees or somthing,….then let that stor Ed heat flow out at night,is that practical…
I only need it to keep the shed from freezing ..
I am increasing my array this spring by 4x.. I do not have the batts capacity to store what they will produce.
I heat the shed now with a oil filled radiator heater plugged into the grid…cost about 45 dollars per month all winter( 6-7 months)
As the system is fully operational and built it wouldn’t cost me any extra money…would changing to solar and water make sence or is this more work for no real progress..
thx, J.

I thought about covering the plants in a tent ...
Yep. Much easier than insulating and sealing the shed (unless you want the shed insulated for other reasons.)
Maybe one of those insulated pop-up ice fishing tents.
and then use a 12volt heater off of a deep cycle marine battery.
100 Ah battery holds 1.2 kWh, so 600 Wh at recommended 50% discharge. A couple gallons of water heated to near boiling gives off 900 Wh of heat as it cools to freezing and another 700 as it freezes. You'd need to put the hot water in a cooler or something so it releases heat gradually.

I might as well use a space heater and an extension chord.
Easiest approach by far. Wouldn't take much electricity to keep an insulated tent warm.

The primary reason for using solar is because there is no electricity currently installed in the shed. That is a project for next spring. I was trying to come up with a temporary solution to get through the winter.

Almost nothing solar is worth doing for a single year's use.

You can make an extension cord out of UF cable and unroll it across the ground. Plugged into GFCI would be a good idea. Use an oil-filled electric radiator, as suggested. Be prepared for utility-bill shock. Thermostat should kick on at low temperature that protects plants.

Insulation & sealing should help a lot. Fiberglass or foam and a tarp over the top, with boards holding edges to the ground? With whatever transparent area needed for enough light to keep them happy.

For the PV approach, consider panels putting DC into a tank-type water heater, plumbed to baseboard radiator configured for convection. Battery powered fan turned on by thermostat. Ensure safe pressure relief.
Considering what some PV panels can be had for, payback may be relatively short (as few as a couple years, depending on your electric rates.)

I have been pondering this heating of a mass stuff using my system . My shed 8x 12 x10 sits right next to the solar trailer and has a 300 gallon water tank inside potable reserve water…if I used the excess solar to power a submersible heating electrode during the peak hours to about 100 degrees or somthing,….then let that stor Ed heat flow out at night,is that practical…
I only need it to keep the shed from freezing ..
I am increasing my array this spring by 4x.. I do not have the batts capacity to store what they will produce.
I heat the shed now with a oil filled radiator heater plugged into the grid…cost about 45 dollars per month all winter( 6-7 months)
As the system is fully operational and built it wouldn’t cost me any extra money…would changing to solar and water make sence or is this more work for no real progress..
thx, J.

To heat 300 gallons of water from 50°F to 100°F @ 100% efficiency will take...

36.7kWh

Solar trailer would need to be about 10kW.

Let's try this... assuming $.12/kWh (YMMV)

$45/.12/kWh = 375kWh

That's about 12.5kWh. SO, if you could "charge" the tank with about 12.5kWh of energy (about 17°F increase) during the day, you would offset the heater's power use.

The more insulation, the better it works.

To heat 300 gallons of water from 50°F to 100°F @ 100% efficiency will take...

36.7kWh

Solar trailer would need to be about 10kW.

Let's try this... assuming $.12/kWh (YMMV)

$45/.12/kWh = 375kWh

That's about 12.5kWh. SO, if you could "charge" the tank with about 12.5kWh of energy (about 17°F increase) during the day, you would offset the heater's power use.

The more insulation, the better it works.
Well that seems like taking the long way home…so to speak…I can find better things to run using that much power…
those numbers are what I was lacking…thank you ….well I’m still Gona increase the array to where I can run a lot during the day with good sun and trim back at nite….
there seems to be no way to not end up chasing your tail in this solar endeavor unless you just build a gi-nor-mos system that has more than you will ever use…
again thx…,J

https://www.builditsolar.com/SiteMap.htm
Old thermal solar site. The sun still works the same.
Not necessarily for heating a greenhouse, but for heating air, fiberglass bug/window screens seem to work the best. Must insulate the greenhouse. Fiberglass batts held in place with house wrap and chicken wire? Could use water for thermal mass.
Water thermal mass on south side of shed. At night, insulate with movable polyiso 4x8 sheet walls and fixed insulated roof, so water thermal storage becomes part of the shed, without having to pump the water. Doesn't take up shed room like moving thermal mass would.

Back