diy solar

diy solar

Accompany proposed to do a solar system on my home but still I need an inverter on every single solar panel. Does this seem excessive?

Ron516516

Solar company propose the system from my home, but they said I need an inverter for every single solar panel. This seems excessive. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Microinverters, 1 per panel or one per couple of panels, is popular. Especially with installers, because any arrangement of multiple panel orientations on several roof surfaces is fine.

They work well for grid-tied PV. (Enphase at least is well regarded.)

How many dollars, for how many watts of inverter? Watts of PV panel?

Do you want battery backup? Enphase has options, and other brands may also work. Costs vary.
If you will want battery backup in the future, design and price it out before buying anything, so you aren't boxed into a system that doesn't meet performance needs or costs too much.

I started with SMA Sunny Boy string inverters 20 years ago, added Sunny Island battery later. But had to upgrade to new Sunny Boy model for compatibility. PV array remained unchanged.

One of the hybrid/AIO systems may give better or more cost effective package than adding battery backup later.

There are some microinverters that can handle multiple panels. If I recall correctly, 4 panels per inverter is the most I have seen.

I have micros on my panels (Chilicon CP720, each with a pair of REC 400W panels connected). Been about a year now, they have been working great. I can't complain, aside from the fact I have no power if grid goes down but that's the nature of grid-tie micros.

I also chose to install micos. One of the cost benefits is that they natively give you compliance with Rapid Shut Down requirements in many jurisdictions. With a single string inverter, there often needs to be additional equipment on the roof to comply with RSD requirements.

The downside of this approach is that your panels are already DC so if you are buying a system to have power back up (also DC ) then there is more AC / DC switching going on. It can still be done of course.

For me personally, I would not install a home solar power system that didn't have at least some amount of battery / storage because without it - when the grid goes down - so does your home power. Even if everything in your home / solar is fine - you won't have any power - and that is the primary motivation for me to have home solar.

I don't need the battery pack to be able to run everything, but it has to run the key essentials.

For me personally, I would not install a home solar power system that didn't have at least some amount of battery / storage
I agree and particularly, in California, with the erosion of NEM benefits the payback of some battery / storage will increasingly be a hedge against increasing energy costs.

For me personally, I would not install a home solar power system that didn't have at least some amount of battery / storage because without it - when the grid goes down - so does your home power.

I don't need the battery pack to be able to run everything, but it has to run the key essentials.

Not entirely true. Some Hybrid/AIO including SolArk can provide batteryless backup direct from PV.

Some GT PV inverters like Sunny Boy have "Secure Power", 120V 2000W available if enough PV.

Battery backup inverters (and their batteries) cost many times what GT PV inverters do, so powering critical loads like refrigerators PV direct during the day, or recharging a low cost UPS, might be attractive for some users. Enough battery to power communications 24/7 might be desired. I plan to eventually have 12V AGM battery supplying those, with AC and PV chargers.

I have micros on my panels (Chilicon CP720, each with a pair of REC 400W panels connected). Been about a year now, they have been working great. I can't complain, aside from the fact I have no power if grid goes down but that's the nature of grid-tie micros.
I should have mentioned here that I am (slowly, eventually) doing an AC-coupled Radian to provide a local "mini grid" for the micros to sync to, so in event of grid down my micros will not remain shut down and my panels will still provide power.

Not entirely true. Some Hybrid/AIO including SolArk can provide batteryless backup direct from PV.

Some GT PV inverters like Sunny Boy have "Secure Power", 120V 2000W available if enough PV.

Battery backup inverters (and their batteries) cost many times what GT PV inverters do, so powering critical loads like refrigerators PV direct during the day, or recharging a low cost UPS, might be attractive for some users. Enough battery to power communications 24/7 might be desired. I plan to eventually have 12V AGM battery supplying those, with AC and PV chargers.

Yes, but the night is still long.

I think it was about people who would let your significant other know what you had been doing ...

OIP.nJpCaYPxUe2QajmpoVD2vQHaHg

I'm anti-battery reasons :
Adds to much cost to a system you'll perhaps use once, twice.
I have had 1 power outage in 20 years I'll take my chances.
How long will they carry the load you bought them for? Power outages seldom happen on bright sunny days to recharge the batteries.
Many on here are doomsday worriers I'll take my chances on mankind.
My 2 cents for what it's worth

I'm anti-battery reasons :
Adds to much cost to a system you'll perhaps use once, twice.
I have had 1 power outage in 20 years I'll take my chances.
How long will they carry the load you bought them for? Power outages seldom happen on bright sunny days to recharge the batteries.
Many on here are doomsday worriers I'll take my chances on mankind.
My 2 cents for what it's worth
Micros are absolutely perfect for that type of thing.

Back