diy solar

diy solar

Adding a charge controller

Packen

I’m still learning so don’t be too hard on me if this is a stupid question.
First off this it what I have,
Eg4 6500ex48 and 3 Eg4 lifepower batteries. 24-245watt panels set up as 6S2P to each mppt.
So I have 4 extra panels and want to add them to my system.
Here’s my question(s).
Can I just buy a mppt solar charge controller and add it to my system by just adding it to the bus bars on my batteries?
If yes any suggestions on what to get? I’d like to spend between 100 and 150 on it if possible. I was looking at one by Powmr but read a lot of bad reviews about it.
So, any suggestions?
Thanks

Eg4 6500ex48 and 3 Eg4 lifepower batteries. 24-245watt panels set up as 6S2P to each mppt.
That is a big system!
Can I just buy a mppt solar charge controller and add it to my system by just adding it to the bus bars on my batteries?
Yes, if you can match the SCC settings as much as possible you will get better results.
If yes any suggestions on what to get? I’d like to spend between 100 and 150 on it if possible. I was looking at one by Powmr but read a lot of bad reviews about it.
What is the Voc of your panels? Do you plan to run all 4 panels in series or more likely 2S2P? Assuming your extra panels are also 245W?
I’d like to spend between 100 and 150 on it if possible.
980W / 52V charging = 18A charger

If your Voc is around 40V, you could arrange array 2S2P and use this top tier SCC ($157)
(you will love the bluetooth)

Yes they are also 245w. The VOC is 37.7 and the Amps are 8.12(imp)
I figured they would probably set up as 2s2p. I plan to add 3 more batteries after the first of the year.

So I do like the one you linked to. If I use that I just need to add it to my busbars going to my batteries correct? I will also use a pv disconnect. Do I need anything else?

Yes they are also 245w. The VOC is 37.7 and the Amps are 8.12(imp)
I figured they would probably set up as 2s2p. I plan to add 3 more batteries after the first of the year.
If you have $157 to invest in a great SCC, I highly recommend the Victron linked above. They make a 30A for a bit more (i have had one of those in my RV for nearly 3 years and flawless). Make sure you get the one with bluetooth.

There are other charge controllers out there too. It sounds like you're in this for the long haul so i recommend investing is an easy to use, quality SCC. 5 yr warrant is nice too.

I will probably go with the one you linked to.
I plan to add another 6500 ex and more panels in the future, waiting for the money. I just wanted to put those extra 4 I had to use till then. I haven’t had much sun for the last 2 weeks so I need all the solar I can get.

Back