diy solar

diy solar

Adding EG4 battery to my system doesn't work

Oranges

Hello
I have 5 EG4 basic lifepower4 batteries with no screen and I went to add a sixth and it doesn't charge or discharge. Hooked up independent to a 48 volt inverter it worked fine. I discharged it and charged it to 100% with signature solars EG4 charger before adding it to the server rack and setup the pins as per the instructions and added communication cables. Updated the firmware so they all match. Once hooked up in the server rack with the other 5 the new battery doesn't discharge or charge.

Does anyone have a fix?
Thanks

Just using signature solar server rack with 1 EG4 6500 ex-48 for charging and communication and a small Victron 1200va inverter.
Should I discharge the new battery 50-100% would to anything?
Thought it would be plug and play but the new battery just stays on and won't discharge.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2724.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2724.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
You probably didn't wait and match voltage between the new battery and old bank when you connected the new one.
If you just threw in the new one at 100% and the others at say 42%, there's a huge voltage delta that is going to cause the new battery to try and dump tons of energy (current) into the less charged batteries. This causes an over current alarm for the new battery and it's stuck in this situation.

Disconnect this new battery, measure the voltage. Then when the voltage for the rest of the pack matches, connect the new battery.

Alternatively, you could connect to the battery and get the alarm. There could be some configuration error with the dip switches or some compatibility thing with the comm cable connected.

Just using signature solar server rack with 1 EG4 6500 ex-48 for charging and communication and a small Victron 1200va inverter.
Thought it would be plug and play but the new battery just stays on and won't discharge.
You might want to flip one of the bus bars so you have positive and negative at different ends. Having both at the top or bottom can cause charging issues for the batteries. @Will Prowse has mentioned this numerous times.

Your communication cables are not plugged in correctly on the bottom batteries. You have the output of the 4th battery plugged into the output of the 5th battery. Correct the wiring and see if the new battery starts communicating correctly.

Shut the battery down and then take a voltage reading with a voltmeter. If it reads zero then you have a bad cable, or connection. Make sure that you didn't mount the batt ray to the buss bar mounting stud.

Your communication cables are not plugged in correctly on the bottom batteries. You have the output of the 4th battery plugged into the output of the 5th battery. Correct the wiring and see if the new battery starts communicating correctly.
Good eye. That can't be it as the fifth battery has always worked so I don't think either side communication port matters. Swap it and no difference. Thanks

You probably didn't wait and match voltage between the new battery and old bank when you connected the new one.
If you just threw in the new one at 100% and the others at say 42%, there's a huge voltage delta that is going to cause the new battery to try and dump tons of energy (current) into the less charged batteries. This causes an over current alarm for the new battery and it's stuck in this situation.

Disconnect this new battery, measure the voltage. Then when the voltage for the rest of the pack matches, connect the new battery.

Alternatively, you could connect to the battery and get the alarm. There could be some configuration error with the dip switches or some compatibility thing with the comm cable connected.
Everything was fully charged via solar thru the EG4 6500 EX when I added the sixth battery so everything should have been pretty close. I take it the new battery would be a bit higher voltage but it doesn't seem to be discharging any power on the bus bar and it's not hooked to one of the rail mount spots. I can shut off all 5 other batteries and the new one doesn't even run the small Victron inverter but it worked fine directly hooked to the Victron inverter and new EG4 battery. Think I'll hook it up again and discharge the new battery a few times. Fingers crossed

Everything was fully charged via solar thru the EG4 6500 EX when I added the sixth battery so everything should have been pretty close. I take it the new battery would be a bit higher voltage but it doesn't seem to be discharging any power on the bus bar and it's not hooked to one of the rail mount spots. I can shut off all 5 other batteries and the new one doesn't even run the small Victron inverter but it worked fine directly hooked to the Victron inverter and new EG4 battery. Think I'll hook it up again and discharge the new battery a few times. Fingers crossed
Might of blew a fett on the bms

Wondering if you ever got this working? I'm about to add a fourth LIfePower4 battery to my rack and am trying to figure out how to get the voltages right before adding the new one.

Back