diy solar

diy solar

Adding solar array/system to outbuilding with (subpanel)400 ft from main panel/and array/system

Thanks again for all of this very valuable advice and education. I hope that I can contribute back to this community going forward in as generous and meaningful way.

My next issue is troubleshooting my current array which has unexpectedly collapsed in output for the last 2 months.

4.2 kw 20 sun power 210 panels.
Total output for last 30 days (December)
15kw.

Something seriously wrong. Up on the roof tomorrow

December is the worst production month.
Are you comparing to last December, or a better productive season?

The QO panel appears to be 24 slot, 125A.

One roof facing South, so other North. Not very beneficial to add panels on other face like I was thinking. Unless you want more power in the summer. Both barn and house oriented that way?

Somewhat older Sunny Boy, multiple fused inputs, single MPPT.
Check voltages to ensure all fuses good.
Check if Voc and Vmp are as expected for array.
Use clamp ammeter to compare current of all strings.

I've had an open circuit connection, and I've had panels go bad (different brand.)

Is the inverter configured for positive ground, PV+ is at ground potential and PV- at -Voc or -Vmp?
Earlier SunPower panels were degrading in negative ground configuration.

The magnetic-hydraulic breakers from CBI-Midnight can be operated at 100% (guaranteed not to trip below 105%) and from Carling-Midnight at 95% (guaranteed not to trip below 100%.) NEC might not have exceptions or that.

House Roof faces southeast, has some tree shading issues which I dealt with with a cherry picker and a chainsaw last month (three 80ft birches now 40 ft)

output ( from utility bills )

Dec 22 was 101kw
Jan 23 was 70
Feb 23 was 39
March 23 - 126
April 23 - 106
May 23 - 198
June 23 - 212
July 23 -160
Aug 23 -103
Sept 23 - 93
October 23 - 45
Nov 23 - 40
Dec 23 - 25
Jan 24 -14

don't know what to deduce from that history, other than output of system is never spectacular and often poor.

Could also be weather. Your eyes adjust to low sun conditions quite incredibly. Especially if there is no contrast.

There’s no lying to your solar panel

Checking the DC voltage graphs is a low hanging thing. Not sure what else can be done without climbing. Should do it before climbing too so there are some theories.

Quite variable.

And that is inverter output, from some logger? NOT net utility bill?

Trees could have been a big factor, don't know if they could explain variability (unless shadow of branches shifted on and off array.)

Is the PV array 10s2p?

Compare string currents.

Shut off inverter, open fuses in disconnect, compare Voc of strings.
Connect one string's fuse at a time, compare Vmp and Imp (or watts)

If major differences, then you can use some techniques to track down individual bad panels.

My 12V panels were 24s. When I rearranged 16s2p, it didn't take much shade to drop below minimum MPPT voltage causing significant drop in output. You can look up MPPT range of your inverter.

Hello (again)
revisiting the addition of a solar array to my barn/outbuiding.
My current system is an older and undersized ( inadequate ) grid tied 4.2kw roof mounted system. 20 210 watt Sunpower panels and 4000 watt Sunpower inverter. System feeds main pane with a side tap.

Barn outbuilding has a 100 amp subpanel, fed off 60 amp breaker at main panel at house, connected to buried 1-1-1-2 Notre Dame AL feeder cable.

Would like to install this system
SolArk 8k hybrid inverter
6 400 watt panels
Eg4 14.3 kwh wallmount battery

(this is the Shopsolarkits,com BPK-plus)

I would need a rapid disconnect for current code. ($40)
I think i also need a

Questions become:
1) is this doable? (duh)
Grid AC input to SolArk... from side tap(?) at subpanel? (to "Grid" breaker on SolArk)
AC output from Sol Ark ("Load" breaker) to 60 amp PV breaker mounted on opposite load side of subpanel?

2) If I am charging an EV 10-20 amps a night (up to 60 if battery is emptied out) should I get more storage?
14.3 kwh battery would likely be depleted many evenings from usage.
3) Is the Sol Ark 8K adequate for more than the spec'd 6 400 watt panels (2.4kw)

I do not "have" to use this as an every(night) solution, I would be ok with battery use only for outage/backup
Remember I still have the 4.2 old system/ array producing but not directly charging the storage battery(s)

And onel extra wrinkle --the barn is unheated. NYS winters and sub freezing temps. Battery diminished performance, or damage if cold like that

Thanks Greg

Last edited:
The QO panel appears to be 24 slot, 125A.

One roof facing South, so other North. Not very beneficial to add panels on other face like I was thinking. Unless you want more power in the summer. Both barn and house oriented that way?

Somewhat older Sunny Boy, multiple fused inputs, single MPPT.
Check voltages to ensure all fuses good.
Check if Voc and Vmp are as expected for array.
Use clamp ammeter to compare current of all strings.

I've had an open circuit connection, and I've had panels go bad (different brand.)

Is the inverter configured for positive ground, PV+ is at ground potential and PV- at -Voc or -Vmp?
Earlier SunPower panels were degrading in negative ground configuration.

The magnetic-hydraulic breakers from CBI-Midnight can be operated at 100% (guaranteed not to trip below 105%) and from Carling-Midnight at 95% (guaranteed not to trip below 100%.) NEC might not have exceptions or that.
I did a full inspection and found that I had a bad panel- the back of panel junction box on one panel had shorted and melted at the inside connection. With dead string and no microinverters and with depth of winter and tree shading affecting insolation I was getting barely enough to meet min on inverter. Have a call into Sunpower for warranty and we reduced the array to two strings of 9 panels, taking out one good panel to balance the strings.

Yes thats the panel I have the "Black" ones SPR 210 BLK

They're discontinued curious as to how Sunpower resolves this warranty wise

Theres no hard shadow situation it was panel 8 in a 2 rows of ten array (left to right, top then bottom row)

System feeds main pane with a side tap.
Share a photo of the backfeed. Side tap isn't a common term.

2) If I am charging an EV 10-20 amps a night (up to 60 if battery is emptied out) should I get more storage?
14.3 kwh battery would likely be depleted many evenings from usage.
Your units are wrong here. I assume you mean 10-20kWh, 60kWh if depleted.

Amount of storage depends on goals. What are the goals? And goals depend on what the net metering terms are in your location. If you have generous terms (1:1 credit over 12 months) then there are much fewer reasons to go above 14.3 kWh.

If you have no net metering then it makes sense to go to 2 or 3x 14.3kWh, however note there are 40kWh and 80kWh, among other, max size and location restrictions on anything inspected.

If inspection is needed for ESS I would highly recommend getting the plans drafted by someone that will apply relevant residential code when drafting.

3) Is the Sol Ark 8K adequate for more than the spec'd 6 400 watt panels (2.4kw)
That's a pretty small number of panels. What does PVwatts say you will produce, in the times of year that you care about?

SolArk is 11kW across 2 MPPTs

SolArk I don't believe is UL9540 with EG4 PowerPro. What guarantees is the kit company giving you that you will pass inspection if you buy from them? Because non-UL9540 combo won't pass inspection in California.

What's the reason for the SolArk? Usually people want it for better support or grid-tie.

Share a photo of the backfeed. Side tap isn't a common term.image1.jpeg
This is the main panel at house where current grid tied solar array is . The side tap i refer to is that the solar AC feed enters the panel at the top with those polaris splice things.

The subpanel at barn is fed off a 60 amp breaker located at the very lower left of this panel. after the run of buried cable there is a square d 100 amp service panel that is the subpanel for building. it currently has 2 15 amp breakers in it for lights/outlets. (mostly empty)
Your units are wrong here. I assume you mean 10-20kWh, 60kWh if depleted.
Sorry I meant nightly charging draw of 10-20 KW, and the car battery is 60 KWH so yeah 60 if it were drained. This would be in addition to powering the rest of house per evening - at absolute worst 10kwh total draw (guesstimate)
Amount of storage depends on goals. What are the goals? And goals depend on what the net metering terms are in your location. If you have generous terms (1:1 credit over 12 months) then there are much fewer reasons to go above 14.3 kWh.
I get net 1:1 net metering, grandfathered in on that from way back in 2010. So yeah I was thinking the 14.3 battery would be ok/adequate.
not looking to sell back per se, looking to net zero on monthly bills now that we are full time and have an EV (this was a second home in 2010 and system size/output was limited by usage as demonstrated by metering/bills at that time)
If you have no net metering then it makes sense to go to 2 or 3x 14.3kWh, however note there are 40kWh and 80kWh, among other, max size and location restrictions on anything inspected.

If inspection is needed for ESS I would highly recommend getting the plans drafted by someone that will apply relevant residential code when drafting.

That's a pretty small number of panels. What does PVwatts say you will produce, in the times of year that you care about?
Shop Solar just spec'd the 2.4 kw of panels with this kit. As I already have the 4.2 array I wasn't directly questioning their choice. I have almost ideal roof positioning available so yeah id still need what 7 hours to charge a completely depleted eg4 wall battery?
SolArk is 11kW across 2 MPPTs

SolArk I don't believe is UL9540 with EG4 PowerPro. What guarantees is the kit company giving you that you will pass inspection if you buy from them? Because non-UL9540 combo won't pass inspection in California.

What's the reason for the SolArk? Usually people want it for better support or grid-tie.
I am admittedly a noob here learning as fast as possible, I can ask about UL9540. SolArk just seems to be a very well regarded hybrid inverter, though im open to any and all suggestions. I'd like to undersstand this well enough to draw up some plans, get an electrician to review, submit for permit in town and then do most of work myself, with electrician signing off/inspecting along with town inspector.

Thx again - Greg

This is the main panel at house where current grid tied solar array is . The side tap i refer to is that the solar AC feed enters the panel at the top with those polaris splice things.
OK cool, this is a "line side tap". There are many ways to get the barn tied in, with different tradeoffs.

Do you want battery backup power at your house? If so then the ideal place to put an inverter/battery combo is at the house, and this is probably the best way to maximize the value from an expensive stack of batteries. It's kind of silly to have backup power in the barn alone, unless you plan to rough it in the barn during an extended power outage.

With this approach, you would either trench new DC wire to the barn to attach to the solar panels (probably want 2-4 strings in the ground to make it easier to expand in the future, rather than just 1). Or add a grid tie inverter at the barn, and AC couple it to the house via the SolArk generator port.

Form the manual [the reason to put it on the generator port is that there is a relay on that port, which will pull the plug if the AC source misbehaves]. 19.2kW-AC is massive.
1707383660651.png
For reference a 11kW Growatt inverter is $1500 and you can probably buy used ones even cheaper. Not sure how the cost will compare for you, but I feel that having backup power at the house (and able to use the 14kWh battery for things other than the EV, like maybe if you add electric heat in the house), + saving having to re-trench 200ft for a DC run, is well worth $1500. Sure AC coupling is a little less precise than DC when it comes to edge cases like when your battery is full but it seems to save trouble. You would want to do some due diligence on the forum (ask questions/search for threads) to verify that the battery inverter at the house and the grid tie inverter at the barn are compatible in AC coupling.

(It probably is possible to have inverter and battery at barn and add something to disconnect grid at the house, but that is probably a pretty expensive piece of equipment, that is included in the inverter already. And you probably still have to trench a line for a control wire, and 200 ft might even be too long for the control wire to run).

Sorry I meant nightly charging draw of 10-20 KW, and the car battery is 60 KWH so yeah 60 if it were drained. This would be in addition to powering the rest of house per evening - at absolute worst 10kwh total draw (guesstimate)
I would recommend installing an Emporia Vue as an early step in research, that would get rid of the need to guess both the whole house consumption and individual consumption.

I get net 1:1 net metering, grandfathered in on that from way back in 2010. So yeah I was thinking the 14.3 battery would be ok/adequate.
not looking to sell back per se, looking to net zero on monthly bills now that we are full time and have an EV (this was a second home in 2010 and system size/output was limited by usage as demonstrated by metering/bills at that time)
Still not sure what the goals are. Do you mean that you cannot add more solar panels onto net metering? Because if you can, it is obviously going to be a higher ROI to do grid-tie only. If you are not allowed to add more solar panels and want the emergency power, then certainly batteries can make sense.

I assume that 14.3kWh is OK because your 10kWh overnight consumption other than EV is handled by your current net metering bank. So the full 14.3 kWh (actually probably more like 80-90% of this after efficiency and not being able to charge to 100% are factored together) is available to EV charging.

Shop Solar just spec'd the 2.4 kw of panels with this kit. As I already have the 4.2 array I wasn't directly questioning their choice. I have almost ideal roof positioning available so yeah id still need what 7 hours to charge a completely depleted eg4 wall battery?
I'm suspicious of how carefully they did your pre-sales design, unless they have extremely good IT and software (hahahahahaha). That sounds really undersized to consistently generate 14kWh year round. Solar panels are cheap, just fill all the rails that fit on the roof planes of interest.

Run your own PVwatts simulation (free online tool from NREL, very easy to use), you can control how much time you invest and how careful you are. I got screwed by solar salespeople not using tool correctly, yet handing money over to them.

SolArk just seems to be a very well regarded hybrid inverter, though im open to any and all suggestions. I'd like to undersstand this well enough to draw up some plans, get an electrician to review, submit for permit in town and then do most of work myself, with electrician signing off/inspecting along with town inspector.

SolArk is fine, I mostly raised it b/c that battery is not allowed in my state with PowerPro since the inverter/battery combo has to be UL listed as a unit. I don't know if SolArk has a similarly-priced outdoor battery.

It is well-worth understanding things enough to check the quality of plans, but note that plans services are a dime a dozen and they will draft structural, solar electrical, ESS electrical + structural + floorplan, spamming all the boilerplate text required by state code on plansets, everything... $300 is easy to hit for a planset without engineer stamps. I thought my plans were a bargain just factoring in the CAD that went into making clear to AHJ what rails/panels would look like, as well as having someone else translate the mounting hardware tables to a design, for my location. Some people here have had success using the web tools for IronRidge themselves.

I would say the highest ROI for your design time is making sure the system size specifications and requirements are correct. Then you can hand over your $300 for the details beyond that and drawings.

"Line side tap"
The Polaris breakers are on the utility line side of the service disconnect.

Utility may have some limit on how much current can be backfed that way, or drawn if a hybrid. NEC/inspector, too. You might have 100A drawn through main breaker and 60A through a hybrid, for 160A draw with 100A meter.

1707324127358.png

Inspector called mine "load side tap".
I have a main breaker only, and Polaris on customer side of that service disconnect fans out to multiple breaker panels and disconnect switch for PV system.

OK cool, this is a "line side tap". There are many ways to get the barn tied in, with different tradeoffs.

Or add a grid tie inverter at the barn, and AC couple it to the house via the SolArk generator port.

Would this be with no DC coupled PV at house, all PV at barn and AC coupled to SolArk?
Last I heard, SolArk recommended having DC coupled PV greater than AC coupled.

Alternatives would be a battery inverter at the house which fully supports AC coupling (e.g. Sunny Island)

Or, having an inverter at the barn which works with a disconnect switch at the house.
When I look at the schematic for SMA ABU (works with Sunny Boy Storage, think similar will be used for Sunny Boy Smart Energy), the battery inverter connects directly to ABU with separate wires, but appears to just have a breaker. I think battery inverter and GT PV inverter could connect to house panel, just need control wire back to ABU. (schematic on page 12)

files.sma.de/downloads/SBS-ABU-xx-US-IA-en-13.pdf

1707403560215.png

But the SMA battery inverters have wimpy surge. Any other brands support remote transfer (disconnect) switch that could be located at grid connection?

All of these AC coupled schemes (including SolArk if no DC) have the problem that if loads drain battery, system shuts off and PV can't recharge it. Also if load exceeds PV during the day, battery drains.

With only AC coupling, you need a way to shed loads if battery SoC gets low.

OP's "inadequate roof mounted grid tied 4.2 kw system" could recharge the system if everything else is shed. Although, would like to have the larger array at barn able to also operate, with loads disconnected but GT PV remaining connected.

There should be an SoC monitor turning off loads. And of course, big house loads can exceed inverter capacity. For OP's case, barn and select important loads at the house could be on the inverter, while excessive loads at house are strictly on grid.

Hello

some new and further thinking

Looking at the EG4 system with power pro ESS, 18K inverter and powerpro wall 14.3Kwh battery combo
coupled to a 3.2Kw ( 8 400 watt panels) on Barn roof.

I poorly drew this layout which would have no critical loads panel or backup generator but would back feed at the subpanel and thus also to main house.

I understand that this would not be a "backup" situation as with the grid tie only a power failure would cause a system shutdown

if this system provides some balancing (i.e. battery draw to ease utility usage during night for example) it might worth value

i do not really have space at house (feeding main service panel) for this so am exploring the barn

comments please!IMG_4698.jpeg

Why not put 18kpv before the barn panel, or next to it with a backed up loads panel you can transfer some circuits to?

As drawn, "battery draw to ease utility usage during night" would look like backfeeding utility from 18kpv's point of view. Would you do that based on time of day?

Don't know how far away CT are allowed, but CT before barn panel could seek to supply barn loads. CT before house panel could seek to supply all loads.

If the only purpose is to use some PV to reduce power drawn from utility (and no time of use), why not just GT PV? Could be that inverter but with no battery for now, or a cheaper PV only inverter.

Why not put 18kpv before the barn panel, or next to it with a backed up loads panel you can transfer some circuits to?
Realistically all my loads are at the house, 200 ft away the barn panel has (2) 15 amp light and outlet circuits
As drawn, "battery draw to ease utility usage during night" would look like backfeeding utility from 18kpv's point of view. Would you do that based on time of day?
Not sure- at simplest thinking the the 18Kpv prioritizes charging and then at night without solar input would automatically backfeed? (I need to learn more about whether that is auto or just with time of day settings.)
Don't know how far away CT are allowed, but CT before barn panel could seek to supply barn loads. CT before house panel could seek to supply all loads.
Sorry not sure about current transformers (knowledge). As i have 1:1 net metering my only considerations are fill the battery priority and/or safe operation
If the only purpose is to use some PV to reduce power drawn from utility (and no time of use), why not just GT PV? Could be that inverter but with no battery for now, or a cheaper PV only inverter.

Would Absolutely consider going that route I believe you had helped me determine that 3800 watts would be my maximum solar on barn given the 100 amp main panel and 60 amp backfed breaker? Would sincerely appreciate opinions on panels and GT inverter if I were to go that route.
I lean towards all in one solutions like the EG4 because of my lack of experience and knowledge.

CT, Current Transformer, coupled with voltage is used to determine if power flows in or out. Located at input to house, would let inverter backfeed house while not backfeeding grid. With line-side tap, I guess would go before the tap.

3800W is the typical limit under 120% rule when backfeeding through 20A breaker into 100A panel with 100A main breaker.

The same rule may apply to backfeeding through 60A breaker if in another panel with some busbar rating and main breaker. I think you may be backfeeding through line-side tap. Which can also forward feed barn with up to 60A. 60A + 100A = 160A which might be drawn; is that through 100A meter? I'm not sure how utility views that.

I've got 200A meter and 3/0 wire hanging out of weather head, waiting for PG&E to cut skinny (2 awg? 4 awg) wires dropping from power pole to old 100A panel, move over to new 200A panel. They confirmed with me that I'm not adding loads at this time, just putting in 200A panel for (nearly unlimited) PV backfeed, and future heating loads. They told me to inform them before adding big loads.

CT, Current Transformer, coupled with voltage is used to determine if power flows in or out. Located at input to house, would let inverter backfeed house while not backfeeding grid. With line-side tap, I guess would go before the tap.

3800W is the typical limit under 120% rule when backfeeding through 20A breaker into 100A panel with 100A main breaker.

The same rule may apply to backfeeding through 60A breaker if in another panel with some busbar rating and main breaker. I think you may be backfeeding through line-side tap. Which can also forward feed barn with up to 60A. 60A + 100A = 160A which might be drawn; is that through 100A meter? I'm not sure how utility views that.
Ive been told by utility that my service at drop and meter would not need to be changed were I to upgrade to 200 amp main service panel. The meter is bidirectional and records net production from PV system.

The barn is fed from a 60 amp breaker in the main service panel. That panel is a 125 amp bus panel with 100 amp main breaker.
The main service panel at house has PV system 240volts 16.7 amps at line side tap (before 100 amp main breaker)
how do we get 160 amps drawn in that scenario? ( wouldn't 100Amp main service panel breaker trip?)
I've got 200A meter and 3/0 wire hanging out of weather head, waiting for PG&E to cut skinny (2 awg? 4 awg) wires dropping from power pole to old 100A panel, move over to new 200A panel. They confirmed with me that I'm not adding loads at this time, just putting in 200A panel for (nearly unlimited) PV backfeed, and future heating loads. They told me to inform them before adding big loads.
I love the idea of upgrading panel and am smiling at how you are prepped and waiting for PGE. I have NYSEG and they have been testing the limits of contingency budgeting this winter with major windstorms having crews out for weeks at a time.

Back