diy solar

diy solar

Advice on Battery Build

fluxgame

Hoping someone can provide a bit of advice for my situation. A bit of background: I'm planning a camper van build. Based on my original plan, I bought two SOK 12v 100aH batteries. I've changed my plan a a bit though and I'm now going to incorporate a 3 kW inverter rather than the 1 kW I had originally planned. So, I need more capacity to support the larger draw and moving to a 24v system seems like the smart thing to do as well. As I see it, with those givens, I have several options:
  1. Keep it simple and just plunk down for another 2 SOK batteries and wire them with the 2 I already have in a 2p2s configuration.
  2. Buy 8 more cells of the same type as are in the SOK (Ganfeng, according to my reading), along with an 8s 100 amp BMS and wire that in parallel with the SOK batteries wired in series
  3. As above, but buy a second BMS, pull the cells from the SOK batteries and build a 8s2p pack.
  4. Pull the cells from the SOK batteries, buy 8 more cells and a 200amp 8s BMS and build an 2p8s pack.
  5. Sell the SOK batteries, chock the likely loss up to a learning experience, and build a pack with 8 230/280aH EVE cells.
Whew, just writing that all down made my head spin. I've built a few 18650 packs for e-bike builds, but navigating the world of LiFePO4 has proven to be a challenge for me. What would you do in my situation?

I'm sort of leaning towards option 3 or 4, as the 100aH cells are a better form factor for building a pack that I can slide under the driver's seat of the van.

I’d leave the SOKs as a 24v bank and add a 8S 230/280ah bank.

No issues mixing SOK and a DIY build.

Also just because you have a 3k inverter doesn’t mean you have to have more storage, did your usage increase as well?

You can always add more storage after you live with it and see how much SOC you use.

Another option is selling the SOK and just going all DIY. The packaging of the SOK has a fair amount of value for other people.

Also just because you have a 3k inverter doesn’t mean you have to have more storage, did your usage increase as well?
Thanks for the reply! The need for a bigger bank is two-fold:

- the SOK batteries only have a 100amp BMS, so they're undersized for the ~150amp draw they'd see from the 3 kW inverter at full load
- the reason for putting the bigger inverter in is that I'm adding a 1800-watt induction burner, so that'll increase my usage a fair amount

Don't think my usage will increase quite enough to need the SOKs plus a 230/280aH bank though. By my reckoning, 5kWh is about right.

Back