diy solar

diy solar

AIO High Frequency Invertors. Warning They don't Have An Iron Core Copper Wound Output Transformer.

It's the Radian 8048 that has 2 4kW modules inside, but I could have easily misunderstood and they do share a transformer. Or they have two transformers that can balance together.

1716584896860.jpeg

Then why can't it put out full power on one 120V leg of its transformer?
Copper too small a gauge?
I may have started that inaccurate claim here, unless you've also seen it in a datasheet, I may just have been wrong since I saw the 8048 had two modules and assumed.

OK, maybe erroneous understanding.
The data sheet wasn't explicit, could go either way.

Regarding the question and comments from the OP, I have been seeing an abundance of posts stating the same things the OP is asking about regarding these inverters. Enough that i was even considering posting a question as to the legitimacy of these posts popping up all over the place in comments on countless video etc to the point I am even starting to worry about my house burning down of the inverter failing blowing out everything in my house.

I would say that the OP was a serious and legitimate question relating to something that really is blowing up the last few weeks, I am even seeing these statements here in this forum. Essentially that buying inverters without the big iron, copper coils is a no go ticking time bomb.... After reading the comments and responses here I am wondering how soon till my inverter blows and my house burns....

I may have started that inaccurate claim here, unless you've also seen it in a datasheet, I may just have been wrong since I saw the 8048 had two modules and assumed.
Dang it man!
Regarding the question and comments from the OP, I have been seeing an abundance of posts stating the same things the OP is asking about regarding these inverters. Enough that i was even considering posting a question as to the legitimacy of these posts popping up all over the place in comments on countless video etc to the point I am even starting to worry about my house burning down of the inverter failing blowing out everything in my house.

I would say that the OP was a serious and legitimate question relating to something that really is blowing up the last few weeks, I am even seeing these statements here in this forum. Essentially that buying inverters without the big iron, copper coils is a no go ticking time bomb.... After reading the comments and responses here I am wondering how soon till my inverter blows and my house burns....
Boom.

I am even starting to worry about my house burning down of the inverter failing blowing out everything in my house.
I take a risk management approach and first look at what the risk is of the inverter failing and causing a fire. I have had three inverters fail and none of them ever came close to getting warm in the process of failing. They were all UL listedl, were fused appropriately, where installed with building permits and I am sure had internal fail safe mechanisms. I would never consider an inverter which was not UL listed. There was no indication in the recent 50 plus page post about a house burning down that the inverter was involved in causing the fire. We all have different aversions to risk and the above is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think that depends on whether the inverter is pure Chineseum, or was designed by a German/US/etc. tier-1 company.

I take a risk management approach and first look at what the risk is of the inverter failing and causing a fire. I have had three inverters fail and none of them ever came close to getting warm in the process of failing. They were all UL listedl, were fused appropriatly and I am sure had internal fail safe mechanisms. I would never consider an inverter which was not UL listed. There was no indication in the recent 50 plus page post about a house burning down that the inverter was involved in causing the fire.
Running a 6000Xp that is about to be running with a second 6000XP at its side. I didn't like it running 80% to run the house ac and if someone used the microwave it was overload city. :)

I suspect this is a one shot post from a troll stiring up trouble or conversation ... Kinda like someone creating an account and making 1 post about battery compression.
OP didn't even post what he said, he said he copied it from a youtube comment lmao
but yea he may never be back

The title of the tread pretty much sums up the situation. Started in the 80's and now has become a cult following.

IMHO- either HF or LF is acceptable- if you run them within their limits...

I have a 12kw 230v LF (36kw for 20 seconds) which will be running my house and the shed (when the house is finished)- mostly because of large loads that have extended starting times (a mill and lathe being the worst offenders- the lathe in particular can take several seconds to 'get up to speed'...)

In the meantime, I have been using the 12v 8kw (16kw for 500mS) HF one to run the shed and the caravan- and it works just fine on the welder and plasma cutter- its been running 24/7 since 2020, and was originally fitted to my 'work' ute to power tools with (hence the 12v) back in 2014 but as the caravans internal circuits (lights, waterpumps, inbuilt TV etc are all 12v, it made more sense to pull it out of the ute (especially now I am 'almost fully retired) and stick with that during the shed, and now the house's construction- the big Sigineer 48v LF one won't be installed until the house is finished...
Having installed, used and repaired thousands (tens?? hundreds???) of inverters over 40 years plus of doing offgrid, marine and motorhome (RV) installs- I can't think of a single case of one failing with HV DC on the output... and the majority of those by far were HF (LF really only make sense for home based systems- LF is just too big and heavy for mobile applications...)
To compare- my HF 8kw can be picked up in one hand (about 12kg) where the 12kw took three people to lift it int the cab of the tilt-tray, and I unloaded it using the winch and pulleys!!! (72kg)
This
1716600554530.png
versus this...
1716600630879.png
Only 4kw between them- but yeah, one hell of a weight penalty...
(I still have lying around an old 1200w LF inverter from my first offgrid house back in the 1980's- its about the size (and weight) of a besser brick!!! the same HF inverter is smaller than a box of tissues, and not much more than that in weight....)

There are advantages and disadvantages to both- HF is a lot more 'economical' to run in standby mode or when output currents are low (the idle current of LF is even today horrible in comparison)- but LF is definitely superior when it comes to handling 'peak' loads (especially when dealing with larger electric motors starting 'loaded' for example- large A/C, water pumps working against a 'head' and the like)

The nonsense the OP quoted in their original post from utube (and yes, it is spreading fast, unfortunately, I have seen several almost identical posts saying almost the exact same thing) is complete garbage, but unfortunately 'youtube university' is where many get their information from, despite it so often being completely wrong....

Running a 6000Xp that is about to be running with a second 6000XP at its side. I didn't like it running 80% to run the house ac and if someone used the microwave it was overload city. :)
Make sure your batteries scale up as needed. I found the 30KW stack struggled a little under high demand with a pair of 18kpv's I'd want 2 5K batteries for each inverter. YMMV.

I am beginning to suspect that Solar power is too dangerous for anyone to use. Maybe it should be only sold to special licensed people that have explosive ordinance training. It could be used in hard rock mining, road building, and stump blasting. My HF detonators (inverters) need to be kept away from sudden impacts or flame.

Make sure your batteries scale up as needed. I found the 30KW stack struggled a little under high demand with a pair of 18kpv's I'd want 2 5K batteries for each inverter. YMMV.
I have a pair of 280AH, one power pro Outdoor and the indoor model. They didn't have the indoor till a few weeks after I bought the power pro. I may eventually add a third but at 4k each they will never pay for themselves as it is.

I don't see how that's possible. Maybe for one half cycle (8.3mS) but definitely not seconds.
I posted a link to a magical transformer that can ride through several cycles
The nature of the thing resonates.
Until it come out if full saturation it will continue to function fir several cycles depending on load
They are amazing saved a lot of automation from this untimely deaths by lightening strikes brown outs ect…

Back