diy solar

diy solar

All in One Solar System

ApocaOutpost

I am planning to get the
5000w 48vdc 120v/208V/240V Split phase Solar inverter 80A Dual MPPT charger
From this website for a cargo container home and I wish to have 3,000 Watts of solar on this system, but it says on the website that I can only have 1000 watts of solar on a 5,000 watt inverter, can I put more panels on or do I need 3 of the all in one inverters for the 3,000 watt system
Suggestions?

Solar panels do not connect to the invertor. Here's how the connections go:
Solar panels-> Battery charge controller -> Battery -> Invertor -> your devices

So this:
but it says on the website that I can only have 1000 watts of solar on a 5,000 watt inverter,
is meaningless.

ApocaOutpost, according the spec sheet from the manufacture, you can use a maximum of 8000w (4000w per mppt) of pv input

It’s a minimum of 1000 watts. Watts of the total panels divided by the volts is the restriction. So you have one fourth of the maximum amps.

I thought these all in one units that the inverter runs 240 instead of 120? don't mean to hijack your thread but how would I use one of these units and covert it to hook to a regular breaker box?

I thought these all in one units that the inverter runs 240 instead of 120? don't mean to hijack your thread but how would I use one of these units and covert it to hook to a regular breaker box?
that is exactly what i did with mine.
just think of it as the grid.wire it in the same way to your breaker box.this mpp is extremely versatile and very powerfull.
it will run 120 or 240-you have to program it,read the manual,that's what i did.

Did you ever get a answer or figure the best way to connect this to your panel? I am looking at the Mpp system and have the same question.

Currently to power my panel I have to run 2 hots a neutral and a ground so four wires. Or use a jumper wire which isn’t the best idea. I’m new to the Mpp system and have watched a few videos but it didn’t seem like that was an option. Like I said this is all new to me.

Currently to power my panel I have to run 2 hots a neutral and a ground so four wires. Or use a jumper wire which isn’t the best idea. I’m new to the Mpp system and have watched a few videos but it didn’t seem like that was an option. Like I said this is all new to me.
yea,4 wires,2 are 120 hot,1 neutral,one ground,just like a regular house.
wire it in the same way.
you have lv5048 mpp right?
just make sure you program #28 in A/C setting to 2A2.
inverter switch MUST BE OFF when programing.

I also want to jump in here since this is kinda tangental.

I'm also looking at the MPP LV5048, but while shopping around and talking to other suppliers I see other "all-in-one" configured systems that seem similar but much more expensive.

Wholesale Solar has a whole section but Ill link to https://www.wholesalesolar.com/1440...8pae-single-magnum-w-classic-150-power-center

Since I'm in Canada here are a few more, Outback is another one. https://hespv.ca/residential-solar-energy-systems/solar-off-grid-canada/e-panels
Prices range from $2116.68 ~ $5000 USD.

My question is, are these more expensive because they are components wired together and not true all-in-one systems or because they are better in some way or have extra features etc.

Thanks

DavidPoz just came out with a video doing a quick review of the MPP LV5048 here.
I would have liked to have seen a follow up trying to run the miter saw on single phase, and suspect it would have worked.

The main limitation you need to be concerned with hooking your panels to the LV5048 is the VOC of the panels when in a string. You cannot exceed 145v in either PV input.

Yes, that makes sense, is it possible to connect a bigger battery to this inverter, say 8kwh? Or do you need two?

Back