diy solar

diy solar

Aloha from South Texas - Nice Place Ya'll Have Here

crystalworks

Just wanted to introduce and say "Hi, and thank you" to the members here. I have been learning about solar for a couple of years now and this forum has been a valuable resource. Much of the high level stuff is still over my head, but I'm getting there.

Background, so obviously it gets ridiculously hot in S. Texas and our bills were starting to regularly top $500/mo in the summer months. Well, last year I said enough was enough. I had decided to start learning solar a couple of years ago and do a 3 phase learning path. Phase 1 was very simple and done in a few months, phase 2 was just completed 3 months ago, and phase 3 will be expensive so is likely a couple of years out. Will redirect the savings from Phase 2 to that. Anyway, details below.

Phase 1: Simple 12v system powering 2 12v attic fans in gables. Started with x2 Renogy 100w panels (like everyone does, but now use x2 275w Canadian Solar), 12v lead acid car battery I had laying around (now 12v LiFePo4 PowerQueen 100AH), and a cheap 30A MPPT controller. Gets the job done and has been working great in helping to keep our attic from reaching 150f every day.

Phase 2: 1 ton EG4 hybrid mini split on x6 275w Candadian Solar panels & grid wired, 2 ton EG4 hybrid mini split on x8 400w bi-facial Canadian Solar panels & grid tied. Only been completed about 2.5 months but seems to have cut grid usage by ~40%. We don't run the 14 SEER 5ton central during the day anymore. Savings between $200-300 in the summer, don't know exact as only gotten one complete bill so far with system in place. $210 savings on that one.

Phase 3: Haven't picked all the hardware for this yet, as new things are constantly released. But goal will be off-grid inverter(s) with battery backups with manual changeover to grid if need be. Would probably need ~20kW of solar, but unsure now with how usage has dropped from phase 2... so calculations might change that.

Anyway, will post pics if anyone's interested, but again... thank you and aloha.

Welcome! Where in south Texas are yall? Please post pictures otherwise it did not happen.

Ouch on the electric bill. I have a 2000SF house with no solar, and my last bill in this massive heat wave was only $324 (already dreading the next bill). That includes an electric HPWH plus charging a Chevy Bolt. Either your house is really big or really inefficient.

My system is for grid-down backup only.

EDIT: today received my latest bill for $326. Surprised it did not increase more.

Last edited:
Just wanted to introduce and say "Hi, and thank you" to the members here. I have been learning about solar for a couple of years now and this forum has been a valuable resource. Much of the high level stuff is still over my head, but I'm getting there.

Background, so obviously it gets ridiculously hot in S. Texas and our bills were starting to regularly top $500/mo in the summer months. Well, last year I said enough was enough. I had decided to start learning solar a couple of years ago and do a 3 phase learning path. Phase 1 was very simple and done in a few months, phase 2 was just completed 3 months ago, and phase 3 will be expensive so is likely a couple of years out. Will redirect the savings from Phase 2 to that. Anyway, details below.

Phase 1: Simple 12v system powering 2 12v attic fans in gables. Started with x2 Renogy 100w panels (like everyone does, but now use x2 275w Canadian Solar), 12v lead acid car battery I had laying around (now 12v LiFePo4 PowerQueen 100AH), and a cheap 30A MPPT controller. Gets the job done and has been working great in helping to keep our attic from reaching 150f every day.

Phase 2: 1 ton EG4 hybrid mini split on x6 275w Candadian Solar panels & grid wired, 2 ton EG4 hybrid mini split on x8 400w bi-facial Canadian Solar panels & grid tied. Only been completed about 2.5 months but seems to have cut grid usage by ~40%. We don't run the 14 SEER 5ton central during the day anymore. Savings between $200-300 in the summer, don't know exact as only gotten one complete bill so far with system in place. $210 savings on that one.

Phase 3: Haven't picked all the hardware for this yet, as new things are constantly released. But goal will be off-grid inverter(s) with battery backups with manual changeover to grid if need be. Would probably need ~20kW of solar, but unsure now with how usage has dropped from phase 2... so calculations might change that.

Anyway, will post pics if anyone's interested, but again... thank you and aloha.
Welcome and good luck on the journey, and addiction ;)

Welcome aboard ! Pics are always cool to see. The show and tell section is just for that.

Welcome! Where in south Texas are yall? Please post pictures otherwise it did not happen.

Ouch on the electric bill. I have a 2000SF house with no solar, and my last bill in this massive heat wave was only $324 (already dreading the next bill). That includes an electric HPWH plus charging a Chevy Bolt. Either your house is really big or really inefficient.

My system is for grid-down backup only.
San Antonio. The heat hole of Texas this year. Though most of Texas has been setting records really. The house is 2400sf but was built in the 60's so isn't the most efficient in the world. Plus we have the garage plumbed into the central (one of the reasons we bought the house) as I work on our fleet of vehicles fairly frequently and it's too hot to do so outside.

A grid-down setup is always handy given how irresponsible our politicians and energy company execs are with the power supply.(y)

Here are some pics... not sure what the best size for this forum is but I'll downsize them so they don't take up the entire screen for those with 1080p monitors. I know it's not the prettiest work, but it is functional, and safe. The EG4's have some foibles that I'll bring up in a thread on them but other than that we've been very happy with this.

Phase 1: 1.jpg 2.jpg

Phase 2: 9.jpg 8.jpg

7.jpg 6.jpg 4.jpg

3.jpg IMG_20230524_193211.jpg

Welcome aboard ! Pics are always cool to see. The show and tell section is just for that.
Thanks! You were the first source of info for starting this little foray back in the day. Much appreciation for that!(y)

BTW, can you multi-quote on this forum?

Not unlike what I've got going here in Denver....had a tiny system of two 50 panels some 20 years ago for ham radio stuff and playing around with. have recently decided to go rogue (i.e. avoid the code authorities and put an off-grid system in place) - Ecoflow, several more panels and manual transfer switch. No selling power to grid or any of that just avoiding the bills as much as possible.

Welcome to the Great State of Texas, Yes those mini splits pay for themselves easily.

Welcome. 42kWpv, 200+kWh of diy LFP, two Sol-Ark 12K’s and two 6500ex’s (they will be replaced with Schneider or Victron soon I’m sure)…This is finally enough for 2800sqft, 6.25Tons of high efficiency hp’s, standard 80gal wh, all electric home, 10kW lp Gen (rarely used) and woodburner (love it below 25F) for backup. In Ky. Install way more solar than you think you’ll need. Four pallets plus…batteries charged by 11 in the summer, 3 in the winter. Have fun!!!

Thanks! You were the first source of info for starting this little foray back in the day. Much appreciation for that!(y)

BTW, can you multi-quote on this forum?
Thanks! Addiction is right. Just like any other tech subject it seems that a planned (or unplanned) upgrade is almost a foregone conclusion. :cool:
I just hope that thanks doesn't turn into "You got me hooked and I can't stop ! "

Yep you can multi quote. I tried it just now to be sure. After clicking a post to reply to you can scroll up and keep clicking reply beside each post you want inserted into that first reply.

Background, so obviously it gets ridiculously hot in S. Texas and our bills were starting to regularly top $500/mo in the summer months.

Where at in Southern Texas?? I have a 2400sq ft house (and two powered sheds) and my electric bill rarely goes over $200, and that is without any solar.

I just hope that thanks doesn't turn into "You got me hooked and I can't stop ! "

Yep you can multi quote. I tried it just now to be sure. After clicking a post to reply to you can scroll up and keep clicking reply beside each post you want inserted into that first reply.
Thank you sir. ?
Where at in Southern Texas?? I have a 2400sq ft house (and two powered sheds) and my electric bill rarely goes over $200, and that is without any solar.
San Antonio so we only have one utility option. 2400sq ft ranch built in the 60's. Poorly insulated, though we added r30+ to the attic, new windows, and doors. Part of our "issue" is that the garage is ducted with the central so the garage door, though insulated, is always going to be a weak spot. Couple that with a nearing 10 year old 14 SEER 5 ton AC, old ductwork in a 140 degree attic, and you've got a recipe for burning cash. ?‍♂️

San Antonio so we only have one utility option.

I'm just outside of SA, so the weather here is the same. My electric rate per Kwh is between $0.10 and $0.12. Can't imagine the rates being that much different there. My AC is going on 17 years old. If the rate per Kwh is not way higher than mine, I would be looking into doing an energy audit to find out what is going on before possibly wasting money on solar.

One part that was actually a pretty cheap investment vs money saved was buying an emporia vue 2 monitor.

I got it off amazon here :

Its showing $164 right now. I don't remember what I paid for it but I do remember it paid for itself on power savings in the very first month of running it. I had stuff using power that I didn't realize.

Plus from that point forward I knew exactly what was using what power wise. Also if you setup alarms in it the thing will let you know if a hot water pipe burst (if you have an electric hot water heater) and if you forget and leave the stove on (if you have an electric stove of course).

To me its a must when going solar. Well it or something like it. There are other choices but that's what I use.

Last edited:
I'm just outside of SA, so the weather here is the same. My electric rate per Kwh is between $0.10 and $0.12. Can't imagine the rates being that much different there. My AC is going on 17 years old. If the rate per Kwh is not way higher than mine, I would be looking into doing an energy audit to find out what is going on before possibly wasting money on solar.
Yep. Rates are $0.108 (with all fees added) for the first 600kWh each month. And then it's $0.129 per kWh after that because of the summer months peak energy usage surcharge. We cut our usage with the mini-splits from 3000+kWh/mo from the same billing period last month to 1900kWh last month. I wouldn't consider a 36% energy reduction a waste of resources given the CPS bill savings that accompanies it, and us being able to have the house at 75f vs. the previous 78f. So we're much more comfortable, and saving money. (y)

What are the specs of your AC? House characteristics? We've found ours is particularly inefficient due to a dark colored roof, old shingle siding, and having the garage open to the house.

Eventual goal is total self-reliance. The 2021 grid issues have shaken our faith in politicians (already a very low amount of faith) and energy officials to do their jobs. Where ever politics lie, I believe in self-reliance.

What are the specs of your AC?
Old 4 ton R22 unit. I keep the temp at 76.

Eventual goal is total self-reliance.
Nothing wrong with that, but IMO you are using 2.5X the energy I am for the same sq footage, and it seems it would be a better use of funds to find out what is the biggest drain, and how to cut that down instead of needing to buy a solar system that is way bigger than need be.

Are you sure a neighbor is not leaching off your electric? With your rates about the same as mine, that is a LOT of usage.

One part that was actually a pretty cheap investment vs money saved was buying an emporia vue 2 monitor.

I got it off amazon here :

Its showing $164 right now. I don't remember what I paid for it but I do remember it paid for itself on power savings in the very first month of running it. I had stuff using power that I didn't realize.

Plus from that point forward I knew exactly what was using what power wise. Also if you setup alarms in it the thing will let you know if a hot water pipe burst (if you have an electric hot water heater) and if you forget and leave the stove on (if you have an electric stove of course).

To me its a must when going solar. Well it or something like it. There are other choices but that's what I use.
I've seen those installed on some YouTuber's setups. I like the idea, but the previous owner was a DIY type... and as a result our circuits aren't the most well thought out. And we have 3 breaker boxes. :rolleyes: Just had an electrician update 2 of the boxes as part of this project as the wiring was questionable and the oldest one still had screw in style fuses. Still have to try and label everything in someway that is logical.

Old 4 ton R22 unit. I keep the temp at 76.

Nothing wrong with that, but IMO you are using 2.5X the energy I am for the same sq footage, and it seems it would be a better use of funds to find out what is the biggest drain, and how to cut that down instead of needing to buy a solar system that is way bigger than need be.

Are you sure a neighbor is not leaching off your electric? With your rates about the same as mine, that is a LOT of usage.
We know the main culprit is the AC. Our winter usage numbers are much lower as we have a gas furnace so no electric to heat the house. The difference between your R22 4 ton (~2500w) and our R14 5 ton (~4900w/hr) is HUGE. We priced out having an HVAC company come install a SEER 22 5 ton unit and they wanted $18,000. LOL!!! We can run both our mini splits at night for ~1200w. Instead we run the central AC overnight as it's harder to evenly cool the whole house with the mini splits. So far, including the breaker box work, we've spent ~$10k.

We can see our powerlines coming off the pole, sure it's not a neighbor. Besides, all have been complaining about electric bills, so pretty sure they were suffering the same way we were in previous years. ?

Back