diy solar

diy solar

Another Inverter build

Welcome to the Forum Varta !

I agree with the others, best to keep it as a variac.

Variacs are designed to have a single layer winding (obviously), and to keep the size and cost and weight down, they are always run at a quite high flux density. The quality of the steel is usually not that good either, particularly in very old variacs.
That will create an unfortunately high no load idling current and not very high efficiency, which is fine for a variac, but a disaster for an inverter.

See if you can get your hands on an old blown up grid tie inverter. The transformer will usually be fine, and you can then rewind the primary to suit your particular battery voltage. You might get lucky finding people in your country that install solar systems. They may have some blown up grid tie inverters that cannot be repaired for one reason or another. Try scrap metal dealers in your area as well, they may have some transformers they have not yet stripped for the copper. These large transformers occasionally come up on e-bay and auctions.

If you can get two or three similar sized cores, its possible to stack them for increased power. For example, if you can find three old identical 1.5Kw inverters, you can then stack three cores and rewind it as a single 4.5Kw transformer.

Whatever you finally decide to do, we here can help you to design your new transformer. How many turns, what sized wire, and the best way to go about actually putting on the windings. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on this Forum that will be glad to help.

Look up Warpverter, on this forum and elsewhere.
It is 3 or 4 MSW inverters of different voltage & frequency wired in series, making sine wave out of staircase without HF switchers.
Same as the early Trace. Very solid and massive surge current.

It really depends on your final power goal.

For less than about 4Kw to 5Kw a conventional PWM transformer inverter will cost less to make, and be simpler.
But these do not scale up easily beyond those kinds of power levels, especially if you are a novice inverter builder. Layout becomes very critical, and its difficult to get multiple parallel connected mosfets to switch on and off together at a very high switching frequency, and also current share.

For much higher power levels, seriously consider a Warpverter. That requires winding four transformers instead of just one transformer, far more work and the cost of the cores and the copper will be higher. But it will be much easier to get going (without blow ups) and potentially a lot more reliable at higher power levels.
It will scale up very well, as all the switching is done at very low frequencies, and you can use large and slow switching devices that will create a much more robust and reliable inverter if you really plan to give it some punishment.

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and support.
Actually Warpverter was one of the reasons for registering on this site, I wanted to understand how does it work/see the schematics so I joined this forum.

There is a Warpverter thread here in this sub section of the Forum with full schematics that you have probably already found.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/warpverter.70397/
I can supply you with a bare control board and an EEPROM with all the required lookup tables.
All the rest is pretty straightforward with commonly available parts.
If you need any assistance with the transformer design, or the actual winding, I can help you with that as well.

diy solar

diy solar
Back