diy solar

diy solar

Anti Schneider posts

faccnator

Seems to be several anti Schneider posts all of a sudden. To me, something seems off.

I agree and was thinking the same thing a while back.
My best guess is Signature Solar selling them/new buyers expecting exactly their desired performance without reading the manuals and understanding how the settings work and what is possible.

My experience has been that the Conext gear is basically infinitely configurable. If it’s not working like you think it should it, you probably just haven’t figured it out yet.
In your experience has it been reasonable to dial in and/or troubleshoot

In your experience has it been reasonable to dial in and/or troubleshoot
Personally I just followed the detailed installation diagrams and manuals and all went super well.
They are easy to contact for support as well, whenever I email them with a question I get a fairly prompt response back.

Most of the issues with Schneider gear comes when you want to be grid connected - the settings are a lot more confusing and have what some may consider strange quirks. But for off-grid, amazing gear. Rock solid too (well, not the SW, but the XW's for sure).

My grid connected XW6048 has been very reliable. Twelve years old, with never having been turned off - no issues. Swapped out original AGM's with Lithium this year. Had to turn off unit for that, restarted after, and no problems. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

Seems like the Schneider issues posted here have been configuration problems, and as stated by others, set up of these units leave a lot of room for confusion/errors by DIY'ers.

I haven't posted about it recently, but my cabin system is Schneider-based: CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, MPPT-60/150, SCP Controller. It is rock solid and could very well last for decades after we installed it in 2017. However, I have had some minor issues that I could never resolve. Schneider was - and I suspect still is - not very DIY friendly. They really don't want to work with DIYers or owners of the equipment. They prefer to deal with professional installers, and made it very hard to get any help with my issues. They also declare components end-of-life pretty quickly (my SCP is now EOL), which is an annoyance.

I've since installed a couple of Victron systems, and I'm pretty sure I've done my last Schneider system. Victron is far better to work with, and DIY-friendly.

I don't think that counts as Schneider-bashing, but....

@Horsefly, agree with you on the Victron stuff. A couple years ago I installed an all Victron component system in my Sprinter, including 2 of their 200ah batteries. Although I have not used the van extensively, all has performed very well.

It feels like Schneider shrunk down their support department, realized it was hurting them, and have built it back up. When I called and emailed in 2020 or 2022 it would take at least few days to get any email response.

I think their support department is in a better spot now.

I've since installed a couple of Victron systems, and I'm pretty sure I've done my last Schneider system. Victron is far better to work with, and DIY-friendly.
I've never understood why Victron hasn't always gone through for UL listing on more components. That is the sole reason why I couldn't go with Victron.

I haven't posted about it recently, but my cabin system is Schneider-based: CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, MPPT-60/150, SCP Controller. It is rock solid and could very well last for decades after we installed it in 2017. However, I have had some minor issues that I could never resolve. Schneider was - and I suspect still is - not very DIY friendly. They really don't want to work with DIYers or owners of the equipment. They prefer to deal with professional installers, and made it very hard to get any help with my issues. They also declare components end-of-life pretty quickly (my SCP is now EOL), which is an annoyance.

I don't think that counts as Schneider-bashing, but....

exactly. the Schneider "model" is (was) to train "Installers" who install and manage customer's systems. Designed that way for over a decade. Yet I think they have found out that such systems are not great in numbers of customers when compared to some of the realities of the market

My son had a SolarEdge system install by a local installer who kept the Managing passwords to himself (maybe per SolarEdge rules, I do not know). Then that installer no longer has a business nor administers my son's system. Now my son has no one to call for support nor for additional features to add.

But looking at Schneider now, they seem to be pushing their product to DIY focused stores, maybe to increase sales. I love my Schneider system, but with other products being cheaper, and other better virtues, I won't do Schneider again, if/when I build another home system again.

I have prepared to add my second XW Pro, the cost to do that AND the actual cost of the 2nd XW Pro ($3500 from SS) overwhelms me when looking at the cost of a complete EG4-6000XP system. I also run my XW Pro in Off-Grid mode, I will not do Netmetering, which I believe will eventually not be useful in the coming days

Victron would be an option, as would EG4-6000XP based system. It is a impressive advancement of the tech compared to the older "model" of product designs

I've never understood why Victron hasn't always gone through for UL listing on more components.
I've wondered about the same. The equipment are solid so it's odd that they don't get UL while many Chinese products are getting UL approved.

I've wondered about the same. The equipment are solid so it's odd that they don't get UL while many Chinese products are getting UL approved.

Not odd at all.

They're an EU company focused on EU markets and RV/Marine. They basically have as much business as they can handle. EU power rates are NUTS, and their ESS system enables EU customers to optimize their grid interaction to minimize some crazy grid costs. Battery+inverter/charger with NO solar can have substantial ROI with rate arbitrage.

North America is a secondary market for them. The MPII 48/5000 is in the process of getting UL1741 approval... for awhile now.

A lot of their stuff is UL458 approved for RV/Marine - where they dominate.

They're an EU company focused on EU markets and RV/Marine.
Sure RV/marine was their roots but their marketing certainly promote presence in other markets too.

They basically have as much business as they can handle.
I saw them with a huge booth at SPI and they said they have the resources and plan for US business expansion. In addition to the Multis/Quatros, they were showing some pure grid-tied inverters that were supposed to be released in the US. So, it seems they have at least the desire to go beyond RV/marine markets in the US.

Sure RV/marine was their roots but their marketing certainly promote presence in other markets too.

Marketing is marketing.

I saw them with a huge booth at SPI and they said they have the resources and plan for US business expansion.

Of course they say that. It's marketing.

In addition to the Multis/Quatros, they were showing some pure grid-tied inverters that were supposed to be released in the US.

Oddly enough, all of their MP/Quattro variants are capable of grid backfeed... just most not allowed in the U.S.

If they're introducing pure grid-tied, that makes a little more sense because grid-tie is a much larger market than off-grid.

So, it seems they have at least the desire to go beyond RV/marine markets in the US.

IMHO, the proof is in the pudding. Desire is one thing. Action is another. UL certification of the MPII 48/5k has been ongoing for over a year. I've not heard of ANY plans to get UL certification on any of their Quattros. The last two years of blogs on their professional site rarely mention the U.S. at all.

30 years ago I worked for a geothermal manufacturer. You would not believe all the hoops you have to jump through to get UL Listed. I can't imagine what that's like now!

<Schneider is expensive>
If you compare an XW Pro against Victron or other high quality hybrid inverters, the cost isn't so wildly different. Maybe it seems expensive against some random EG4 inverter, but come on, lets not pretend they are even in the same league (in terms of quality) as Schneider, Victron, Outback, etc. You get what you pay for.

When I called and emailed in 2020 or 2022 it would take at least few days to get any email response.
I didn't think a response taking a few days was particularly slow, maybe my criteria for saying they are responsive is different than other people :D

"few" is generous. It was a week for most of the responses.

When I receive work emails from customers I try to respond with in hours, not days. That's my point of reference.

Back