diy solar

diy solar

Anybody had trouble uploading new EG4 LL V1 firmware?

Interesting, I was told by Signature Solar "recently" that the EG4 LL V1 batteries won't talk to my XW Pro 6848. However they said they would be releasing firmware for the to talk to the XW's in a Youtube video a while back

Where can I get the Scneider.hex file to update the firmware. I'd be willing to try this if you had success.

I really need to get the SOC working with my XW Pro 6848, as I recently upgraded the firmware on the XW Pro to the V2.04_BN0029 version and it goofed up to the grid support stuff.
Have you tried the firmware on the eg4 website? eg4electronics . com

Have you tried the firmware on the eg4 website? eg4electronics . com
I just found and downloaded it. ScneiderLFP16S_9600_V17R03.hex is the file that was included in the ZIP. I assume that's the right one to use for XW PRO 6848?

I'm having trouble getting my battery firmware to load. I'm using the little black RS485 adaptor that came with the batteries but switched to pin 1 and 2 (Orange-Orange/White). I've tried both polarities on the adaptor but fails to erase firmware. Also have battery with all dip switches down and fresh BMS power up. I verified the RS485 adaptor is working on pins 7&8 and can read the battery. Is that adaptor capable of doing firmware update using pins 1 & 2 or do I need a different one?

I just found and downloaded it. ScneiderLFP16S_9600_V17R03.hex is the file that was included in the ZIP. I assume that's the right one to use for XW PRO 6848?

I'm having trouble getting my battery firmware to load. I'm using the little black RS485 adaptor that came with the batteries but switched to pin 1 and 2 (Orange-Orange/White). I've tried both polarities on the adaptor but fails to erase firmware. Also have battery with all dip switches down and fresh BMS power up. I verified the RS485 adaptor is working on pins 7&8 and can read the battery. Is that adaptor capable of doing firmware update using pins 1 & 2 or do I need a different one?
Take a look at this post: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-read-write-cable.47469/post-608092

When you connect to the battery with BMS Tool, does your dip switch ID corresponds to the ID showing on BMS Tools for that battery? This is to confirm if your dip switch is connected as intended or it is backwards.

Take a look at this post: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-read-write-cable.47469/post-608092

When you connect to the battery with BMS Tool, does your dip switch ID corresponds to the ID showing on BMS Tools for that battery? This is to confirm if your dip switch is connected as intended or it is backwards.
When I connect BMS Tool and do a search, with ALL the dip switch down "as shown in the included firmware video" it shows ID 16. Is this right?
I tried putting them ALL UP and it shows ID 15.

Signature Solar support, after working with me 30 mins, finally told me the USB adapter they originally shipped with the batteries "even though i moved it to pins 1/2 and it would read the battery" will not work for firmware update. They shipped me a new cable and USB adapter. IT WORKED!
Schneider firmware is loaded in my EG4 LL V1 batteries.

And even better, I got it hooked up to my Insight Home "XW PRO 6848" and it see's the batteries and SOC. Working on getting everything re-configured for SOC control now, but things are FINALLY looking promising.

Signature Solar support, after working with me 30 mins, finally told me the USB adapter they originally shipped with the batteries "even though i moved it to pins 1/2 and it would read the battery" will not work for firmware update. They shipped me a new cable and USB adapter. IT WORKED!
Schneider firmware is loaded in my EG4 LL V1 batteries.
There really needs to be a Signature Solar "Gotchas" (I mean common technical problems) page (by Signature Solar). Glad you got it solved and posted the solution.

Curious, could you get the BMS monitor to work? I know it only works for communicating with one EG-4 LL V2 at this time, the one it's connected to. It'd drive me nuts if I could use BMS but couldn't update the firmware.

So I currently have (3) EG4 LL V1 batteries "with updated Schneider firmware" in closed loop with the XW Pro 6848 system via the Insight Home. I think it has all 3 batteries reporting, as the max discharge current in the BMS Monitor shows 300 amps. The Insight Home and XW PRO 6848 was updated to the LATEST firmware. (Insight V1.17 Build 79 and XW Pro 6848: V2.04 Build 29). I think this update might be important, as it adds some SOC functionality.

It was a process and any one thing not right and NOTHING works.. I'll put the steps I followed below:

1. Get the "special" cable from Signature Solar. They sent me a USB adapter and custom cat 5 cable. "the one the shipped with batteries would not work"
2. Updated all the firmware on all the batteries.
a. Shut all the batteries off "breaker and on/off switch"
b. Set dip switches to ALL down
c. Turn the battery on "leave breaker off"
d. Plug the signature solar update cable into the RS485 port of battery you want to update.
e. Using their firmware update program, load the shnieder hex that came with the updater then choose the com port your cable is assigned, click open, then start. Wait for it to finish successfully. Battery will reboot when done.
3. Hook a cat 5 cable to the Insight Home to your main batteries RS485 port. On a standard cat 5 cable you will hook Orange/White to upper right most connection "when looking pin outs on Insight Home. Then Orange to the connection left of that. Sorry no pic, but SS has a video showing it pretty good.
4. Set the main battery hooked to the Insight Home to ID 1. "Right dip switch up, all others down"
5. Set all the other batteries to something other than 1 or all down. They need to all be on a unique ID. Daisy chain batteries together on battery com ports with cat 5 cables.
6. Power cycle each battery after dip switch setting have been changed via the on/off switch
7. Log into the Insight Home GUI. Go to Setup -> Detect Devices. Type in 1 to 10 and click detect. It should find your battery.Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.12.00 PM.png
8. Click on Devices and you should now see the Schneider BMS Monitor show up. It might take a min or two. I didn't think it worked at first, as it didn't immediately show up. It was several mins for mine and then there it was after a refresh. Click on it and verify all batteries are accounted for, by looking at your Max Discharge Amps. 100amps X the number of batteries you have is what should be showing. I have 3 batteries so 300amps.
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.13.35 PM.png
9. Here's a missing step in all the videos I've watched. You have to Associate the NEW BMS Monitor to a battery. Click on the BMS Monitor in Devices, then click on Configuration. Choose House Battery bank 1 for Device Association, unless you are using a different one than default. You can also Name the BMS in Device Name.
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.18.40 PM.png
10. You should be ready to switch the XW to closed loop now. Inside the Schneider web GUI, go to Configuration -> Battery Setting. Set Battery Type to Li-Ion, Set Charge Cycle to External BMS and enable SOC control. There is a chance the XW will go into standby mode shutting power off to it's output during this. Be aware of that.
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.09.05 PM.png
11. Finally you can adjust the BMS communication parameters to what signature solar suggests or your liking. Go to XW Pro -> Battery Management System Setting. Click on advanced button to see all options. Here is what I currently have:
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.27.10 PM.png
12. You should also go configure the SOC setting in all the other settings to suit your liking. like Grid Support, Battery settings and Charging settings.

Hope this helps someone. I wish I had a more complete guide than what has been provided by Signature Solar in their videos. In fact they don't even say the EG4 LL V1 will work with the XW Pro 6848 in closed loop so I never even tried until @JFKS mentioned he got it working. I then was on a mission to get mine going.

It seems this is the only place I could find that states EG4 Batteries LL's version, with V1 firmware works closed loop, with the new firmware released as you described above @Mr-Sandman. Thanks to you I have my batteries in closed loop communication with my 6848 Pro and 6 EG4 LL's V1.

Has anyone tired to integrate their Schneider 6848 Pro / EG4 setup into Home Assistant? I have found the ModBus Maps and I have integrated most of the important stuff so far, however I have not been able to get any data from the "EG4 BMS" that is found when we search for as described above.

Modbus Maps from Schneider:

Snipped - Home Assistant Configuration YAML example:

YAML:
#data_type: int, uint, float, string, custom (default int)
#count: 1, 2 (default 1 for 16-bit register, 2 for 32-bit register)
#input_type: holding, input (default holding)

# Loads default set of integrations. Do not remove.
default_config:

# Load frontend themes from the themes folder
frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

#sensor: !include sensors.yaml

influxdb:
  host: a0d7b954-influxdb
  port: 8086
  database: homeassistant
  username: homeassistant
  password: homeassistant
  max_retries: 3
  default_measurement: state

modbus:
  - name: conext_gateway
    type: tcp
    host: 192.168.86.245
    port: 503
    delay: 2
    timeout: 15
    sensors:

################################################################################################################
################################################################################################################
##########                   SEMB_BMS 0 Modbus SlaveAddress (Port 503): 230                            #########

#      - name: "EG4 Internal BMS - Battery SOC"
#        data_type: uint32
#        unit_of_measurement: V
#        scale: 1
#        slave: 230
#        address: 70
#        address: 969

##########                   XW Pro 6848 Modbus SlaveAddress (Port 503): 171                           #########

- name: "0 - XW 4868 Inverter Enabled"
        data_type: uint16
        input_type: input
        slave: 10
        address: 71
        scan_interval: 1

- name: "0 - XW 4868 Active Faults Flag"
        address: 75

- name: "0 - XW 4868 Active Warnings Flag"
        address: 76

- name: "0 - XW 4868 Battery Current"
        data_type: int32
        count: 2
        address: 82
        unit_of_measurement: A
        scale: 0.001
        offset: 0
        precision: 3

- name: "0 - XW 4868 Battery Power"
        data_type: int32
        count: 2
        address: 84
        scale: 1
        offset: 0
        precision: 0
        device_class: energy
        unit_of_measurement: W

#snip

I will create my own post here in the forum for how ive tired this intergration. Im just curious if anyone here has attempted this?

Attachments

• configuation.yaml.txt
    18 KB · Views: 2
Just a quick update... I received the recommended USB-RS485 adapter and gave it a try. I was able to update all my EG4LL V1's to the new software without any problem at all.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the EG4 V2 battery to talk to the XW Pro inverter so am stalled out again at the moment. Back to tech support...
Hello.

Hope you are well. I found your post and I have a similar setup. I am trying to find the actual firmware and software to update my two EG4-LL V1 batteries.

Can you tell me where I can find the software (PIC BMS 485) and the firmware?

Hello.

Hope you are well. I found your post and I have a similar setup. I am trying to find the actual firmware and software to update my two EG4-LL V1 batteries.

Can you tell me where I can find the software (PIC BMS 485) and the firmware?
Please post a reply, if you find it. I need it for Victron equipment. Thanks
@EG4_Jarrett could help...

Back