diy solar

diy solar

Anyone using a Euro standard AIO in the US?

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
I happened to be looking about at various AIO's hoping to find a bit more power than my present 24vDC 3kW 120vAC units without jumping to 48vDC. Not anything US standard available but I did see a 4.2VA (3.8kW) unit model really dirt cheap ($286) ISolar-SMH-II-4.2KW that got me thinking about setting up a Euro standard system at my place. Rather nice PV range of 55vDC to 450vDC and up to 6000w array. 110a charging would almost make the unit worthwhile to simply use as a MPPT SCC.

Not sure if I could trust it to power a dedicated US split phase 240vAC load, since it auto detects frequency and might default to 50hz without grid input, but it occurred to me that it could be used to power Euro standard items that could be bought for my use without any grid hookup. In use it would connect to an array and feed the common battery bank. Its output would feed a dedicated circuit for Euro standard equipment (using Euro standard plugs so no inadvertent mistakes are made with plug in).

So do any US types run a Euro off grid electrical setup? How is it working out for you?

The use of a output transformer on a Euro standard AIO would be to try to get US standard split phase. It occurred to me that rather than put up with the problems of that it might be advantageous to simply go 230vAC single phase. Reduced wire sizes for the same wattage and also voltage drop for transmission and the availability of Euro standard equipment these days (I can order all kind of stuff through Aliexpress or Ebay even Amazon), makes for an interesting concept for an Off grid setup.

There is also a lot more Euro standard AIO's out there with cheaper prices.

Back