diy solar

diy solar

Anyone using a generator to charge batteries on MPP LV6548?

The generator isn't bolted down.
It's all jiggly. lol
It’s funny you say that because that thing was shaking and the reading was so bad I thought it was a bad connection. I put it under full load and it handled it well but it definitely wasn’t a bad connection. Just the way it is. The waveform did get a little bit better but it only subjective.

I didn't either but I am learning. What it means is I have a $1600 generator in my yard that doesn't charge my batteries due to total harmonic distortion if I understand correctly. See the photos above from Skypower.

That’s not all that uncommon
Two pole machines don’t have a lot of slots in them
Think of a step pyramid
The nature of a distributed winding with few slots means less choices in the engineering of the winding and smaller it is in power output the more likely your going to get some odd harmonic distortion

Looking at the way forms I see a lot of distortion
That unit is probably unloaded for the test
That might clean up with a load on it
A cap run motor might soak up a lot of that distortion and let the charger pick up

Meter looks like a Chinese 100 dollar scope meter
That’s something I would use with a set of fused leads ( but I would use it )
Only CAT 2 or 3
More of a bench electronics tool than a power electronics tool

Link to a Chinese scope meter

I don’t know what unit is on shots in the previous posts
For residential use under 250 I think they are probably fine but buy some fused leads
Quality leads from fluke or something so you don’t have to worry about an accident

kkm828 High Clarity Intelligent Graphical Digital Oscilloscope Multimeter 2.4 Inches Color Screen 1MHz Bandwidth Oscilloscope

I myself have an old Eaton ups for back on my sump pump
It’s not at all willing to except power from my old Onan lk
It could be harmonics and noise
I have removed some bad filter caps from it
It also gallops a long 1800 rpm with one cylinder

I have another a small 3600 rpm Kohler the ups is fine with

I should put a scope on them to see what the problem really is
But it’s not unique to cheap generators

Link to a Chinese scope meter

I don’t know what unit is on shots in the previous posts
For residential use under 250 I think they are probably fine but buy some fused leads
Quality leads from fluke or something so you don’t have to worry about an accident

kkm828 High Clarity Intelligent Graphical Digital Oscilloscope Multimeter 2.4 Inches Color Screen 1MHz Bandwidth Oscilloscope
Yup, it is a cheap oscope. What’s infuriating is every time you turn it on you have to scroll and push buttons for while to get a sine wave. It doesn’t friggen remember the last settings or do it automatically. Once it’s running it does have a nice visual. Despite the 10x reduction lead it still managed to hurt something so I get a bottom clipped view if I look at a 240v source. Yeah, I’m in the market so I can set this on up on the target range for all the aggravation.

It takes 7 pages in the manual to get WatchPower setup. There’s the first clue.
Wasted two days of my life struggling and gave up. Installed Solar Assistant and it was easy. A half an hour after receiving it, it was working.
I have tried and failed to get WatchPower running. Total junk! I downloaded the Solar Assistant app. I hope it will work.

Yup, it is a cheap oscope. What’s infuriating is every time you turn it on you have to scroll and push buttons for while to get a sine wave. It doesn’t friggen remember the last settings or do it automatically. Once it’s running it does have a nice visual. Despite the 10x reduction lead it still managed to hurt something so I get a bottom clipped view if I look at a 240v source. Yeah, I’m in the market so I can set this on up on the target range for all the aggravation.
Good test equipment is expensive
I can’t afford it

Since you are already playing with these things what recommendations do you have?

Off and on I have looked at this mustool meter
Says it’s CAT II and rated for 1000 volts ( I highly doubt )
I do a fair bit of testing and head scratching on soft starts and in sophisticated stuff it would be nice to be able to put a scope on and see it scrs are firing or things are happening as I might expect
I don’t really do anything that would require a real scope
I would just like to be able to see what my meter sees

Any thoughts and observations on what you have and think would be appreciated

I wish the Chinese made something in the 100 dollar range that was safe to 1000 volts and simple for basic troubleshooting
I don’t need a real scope just a visual aid

Last edited:
Searched forum, and did not find any results.
Have two LV6548's split phase.
Have generator connected to input side.
L1 and L2 connected, and even swapped connections from genny to L1 and L2. (Read somewhere that might help.)
No luck. MPP's reset as if to sync with the AC, but never completely connect.

Followed diagram sent with system that says it can be done.
But no luck.

All I wanted to do is charge batteries when we have a few days of no sun.

Alternatively, I have shut down the system, and attached battery chargers to the batteries, and wake them back up. Just a pain.

My generator is a Generac 7500XL. Output is 30A 220vac.

I diverted from original plan to use my MPP Solar inverters for battery charging once I found out they require to be in bypass in order to charge. I instead bought 2 AIMS 48v (51.2v with LFP charge profile), 18.75a standalone chargers, a charger to put on each leg of generator, and will charge battery bank while inverting (not requiring bypass).

I will still wire a generator circuit with a breaker (to leave off usually) to the AC inputs of the MPP Solar in case for emergency charging, but will likely never use them for charging as long as the AIMS 48v chargers function properly. I know Signature Solar and others also sell adequate 48v chargers, somewhere between 18 and 20 amps as well. Could buy 4 of them if you think you needed more charging amps.

There's a thread on here somewhere comparing a few different standalone charger models.

Reactions: DPC
I wish the Chinese made something in the 100 dollar range that was safe to 1000 volts and simple for basic troubleshooting
I don’t need a real scope just a visual aid
They’re all safe at a 1000V as long as you recategorize them as unsafe and insane fireworks. As far as selection of the next one it’ll be based on the number of stars on Amazon and how little I want to retire on. So no, I probably don’t have a good suggestion?

Yeapook (Fnirsi) ADS1013D Tablet Oscilloscope first test and thoughts
I’ve actually seen three different YouTube channels use that unit. I don’t think any were electrical geeks so if they could make it do squiggly lines, then I’m probably safe to not kill it. The only complaint I’ve seen is about the placement of the bnc jacks.

I’ve actually seen three different YouTube channels use that unit. I don’t think any were electrical geeks so if they could make it do squiggly lines, then I’m probably safe to not kill it. The only complaint I’ve seen is about the placement of the bnc jacks.
I have one, get the optional 100x probe to be safe measuring voltage. The output on my inverters is cleaner than my grid voltage.

Reactions: DPC
I have one, get the optional 100x probe to be safe measuring voltage. The output on my inverters is cleaner than my grid voltage.
Yeah, it’s pretty amazing how nice the inverters make the sine wave. If you watch the scope when the LED lights flicker the wave does change except for slight amplitude as the inverter chases correction.

Yeah, it’s pretty amazing how nice the inverters make the sine wave. If you watch the scope when the LED lights flicker the wave does change except for slight amplitude as the inverter chases correction.
You would be amazed how much a dirty set of slip rings, a twit by dying regulator or even just a bad diode in an exciter make lines squiggle

So it’s probably not a bad investment these days
If I could just pick the right one

Searched forum, and did not find any results.
Have two LV6548's split phase.
Have generator connected to input side.
L1 and L2 connected, and even swapped connections from genny to L1 and L2. (Read somewhere that might help.)
No luck. MPP's reset as if to sync with the AC, but never completely connect.

Followed diagram sent with system that says it can be done.
But no luck.

All I wanted to do is charge batteries when we have a few days of no sun.

Alternatively, I have shut down the system, and attached battery chargers to the batteries, and wake them back up. Just a pain.

My generator is a Generac 7500XL. Output is 30A 220vac.
Turned out my Generator was at fault. Didn't have a clean output. Bit the bullet, and bought an inverter generator.
All is well.

Back