diy solar

diy solar

Are EcoFlow River Pro's AC outlets GFCI?

pralinebuckets

Hi all,
I have a small cabin off grid and am trying to decide how to wire the AC. The River Pro will live in the cabin, and I'd like to have an AC 120V outlet near it, with cable running to another AC 120V outlet outside. That way I can plug the generator to the outside plug, and plug the River Pro's AC charging cable to the interior outlet to charge it. When not charging the River, I could plug its AC outlet into the indoor outlet to provide power to the exterior outlet when required.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the outside outlet should be GFCI or not. I know that normally any outlet that might get wet would be GFCI - which obviously includes an outlet outside. However, there are a couple of things that are making me wonder:
  1. If the River Pro's outlets are already GFCI, I gather downstream outlets should not also be GFCI.
  2. After some searching, I've seen that devices like the River will often trip downstream GFCI outlets.

Hi all,
I have a small cabin off grid and am trying to decide how to wire the AC. The River Pro will live in the cabin, and I'd like to have an AC 120V outlet near it, with cable running to another AC 120V outlet outside. That way I can plug the generator to the outside plug, and plug the River Pro's AC charging cable to the interior outlet to charge it. When not charging the River, I could plug its AC outlet into the indoor outlet to provide power to the exterior outlet when required.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the outside outlet should be GFCI or not. I know that normally any outlet that might get wet would be GFCI - which obviously includes an outlet outside. However, there are a couple of things that are making me wonder:
  1. If the River Pro's outlets are already GFCI, I gather downstream outlets should not also be GFCI.
  2. After some searching, I've seen that devices like the River will often trip downstream GFCI outlets.
These portable power stations technically don’t need GFCI due to the fact they are isolated power generation.
(No hot to ground possibility.)
So unless you have your corded outside receptacle’s ground bonded to earth, there shouldn’t be any issue.
You’re technically running a basic extension cord.
-
But please don’t make a deadman cord (double male plug) to connect the generator to said receptacle.
Install a proper generator hookup box. Basic ones have what looks like a plug inside a recessed hole.
Stay safe & properly set up your power connections.
-
As for the regular generator, you’ll need to check if it’s ground isolated or requires a ground bond to earth.

Back