diy solar

diy solar

Startup Multiplus II 2x 120v issues

Sportzfann

Looking for some help on a multiplus startup, I turned on my battery to my multi plus, and started testing the AC and the DC voltages and operating the unit. everything looks good at this point, I get my 120v inside the camper, i ran a small 1200w heater out one of my kitchen outlets and we look good.
I went to plug into a 15a gfci outlet outside my garage and wanted to test the charger side of the unit and my gfci trips off. The multiplus switches to charger mode and then goes back to inverter mode. I check the troubleshooting manual and don’t really see anything that talks about that condition, any suggestions would be welcome ? Thanks

Do you know what the maximum charging current is set to for the inverter? It sounds like it might be set too high for and the gfci is tripping causing the charging to cease.

I haven’t set any parameters in the multiplus it is all the default settings. I figured i Will plug it into a dedicated 20 A cir in the garage tomorrow and try that.
I had hoped I could just use the factory settings and go with it. I did see the blue tooth for the multiplus was trying to connect, I wonder if I can adjust the settings thru the app on my phone?
i thought it might be a grounding issue also but maybe it is the over current causing the tripping of the GFCI. Thanks ?

Looking for some help on a multiplus startup, I turned on my battery to my multi plus, and started testing the AC and the DC voltages and operating the unit. everything looks good at this point, I get my 120v inside the camper, i ran a small 1200w heater out one of my kitchen outlets and we look good.
I went to plug into a 15a gfci outlet outside my garage and wanted to test the charger side of the unit and my gfci trips off. The multiplus switches to charger mode and then goes back to inverter mode. I check the troubleshooting manual and don’t really see anything that talks about that condition, any suggestions would be welcome ? Thanks

You have the neutral and ground bonded somewhere inside the camper or multiplus grounding relay set wrong.

How is the multiplus wired into the camper? Where did you hook it in?

My guess is the input amp limit is too high - probably 50amp is the default- you need to drop that to 15amps (I would go to the minimum 7.5amps).

You probably popped either the GFCI breaker or your circuit panel breaker.

You have the neutral and ground bonded somewhere inside the camper or multiplus grounding relay set wrong.

How is the multiplus wired into the camper? Where did you hook it in?
I haven’t been able to get back to enable the Bluetooth on my phone yet I had to stop troubleshooting. I wired the multiplus to the shore power twist lock then into the multiplus and back out into the ac panel just like the original feed. Into ac input1 out of ac output 1.
how do you set the grounding relay? Can that be done with the dongle ? Or phone app ?

My guess is the input amp limit is too high - probably 50amp is the default- you need to drop that to 15amps (I would go to the minimum 7.5amps).

You probably popped either the GFCI breaker or your circuit panel breaker.
The GFCI tripped off just as the multi switches to charging mode. I was able to run a portable heater inside the rv in inverter mode, so don’t think I have a neutral/grounding issue it was plugged into a GFCI in the kitchen. It didn’t trip off while inverter was active I think the GFCI would trip soon as I plugged into shore power if I had a groundin/ neutral issue. Can these charger settings be modified with the phone app?
thanks Sparks

I haven’t been able to get back to enable the Bluetooth on my phone yet I had to stop troubleshooting. I wired the multiplus to the shore power twist lock then into the multiplus and back out into the ac panel just like the original feed. Into ac input1 out of ac output 1.
how do you set the grounding relay? Can that be done with the dongle ? Or phone

Are you able to get current to pass through the Multiplus and power items in the trailer without the charger function turned on "passthru".

Can these charger settings be modified with the phone app?
I don’t think you can make settings changes with the phone app or over Bluetooth. You need a Mark 3 to USB device and then a computer running Victron Connect (windows or Mac) or VE Config (windows only).

Are you able to get current to pass through the Multiplus and power items in the trailer without the charger function turned on "passthru".
I didn’t know if the Multiplus has a pass thru function? To do this I would have to use shore power and the multiplus would be in off position?
i can try that and see if the shore power passes thru.

I didn’t know if the Multiplus has a pass thru function? To do this I would have to use shore power and the multiplus would be in off position?
It does have a pass through function but unless you disabled the charging function (in the settings), it will pass through and charge at the same time.

Get the app going, otherwise the first step in diag would be to disconnect a/c out into the camper from the multiplus and see if the gfci still trips.

So I made some progress I was able to get the BT dongle connected, I used a different outlet without the gfci and I was able to get the charger function to work I can see it in the app. I am concerned about the default charge current for my battery bank, it was in bulk mode pushing 65a to the battery, the battery was already close to 100% i am worried about battery damage because the default settings are for a lead acid battery, so I shut the multi unit off. I have ordered the mk3 usb interface, so i can go in the multiplus and change the settings to lifpo battery,
2x200 ah Li time. I’m sure there are other settings that need to be modified Also.

So I made some progress I was able to get the BT dongle connected, I used a different outlet without the gfci and I was able to get the charger function to work I can see it in the app. I am concerned about the default charge current for my battery bank, it was in bulk mode pushing 65a to the battery, the battery was already close to 100% i am worried about battery damage because the default settings are for a lead acid battery, so I shut the multi unit off. I have ordered the mk3 usb interface, so i can go in the multiplus and change the settings to lifpo battery,
2x200 ah Li time. I’m sure there are other settings that need to be modified Also.

So lots to get used to here if you just changed to lithium as well.

Lithium sucks up the juice....well it's not that simple.

Well go over the absorption voltage and settings with you after you get the MK3 going.

Albeit, I thought that could be changed via Bluetooth in the App?

It does have a pass through function but unless you disabled the charging function (in the settings), it will pass through and charge at the same time.
Can the charging function settings be changed with the mobile app ? Or with the mk3 interface only?
that way I can test the pass thru functionality.

This multiplus and solar and batteries are all new, I just completed the wiring and was just switching it on.
the GFCI issue is an outlet problem, I will change it out and try another time, For now seems to be good, I will connect my 30aRV surge suppressor at some point and try plugging into that also.
I will need to adjust some settings once I have the interface device, I didn’t want to risk damaging the batteries with such a high charge rate.
I didnt read anyway to adjust other settings in the BT app. I will read up on the pass thru function thanks for the help!!

Can the charging function settings be changed with the mobile app ? Or with the mk3 interface only?
that way I can test the pass thru functionality.

Tap or click on the status indicator icon.

Screenshot_20231224_123528.jpg

Tap the gear icon in the upper right to change charging amperage and voltage settings

Back