diy solar

diy solar

Aren't you curious about that jumper?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So one of @Will Prowse 's older videos, the one on the MPP 5048 and BigBattery, he finds that it will not charge from a 120v source, then figures out about 7 min in that a jumper between the hot legs solved that problem.

Here's my quandry:

My camp currently has an open frame 6500w generator that is only used for the deep well pump. I'm tired of having to walk the 350ft through the woods, get the generator to start, fire up the pump for 5 or 6 minutes, shut it off, and walk back. When I want to do dishes it's hike down there, start everything up, hile back, do dishes, hike BACK down there, shut everything iff, and hike back to the cabin.

I'd leave the generator running but it consumes a gallon an hour just to idle. My othrr 2 inverter generators are 2kw and 3500w but 120v only. I'd like to get a 6000xp and the indoor 14kw battery to replace the generator, but I don't have the money to buy all that, the panels and wires, AND a new 6kw inverter generator.

So, I figure that a few of us might be curious about it, but @Will Prowse would be the only one with the equipment to actually try out the 5048 jumper trick to see if a 240v split phase inverter coukd be AC charged from a 120v source.

So, Will, aren't you curious? 😉

Also, tell us more about your water system, maybe a bigger pressure tank would help somwhat. Like really big, an old hot water heater for instance.

I've got a pair of 35gal pressure tanks already and running out of space in the pump house. I've got the cells to make a 280ah 48v battery to feed the 6000xp or 6048 and enough wall space to mount it near where the current generator lives if I build it as an upright unit.

Already been tried and it doesn't work.
Bummer. 🥺

Chargeverters wil run on 120V, though at reduced output. Not sure if that helps…
I was hoping to avoid another component but it sounds like that'll be my only option. Are there any decent ones other than the EG4 that can do ~1500w on 120v?

Back