diy solar

diy solar

Automatic transfer switch?

Say....that sounds pretty good! I found a 7" touch screen (Raspberry PI) on Amazon for about $97

Is this the correct one to get? Raspberry Pi

Is it correct to say the following;

No Cerbo GX is required
Get the Raspberry Pi touch screen
Flash Venus on to a microSD card
Install the SD card to the Raspberry display
Get the Raspberry to talk to the system, etc.

This sounds like a very good idea! (but too good to be true)
I can't tell you anything about a touch screen because I never use one. Like @Q-Dog I just monitor from whatever device I have handy (usually my iPhone, sometimes iPad, occasionally computer) amd it works anywhere, local or remote. Purchase a 3B+ if you wish to use wifi instead of ethernet (I do). I avoided trying a RPi 4 because apparently the available Venus software doesn't work quite as well, but I haven't tried it on one amd didn't have a spare 4 laying around. You'll need the correct cables, of course. MK3 to USB for the Multiplus, and VE Direct to USB for each of the SCC and Smartshunt.

You have the setup process correct in terms of downloading the correct Venus image frm Victron onto a microSD and then just popping it into the RPi, etc. I did it with the RPi temporarily hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and then selected the options to run headless. If you've ever set up a RPi for anything else it's reasonably straightforward and similar (was easier than setting up my Plex server on a RPi). Personally, it takes me much longer to remember how to do this end of things than anything related to Venus itself, as I only fiddle with a RPi about every 12-24 months and forget everything.

Keep in mind that I use this for monitoring, not configuring. To configure things I use bluetooth for my SCC and Smartshunt, and pull out an old Windows laptop to use VE Config with the Multiplus because Victron doesn't offer it for Mac (one of only two complaints I have about Victron, the other being lack of UL listings for most things). One or two of the Victron gurus on the forum who normally use a Cerbo GX just ordered an RPi to try this out, so you may find much more knowledgable people here than me in a few weeks.

I found these links helpful:

This is NOT a good solution for someone who doesn't want to take the time to learn how to set up a RPi and I am not the person to offer help with that because I have to relearn it every time I do it, and I have limited time. But for those who might find it fun to do, have the time to do that, and want an inexpensive way to monitor their Victron equipment, this is a good solution.

I went back and looked at my receipt to see which RasPi I used. Here is what I ordered to get VRM going on my system.
(I already had a Victron Mk3-USB and a microSD card.) This allowed me to connect/monitor the MultiPlus, BMV-712 Battery Monitor, SCC.

1 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B+ - 1.4GHz Cortex-A53 with 1GB RAM[ID:3775]
1 x Aluminum Heat Sink for Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 - 15 x 15 x 15mm[ID:3082]
1 x 5V 2.5A Switching Power Supply with 20AWG MicroUSB Cable[ID:1995]
1 x Adafruit Raspberry Pi B+ / Pi 2 / Pi 3 Case - Smoke Base (w/ Clear Top) [ID:2258]
2 x JST PH 4-Pin to Male Header Cable - I2C STEMMA Cable - 200mm[ID:3955]
2 x USB to TTL Serial Cable - Debug / Console Cable for Raspberry Pi[ID:954]

Thank you, all, for your recommendations.

Another idea I had was this- just connect the Victron IP-65 charger to the BB batteries and limit the current on the charger. Draw all power from the existing Giandel inverter.

What do you think?

(am still going to use Rsp)

Thanks

Back