diy solar

diy solar

Automatic transfer switch?

I don't want an interruption in power- all the computers will shut down.
It has to be "break before make" (interruption) to keep the two sources of separate. There is no guarantee they are in-phase with each other.

If you have "make before break" then they are momentarily connected and bad things can happen.

I don't want an interruption in power- all the computers will shut down.
This switches power in less than 50 millisecond. My workstations, routers, antennas, never shut down during a switch and i tested it enough.
If you are concerned about your computers you should maybe consider an ups too, a surge voltage in the grid during a storm fried one of my hard drives years ago with all the data in it. An ups is cheap and it will provide continous power during the switch and also will protect the electronics.

What?! Are you SURE it works that fast?

Is it a manual transfer? That is, you just turn the knob?

I'm also concerned, very concerned, about burning down the house. That's why I chose Victron and Battle Born. My system's simple but it sure would be nice to save the money.

What?! Are you SURE it works that fast?

Is it a manual transfer? That is, you just turn the knob?

I'm also concerned, very concerned, about burning down the house. That's why I chose Victron and Battle Born. My system's simple but it sure would be nice to save the money.
It works both in automatic and manual mode, you can select what mode you want. As i said i have tested it in my house and it works, the computers, 3d printers, router, etc dont shut down.

This is chinese stuff, and even if i havent seen any of these burn or cause problems, if i was living in a house made of wood or they were mounted in a place with flammable stuff in it i think i would go for the victron too.

If you have place that is a firehazard, i think the extra expense is high quality stuff is worth the money. I have mine in a reinforced concrete warehouse with all industrials standards against fire in it so i dont worry about it.

All of the system's stuff is located in our basement on non flammable material (concrete block wall) and concrete floor.

Do you have a part number/link for that gadget you mentioned?

This is how you wire a 3 phase one. I think that if you have expensive electronics like a computer the best thing is to use also an cheap UPS (uninterruptible power supply) in combination with it.

ATS WIRING.jpg

By the time I buy UPS for the energy hog computers we run I'll be almost at the price of the Multiplus.

For the moment I'll just use Victron Connect to monitor the system. It would be nice to view data remotely via internet but there's a annual fee...isn't there?
The Cerbo GX is great, but Victron also offers their Venus software for free, for Raspberry Pi (better on a 3 than a 4, I'm told, but I've only used a 3B+). And no fee at all! Fantastic for monitoring Victron equipment.

Say....that sounds pretty good! I found a 7" touch screen (Raspberry PI) on Amazon for about $97

Is this the correct one to get? Raspberry Pi

Is it correct to say the following;

No Cerbo GX is required
Get the Raspberry Pi touch screen
Flash Venus on to a microSD card
Install the SD card to the Raspberry display
Get the Raspberry to talk to the system, etc.

This sounds like a very good idea! (but too good to be true)

Last edited:
Say....that sounds pretty good! I found a 7" touch screen (Raspberry PI) on Amazon for about $97

Is this the correct one to get? Raspberry Pi

Is it correct to say the following;

No Cerbo GX is required
Get the Raspberry Pi touch screen
Flash Venus on to a microSD card
Install the SD card to the Raspberry display
Get the Raspberry to talk to the system, etc.

This sounds like a very good idea! (but too good to be true)
I use Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi. Don't really need a dedicated screen for it. I mostly monitor my system using VRM from whatever device I have handy. I also hung an obsolete ipad on the wall next to my system in case I go back there and don't have my phone with me.

Most encouraging!
Now, can I still monitor everything on my own computer without using VRM portal?

Oh, does the Raspberry have wifi built into it?

Both the Cerbo and the Roll your own Raspberry Pi both run the GX software.

Make sure you know how you will connect each device (Multiplus, BMV, Mppt) to the Pi. I just don’t know- cause I bought the CCGX - and it was a cable.

I am sure it will be cheaper to Roll your own - but make sure the all-in cost is enough cheaper to justify your time,etc.

Would a solution be to run your computer's off the batteries all the time and ensure that the batteries receive a charge from the grid when required, to keep them topped up to the level necessary to keep the computers running 24/7

Back