diy solar

diy solar

AWG Not Right -- A Public Safety Warning

Actually it's a little harder than that. Here's a listing of one manufacturer's 8AWG wire selection specs:

View attachment 177179

Look at the great variation in the diameter of the different wires- from .129 for solid to .178 for 1715/40

Here's the url for the whole chart:
Yes, solid is always a smaller diameter than stranded. And fine stranded often has a much larger diameter.

Be sure you measure the bound diameter, not squished.

Ive stuck with windy nation so far on my stuff and its all been the right size so far for the last 15 years on stuff down to 2 awg. The really large cables I have are from another source.

I use a caliper to measure the wire and its easy to spot problems when you put an end on the cable getting ready to hydraulically crimp it.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be them :)

With so many proved manufacturers of wires in USA...why dont you buy from a distributor... thhn/THW

Southwire
Phelps Dodge
Europe
Miguelez
Good quality wires...

If I'm not sure of the wire gauge I use a caliper and measure it. And then look it up on a chart. Other than some cheap auto speaker wire, I've never seen any "mistakes".

Well, its been 3 days and op has not posted proof of the issue, nor posted the seller.
Its too bad too, because he did tell me the seller, and it is a big name we all have used.
So, photos prooving the gaff would be EXTREMELY helpful to members.

Otherwise, this is just a generic warning to check the wire before you put it in use...

Well, its been 3 days and op has not posted proof of the issue, nor posted the seller.
Its too bad too, because he did tell me the seller, and it is a big name we all have used.

Otherwise, this is just a generic warning to check the wire before you put it in use...
I understand not wanting to post the vendor name without proof- but have there been any other reports, even unverified, about this vendor?

I just got into DIY solar and I opted to go with WindyNation premade cables since they're so highly recommended. Would hate to hear it's them. I'm spending a little extra to try to avoid burning everything down due to the epidemic of false advertising from online marketplaces.

I understand not wanting to post the vendor name without proof- but have there been any other reports, even unverified, about this vendor?

I just got into DIY solar and I opted to go with WindyNation premade cables since they're so highly recommended. Would hate to hear it's them. I'm spending a little extra to try to avoid burning everything down due to the epidemic of false advertising from online marketplaces.

No but the same OP is also "frustrated" with victron 12/24 volt charge controllers because they won't charge his 18 volt battery at the same rate as a 24 volt so there is that.

I'm going to guess this issue with the wire gauge is another mistake on his part.

Mistakes happen, too. If so, NOT cool, but perhaps a rare occurrence. Seller should make this right, in any case.

Mistakes happen, too. If so, NOT cool, but perhaps a rare occurrence. Seller should make this right, in any case.

More importantly, if the OP made a mistake he should come on here and admit it as well. The vendor said it wasn't their wire so I'm guessing the OP bought from a 3rd party seller and thinks he purchased the name brand stuff.

All speculation though since it looks like he's gone AWOL.

Are you sure it’s not copper clad aluminum wire? There’s a lot of that floating around on the internet and it will suffer from less than expected performance.

As an aside note.

A POSSIBLE good supplier of heavier gauge wire for battery cables is your local welding store. AirGas, Central etc. They by far have had the cheapest cable. Cheaper than Amazon.

It's all black but Red and Black heat shrink on your terminations solves that issue. ?

As an aside note.

A POSSIBLE good supplier of heavier gauge wire for battery cables is your local welding store. AirGas, Central etc. They by far have had the cheapest cable. Cheaper than Amazon.

It's all black but Red and Black heat shrink on your terminations solves that issue. ?
And it will be American made.
Yellow wire is from Greg's Marine, black is a local welding supplier.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112-174312.jpg
    Screenshot_20231112-174312.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 24
Amazon carries a wire gauge tool which is basically gauge sized slots you fit over the wire.

Keep in mind that copper gauge wire will be smaller than aluminum.

Aluminium has a significantly higher specific electrical resistivity than copper. This difference is highly relevant for power cables. Aluminium conductor requires 56% larger cross-sectional area than copper for same current carrying capability.

Harder to find copper wires these days.
Copper is not hard to find. It was for a bit, but the price has come down quite a bit.

I hope you meant to articulate that for the same load you have to use a higher gauge with aluminum vs copper wire. The gauge itself is the same. Avoid aluminium wire when possible. It has thermals that make it loosen connections unless you have connectors rated for it.

And it will be American made.
Yellow wire is from Greg's Marine, black is a local welding supplier.
Yellow is festive! Welding wire is usually the fine strands, easier to bend, I sourced all my 4/0 welding stuff on Amazon, for battery feed cables. I only wanted 20ft of each, There is an outfit on amazon that will put the ends on for you of whatever size on either end and ship you a finished cable, for a pretty reasonable price, but I crimped my own. The price of 12/2 romex at the local HomeDepot/Lowes is about half what it was a year ago for 250ft, but now it's all locked up. THHN there has also dropped dramatically and they actually have it now in spools of various colors for 4-18awg. YMMV. Hit or miss on the fatter THHN. Wire is heavy shipping can get you. For DIY of course it's irrelevant, but I think you are not supposed to band anything but black and it's supposed to be over #6 or something like that for any wiring that get's inspected. @timselectric probably knows the rules better than everyone else. I have no idea how any of that plays into DC wiring, I know I had a red-banded #2 white feed wire I replaced with red #2 just for sanity reasons, but I think I read it as a no-no in some code book somewhere. I still have a couple of red/white banded black #2 from early in the project. Red electrical tape is easier than heat shrink, and not as fat, but if you are crimping and sleeving it anyway might as well color code it then.

On the ferrule front, I think they work OK with smaller gauge, but with #2 it doesn't seem to do all that much. I used to wick solder the ends, that always seemed to hold up really well.

The big annoyance with Home Depot locking up the wire is they have to walk the wire you buy up the the register.
Annoying if you have a lot on your shopping list,

The big annoyance with Home Depot locking up the wire is they have to walk the wire you buy up the the register.
Annoying if you have a lot on your shopping list,

Rotten apples spoil the barrel. They were losing their ass on theft.

I've had a mixed bag on pricing when getting stuff from electrical supply houses. Sometimes they are half of HD and sometimes 30% more. I dunno.

Back