diy solar

diy solar

Back up generator Solark 12k

Rojillio

I'm looking for 5,000 to 10,000 watt generator with 2 wire remote start capability. The inverter will autostart generator when batteries get low if the generator has 2 wire remote start capability. All I've found for remote start are generators that start via wireless fob.

you might find this of interest. found via the search button

It also sounds like your looking at box store generators which do not have to duty cycle to function for long term off grid back up power solutions. Any normal stationary genset will be able to be configured with an autostart.

A "whole house" stationary generator seems like overkill for my situation. My consumption is 8 to 10 Kwh per day. I have four 3.8Kwh Simpliphi LiPO batteries, may add 2 more. The generator would only be required to charge batteries on heavily overcast winter days when the 9kw PV array isn't putting out. Normal PV charging draws 4 to 5kw.

I'm looking for 5,000 to 10,000 watt generator with 2 wire remote start capability.

A "whole house" stationary generator seems like overkill for my situation. My consumption is 8 to 10 Kwh per day.

A 10,000W generator so you can recharge batteries in one hour?
How about 1 kW or 2kW generator?

Gas goes bad after a while. Diesel lasts longer (but would be a larger, more expensive generator meant for continuous use.)
Propane lasts forever. Natural gas if piped to your house is cheap and doesn't require refill.

Maybe a Honda portable generator, just pull the rope in the morning and let it run half a day or so?
Used RV propane generator?

I now have a 3.3kw Generac, but have trouble connecting to Sol-ark. Sol-ark has concluded its probably too small. I suspect the problem is frequency stability or THD. I did get it to charge batteries once. Sol-ark suggests 5 to 10 kw

Some inverter/chargers, especially utility interactive ones, require incoming AC to be within grid specs.
Sunny Island has different voltage/frequency range for generator vs. grid.
It can also be programmed to limit current draw from AC to whatever you want, e.g. 56A max, 10A, etc. so small generator should be OK.
See if you can just open up specs, maybe reduce draw.

Can you just have the Generac power a battery charger? As little as 1kW should meet your needs, but try to use Generac at its most efficient loading.

Other hacks could include rectifying Generac output (perhaps after boosting to a higher voltage if needed, and transformer-isolating from ground), and feeding DC rail of Sol-Ark (e.g. treating rectified generator output as if it was a PV source.) You are on your own doing that! could cause damage.

Feeding Generac into a GT PV inverter, AC coupled to Sol-Ark. There are wind and solar inverters; this would be similar.

I now have a 3.3kw Generac, but have trouble connecting to Sol-ark. Sol-ark has concluded its probably too small. I suspect the problem is frequency stability or THD. I did get it to charge batteries once. Sol-ark suggests 5 to 10 kw
Sol-Ark does recommend 4KW 240V Generators or larger for the system. You can adjust the Frequency and the SOC point at which the generator will turn on. I think you also need CT's for the generator.

Some inverter/chargers, especially utility interactive ones, require incoming AC to be within grid specs.
Sunny Island has different voltage/frequency range for generator vs. grid.
It can also be programmed to limit current draw from AC to whatever you want, e.g. 56A max, 10A, etc. so small generator should be OK.
See if you can just open up specs, maybe reduce draw.

Can you just have the Generac power a battery charger? As little as 1kW should meet your needs, but try to use Generac at its most efficient loading.

Other hacks could include rectifying Generac output (perhaps after boosting to a higher voltage if needed, and transformer-isolating from ground), and feeding DC rail of Sol-Ark (e.g. treating rectified generator output as if it was a PV source.) You are on your own doing that! could cause damage.

Feeding Generac into a GT PV inverter, AC coupled to Sol-Ark. There are wind and solar inverters; this would be similar.
The Sol-Ark does a very nice job of integrating everything other than my small generator. I really don't want to add any more complexity such as an additional battery charger. I'm actually somewhat relieved that the little Generac doesn't work, as it gives me an excuse to upgrade to an gen with electric start. I really like the idea of the Solark starting the generator when the batteries get low. The Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start looks nice. It would probably be easy to remove the onboard start switch at replace it with wires to the inverter, though that may invalidate the warranty. I'm looking for a generator with built in connector for 2 wire remote start.

Generac Ecogen 15KW Model #7163. Add two wires with correct terminals to existing connector housings. Run back too correct solark terminals. Two wire start works like a champ.​

The Sol-Ark does a very nice job of integrating everything other than my small generator. I really don't want to add any more complexity such as an additional battery charger. I'm actually somewhat relieved that the little Generac doesn't work, as it gives me an excuse to upgrade to an gen with electric start. I really like the idea of the Solark starting the generator when the batteries get low. The Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start looks nice. It would probably be easy to remove the onboard start switch at replace it with wires to the inverter, though that may invalidate the warranty. I'm looking for a generator with built in connector for 2 wire remote start.
Rojillio, Were you able to try/test one that worked for you?

Edit: By the way, in case it helps you, I wanted to let you know we are discussing a very similar topic / use-case in this thread:

Last edited:
Back