diy solar

diy solar

Need your advice on best dual fuel generator for 12K Sol-Ark

Javalord1

Hello from Idaho! My generator has too much hertz distortion. I'd like to find a dual fuel generator for under $1,000.
Also has to have a 240 outlet.

Many thanks, Jerome

I have a Champion dual fuel. It's my experience that the Champion brand inverter generators have very little harmonic distortion. You'll probably need a much larger generator than I have, but Champion is definitely worth looking into. Plus, you can get warranty and parts at Tractor Supply.

I have a Champion dual fuel. It's my experience that the Champion brand inverter generators have very little harmonic distortion. You'll probably need a much larger generator than I have, but Champion is definitely worth looking into. Plus, you can get warranty and parts at Tractor Supply.
Thanks for that! I'll check them out today. Jerome

@Javalord1 Please let us know if you get an inexpensive one working. I would like to get a cost effective propane one to send power to SolArk 12K to recharge the batteries.

Best case would be to support the wires for auto-start and what not but worst case I would not mind doing it manually in emergencies.

Last edited:
@Javalord1 Please let us know if you get an inexpensive one working. I would like to get a cost effective propane one to send power to SolArk 12K to recharge the batteries.

Best case would be to support the wires for auto-start and what not but worst case I would not mind doing it manually in emergencies.
will do. i'm surprised Sol-Ark doesn't have a list of recommended specs for a back up generator.

will do. i'm surprised Sol-Ark doesn't have a list of recommended specs for a back up generator.
Yeah I haven't had much luck finding anything on their site. They should list clear specs and have a list of generators that have worked well in the past for others...

From this thread it sounds like the minimum specs are 4KW at 240V though recommended may be 5KW to 10 KW:

In that thread the one gent was looking at trying the "The Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start" but never reported back (I updated that thread to see if he did indeed try it). If that works it could be bought for ~$980:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westing...tch-Outlet-for-Home-Backup-WGen7500/301466616

Engineer775 (Scott Hunt) seems to specialize in Sol-Arks and sells generators on his site and the cheapest one listed on his site that seems to meet the specs is this 8.5KW one for ~$2,770 (note that I am not sure that he recommends this for the Sol-Ark):

That is much more than I would like to pay... If the Westinghouse gens are good the one that meets the 4K minimum is the ~$630 WGen5300DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator w/Remote Start, RV and Transfer Switch Outlet for Home Backup with 6600/5900 Peak Watts and 5300/4800 Rated Watts (Gas/Propane):

I don't have a Sol-Ark yet to test with so would love to hear of an inexpensive solution that is working well for others...

EDIT: Saw this thread that discusses auto-start of generators including some options for Westinghouse gens (in case they work well with SolArk).

Last edited:
Hello from Idaho! My generator has too much hertz distortion. I'd like to find a dual fuel generator for under $1,000.
Also has to have a 240 outlet.

Many thanks, Jerome
The requirement for 240 volts blew that $1000 limit out of the park. I've been looking for a duel fuel inverter with 240 volts for 3 weeks now and this is what I keep coming back to.... https://www.duromaxpower.com/products/xp9000ih $2600

If you are going to spend $2,600 for a 9KW portable generator it may make more sense to spend $170 more ($2,770) for the Champion 8.5-KW Home Standby Generator which is designed to be integrated for standby use and already has an enclosure and what not...

If you are going to spend $2,600 for a 9KW portable generator it may make more sense to spend $170 more ($2,770) for the Champion 8.5-KW Home Standby Generator which is designed to be integrated for standby use and already has an enclosure and what not...
Good call! Like I said I've been searching for a few weeks and never came across this model. Looks like if you shop around you might even get it cheaper?

Good call! Like I said I've been searching for a few weeks and never came across this model. Looks like if you shop around you might even get it cheaper?
Quite possibly. I only was aware of it because I subscribe to Engineer775's youtube channel and noticed he listed it on his website (www.PracticalPreppers.com) and did not go looking for lower prices elsewhere... Note that I have only seen him offer/install SolArks so when I saw that he also listed the Champion standby generator I made the assumption that it does work well with Sol-Arks... That means it is my assumption that they will work well together and note that anytime someone ASSUMEs something there is a chance it could make an ASS outta U & ME... ;-) It may be worth asking Engineer775 if that particular model has worked successfully for any of his SolArk 12K installs...

Quite possibly. I only was aware of it because I subscribe to Engineer775's youtube channel and noticed he listed it on his website (www.PracticalPreppers.com) and did not go looking for lower prices elsewhere... Note that I have only seen him offer/install SolArks so when I saw that he also listed the Champion standby generator I made the assumption that it does work well with Sol-Arks... That means it is my assumption that they will work well together and note that anytime someone ASSUMEs something there is a chance it could make an ASS outta U & ME... ;-) It may be worth asking Engineer775 if that particular model has worked successfully for any of his SolArk 12K installs...
Well what I was looking for is an inverter/gen with <5%THD so I could fool my Enphase grid-tied system into thinking they were seeing grid power and this looks like it fits the bill. The DuroMax is rated at <3% THD and the Enphase IQ7 micro inverters I have need <5%THD.
Having said that, the Duromax is probably more what I will need as a portable it has several 120volt outlets as well as the 30amp 240 volt plug and I can hook my 100lb. propane bottle to it. The Champion has just the main 35amp 240 volt breaker and I'm pretty sure it's set up to be permanently hooked up to propane or natural gas and won't burn gasoline.

Well what I was looking for is an inverter/gen with <5%THD so I could fool my Enphase grid-tied system into thinking they were seeing grid power and this looks like it fits the bill. The DuroMax is rated at <3% THD and the Enphase IQ7 micro inverters I have need <5%THD.
Having said that, the Duromax is probably more what I will need as a portable it has several 120volt outlets as well as the 30amp 240 volt plug and I can hook my 100lb. propane bottle to it. The Champion has just the main 35amp 240 volt breaker and I'm pretty sure it's set up to be permanently hooked up to propane or natural gas and won't burn gasoline.
Good points. If the Duromax can be integrated to be auto-started from the SolArk it could hopefully be great for that also.

Still a lot to learn... It sounds like "The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300DFc makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices" according to this source:

Sounds like the WGen7500 series is out also (source):

Still a lot to learn... It sounds like "The quite high THD (<23%) of the WGen5300DFc makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices" according to this source:
That's the difference between an inverter/generator and a generator. An inverter/gen that puts out 120vac only is fairly common and choices are many. To get an inverter/gen that puts out 240vac seems to narrow options down to just a couple. Honda has one that I know of but it's a lot more money. For some reason the "duel fuel" requirement is where choices narrow.

That's the difference between an inverter/generator and a generator. An inverter/gen that puts out 120vac only is fairly common and choices are many. To get an inverter/gen that puts out 240vac seems to narrow options down to just a couple. Honda has one that I know of but it's a lot more money. For some reason the "duel fuel" requirement is where choices narrow.
Yeah my head is somewhat swimming trying to learn all this info...

Running a search against the www.GeneratorBible.com website for 240V, Low THD (<5%) and dual-fuel with a minimum output of 4KW Running Watts only results in 3 options (lowest cost being ~$1,500 or ~$1,200 on sale):

If you are willing to drop the dual-fuel requirement (which I am not as I only want to mess with gasoline in a true emergency) then there are many more options (approximately 31 options as low as ~$752):

Note that while all the above say they have <= 5%THD many of the above are not listed as inverter models so if you add an inverter as a criteria you drop down to 17 models (lowest cost still ~$752):

Running a search against the www.GeneratorBible.com website for 240V, Low THD (<5%) and dual-fuel with a minimum output of 4KW Running Watts only results in 3 options (lowest cost being ~$1,500 or ~$1,200 on sale):
I looked at the lower cost option and was initially tempted to jump the DuroMax ship until I realized it's a manual start only and I'm old and broke down, plus it makes me kind of nervous to see a 50amp RV outlet on a machine that is rated at 7000 watts (just under 30amps@240) and I don't see the breaker/fuse for it. I see it's out of stock at Amazon so I'm also questioning current availability?

I looked at the lower cost option and was initially tempted to jump the DuroMax ship until I realized it's a manual start only and I'm old and broke down, plus it makes me kind of nervous to see a 50amp RV outlet on a machine that is rated at 7000 watts (just under 30amps@240) and I don't see the breaker/fuse for it. I see it's out of stock at Amazon so I'm also questioning current availability?
If I understand correctly the Sportsman GEN85KIDF can do electrical start:

One of the reviewers got his from Home Depot on sale for $1049 & then added an electrical start battery (he said paid $70 for the battery but maybe is is available for cheaper elsewhere) & added 4 wheels & a handle for ~$62 resulting in:

Edit: I re-read his review & sounds like the electrical wires to electrically start the generator came with the generator & the $70 was for a USB re-chargable battery that he used with the wires (I think you can see it in the picture above)... Note that if the battery is USB rechargeable you may be able to have a USB cable run from the control panel of the GEN85KIDF to recharge the battery when the generator is running (there is a USB port on the generator)...

You can read his full review at the bottom of the Home Depot listing:

For my use case & the use case for the original poster of this thread (sending power to Sol-Ark 12K to recharge batteries) the minimum specs I can find is 4KW and recommended is 5KW-10KW so 7.5KW (or 6.3KW on propane) should be sufficient for me.

If it were me, assuming Home Depot would allow returns in a reasonable window, I would get my SolArk 12K system fully functioning and have wiring ready and then buy this when it on sale (and when I have ample time for focused testing) and try it (and if it doesn't work return it).

Last edited:
Edit: I re-read his review & sounds like the electrical wires to electrically start the generator came with the generator & the $70 was for a USB re-chargable battery that he used with the wires (I think you can see it in the picture above)... Note that if the battery is USB rechargeable you may be able to have a USB cable run from the control panel of the GEN85KIDF to recharge the battery when the generator is running (there is a USB port on the generator)...

You can read his full review at the bottom of the Home Depot listing:
Uh yeah, no. You've convinced me to avoid this unit at every opportunity. This has nothing to do with starting the inverter/gen. The reviews on this are mostly horrible and I've seen enough. I always ignore 5star reviews. Usually they come from paid actors. Read the 1 star reviews, they are Legion.

Back