diy solar

diy solar

Gen Auto Start questions

BB-Bargins

Hi guys i have a few questions to better understand how auto start works between my Outback CC and Inverter and the Generator or and invertor

1st we dont have a Generator but found a few with electric but no Autostart system. I have found a few auto start add-on boxes on the web but no real indication as to how this really work.

So what signal does the inverter actually send to the gennie . Just a start pulse ? So inverter reads IE 24.5 volts and sends start signal. Or does the auto gen start box need the voltage.... Anyone know anything about this . ? Bryon

They are two wire dry contact. When the wires make contact in the relay, the generator ignition and start sequence is initiated, start. Low voltage 12V, low current circuit. When open the generator will stop.

That is the protocol or switching, the logic control in the mate has ags settings...... alot of settings.

Shop for an electric start automatic choke generator with "two wire start" about as large as the onverter in watts at least. Can be smaller too. Walmart or costco had one similar to a predator 3500. Inverter generator, autostart capable 3500w 800$ quiet. Its blue, cant remember brand.

If you find a generator with 3 wire or other start stop control configuration you can use an atkinson electronics module to accomplish.

You need to be careful as the cc puts out 12vdc you will need to run this to a relay that the converts it to dry contact for the 2 wire start, most all 2 wire starts are a short to ground signal

That generator though nice is only 120 VAC....usually need a 240 VAC when hooking up to a house transfer switch. RV's can go either way as far as I know most of the time.

I am very interested in this generator as a addition to my LV5048 Off-Grid setup for cloudy day charging. From what I see in the manual this generator features remote start, BUT it is from a remote control, not a wired setup. What do I need and how do I set it up to make this work with an LV5048

Hi guys i have a few questions to better understand how auto start works between my Outback CC and Inverter and the Generator or and invertor

1st we dont have a Generator but found a few with electric but no Autostart system. I have found a few auto start add-on boxes on the web but no real indication as to how this really work.

So what signal does the inverter actually send to the gennie . Just a start pulse ? So inverter reads IE 24.5 volts and sends start signal. Or does the auto gen start box need the voltage.... Anyone know anything about this . ? Bryon

It depends what outback inverter you have, if its the radian you connect the Aux dry contact two wire to the two wire connection of your auto start generator, I use kohler and you land them on terminal 3/4 its super easy.

If you use the FXR you will use the 12 vdc aux to control a relay that passes the two wire signal through to the ports 3/4.

The object is basically to short the 3/4 terminals together, it cannot accept any voltage, its as easy as hooking a light switch to it to start and stop it but I would recommend using the mate3 when running a charging cycle so you can drop the generators ac input before turning it off so it shuts down not connected to the inverter.

Inverter is MPP LV5048 with....
1595456974230.png

My question is how do I make this work with the generator which only has a "wireless remote control" start (no wired start)?

if it is wireless, there is a remote control, so you just wire the remote control to the dry contact.
the easiest way is to solder 2 wires over the start button.

if it is wireless, there is a remote control, so you just wire the remote control to the dry contact.
the easiest way is to solder 2 wires over the start button.
I thought about this BUT how do you get it to stop? not only that but the inverter would end up holding the start button down indefinitely

Interested in the same thing here. I have a Westinghouse wGen12000DF dual fuel generator, it does have a remote control fob. I want to figure out a way to auto start it by my Sol-ark 12k.

Hi.
The easiest way is to install an automatic start controller.
We have such products available at www.dcautogen.com
Here is a video showing the installation process for your reference.
Seems a bit overkill for what I need. Sol-ark supports two wire generator start and can be programmed, so all I need is just simulate a button push when circuit is open and another button push when circuit is closed.

I have converted a couple of generators to work with Outback Radians using the Atkinson Gen start modules. Champion 100297, and a Westinghouse 9600, both 240v split phase. Great documentation. I'll scan in the diagram tomorrow. Have to solder 4 wires to the remote, but works flawlessly. Do have to change the Radian from "relay" in the Mate 3S AGS to "Output" when using the mini-p

Attachments

• Abner_just_checking_stop_connections_westinghouse.jpg
    Abner_just_checking_stop_connections_westinghouse.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20211121_195056697.jpg
    PXL_20211121_195056697.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20211121_195126882.jpg
    PXL_20211121_195126882.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Westinghouse_9600DF_fob_and_hardwire_000002.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
My first thought on the Westinghouse generator I just got was to use the Start Switch Ready outlet. Does anyone have documentation on the pinouts?

I have converted a couple of generators to work with Outback Radians using the Atkinson Gen start modules. Champion 100297, and a Westinghouse 9600, both 240v split phase. Great documentation. I'll scan in the diagram tomorrow. Have to solder 4 wires to the remote, but works flawlessly. Do have to change the Radian from "relay" in the Mate 3S AGS to "Output" when using the mini-p
Hi

i have a champion 100297 model and i use it for backup and i am super interested on how you put automatic start on it, if you do not mind share with me.

Thanks
Vince

Back