diy solar

diy solar

Balancing multiple lifepo4 batteries

TheOffGridGamer

I have 8 lifepo4 batteries at 12.8v 100amps. How long should they be wired in parallel before charging them with a dedicated charger?

I have 8 lifepo4 batteries at 12.8v 100amps. How long should they be wired in parallel before charging them with a dedicated charger?
There’s no reason to let them sit wired in parallel, just start charging.
You should check that the voltages are close though before wiring in parallel, otherwise you could have a lot of current flowing between batteries.

Here is the catch. I only have a 48v charger. I'm trying to get the batteries as clos as I can before I wire them up in 48v sections. Then I can use the 48v charger to top them off

Here is the catch. I only have a 48v charger. I'm trying to get the batteries as clos as I can before I wire them up in 48v sections. Then I can use the 48v charger to top them off
Ah, I see. Wiring them together in parallel won’t help you. Having them at the same voltage tells you nothing about SoC (edit: unless voltage is above 13.6V), and that’s what you need to get equal.
I don’t have a suggestion for how to balance those batteries with only a 48V charger. You might need to pick up a 12V charger.

if your charger has a voltage adjustment you may have to lower the top voltage and slowly over time increase the voltage as the batteries balance out

Let them sit like that overnight. as others have said it will equalize the voltage but thats it. once you wire them in series make sure to check that all cells are similar in voltage and make sure one does not run away and get too high. Thing is it will happen fast once they reach the top end. I would check every hour or so until you get close to the top then every 15 minutes or less if you do not have a BMS

Wiring 4-12v batteries in series and charging with a basic 48v charge, is asking for trouble...unless your 48v is designed with 4-12v balancing leads.

You need to charge in parallel to 14.4v. Hold that voltage for for a few hours to give the BMS inside each battery time to balance the cells inside the battery.

If they are not the same voltage, then charge individually to some voltage before putting in parallel.

Basically it is the same process as balancing individual 3v cells, but yours are in groups of 4.

Just to clarify, what is the voltage output of the 48v charger?

Last edited:
Back