diy solar

diy solar

Batrium-experiences...

Super random. sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it freezes every couple of minutes with a variable duration.
I hope the Batrium guy don't mind, but this is what they suggested:

"We recommend following the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Recheck the screws of the shunt cable to make sure they are intact and there are no loose connections.
2. Reposition where the cabling is behind the power cable (ideally move the bundle somewhere else, preferably 90 degrees and see if this solves it).
3. Do you have it connected via WiFi? We noticed from the manual extract report that the signal strength was below 50%. Maybe the device is struggling and it needs to reconnect to WiFi, this is locking up the system. To fix this, potentially disconnect the device, have it forget your WiFi router and see if it then runs for a full day without any issues."

Apparently, I'm back to the basics, suspended the CAN communication with the inverter and run it on "other battery" mode. It is absolutely does what I want, but I could do with a $200 BMS as opposed to a "You know how much was this...".

1. Recheck the screws of the shunt cable to make sure they are intact and there are no loose connections.
2. Reposition where the cabling is behind the power cable (ideally move the bundle somewhere else, preferably 90 degrees and see if this solves it).
3. Do you have it connected via WiFi? We noticed from the manual extract report that the signal strength was below 50%. Maybe the device is struggling and it needs to reconnect to WiFi, this is locking up the system. To fix this, potentially disconnect the device, have it forget your WiFi router and see if it then runs for a full day without any issues."
I checked all the connections several times (shunt and the Cellmons). They are ok. They didn't affect the problem. The only power cables around the communication cables and the Cellmons are the battery cables (35 mm). The problem occurs no matter what the load is and therefore I don't think it's a result of interference. My wifi signal is 54%. I could at first move the access point closer to it and then, try having it forget the Wifi connection. I'll give it a try today.

It's a bit late for me to move the AP, but I've done the WiFi reconfiguration earlier... (50% should be plenty for this amount of data...)

It's a bit late for me to move the AP, but I've done the WiFi reconfiguration earlier... (50% should be plenty for this amount of data...)
Just to rule out this possibility, I moved away the access point so that the signal is around 30% hoping that the problem should appear more frequently. I will wait for a couple of hours then move it closed to the Watchmon. I'm a bit worried that the problem could be a hardware design issue that cannot be resolved by software.

What a surprise... Sorry, I shouldn't be sarcastic, but I'm in the same boat. I guess you also tried to get different power sources (from the battery, from AC to DC) as well. I did. No difference. I re done all the cabling which came with the kit, and re routed them several times. Everything is short as possible. Factory reset and so on. The theory about faulty unit is more and more valid.

Before I added an extender both would drop wifi constantly but never caused any issues. I have sent two emails in the past couple of weeks to batrium about an update but no replies.

Before I added an extender both would drop wifi constantly but never caused any issues. I have sent two emails in the past couple of weeks to batrium about an update but no replies.
I wouldn't mind if the monitoring would stop, but it stops communicate with the inverter via CAN. And that makes it sort of useless for me. Balancing the cells is not quite an issue even with a cheap BMS ( I have a JBD, tested, does the job). I've still have correspondence from Batrium, so I can't complain, but the problem isn't solved yet.

I wouldn't mind if the monitoring would stop, but it stops communicate with the inverter via CAN. And that makes it sort of useless for me. Balancing the cells is not quite an issue even with a cheap BMS ( I have a JBD, tested, does the job). I've still have correspondence from Batrium, so I can't complain, but the problem isn't solved yet.
In my last reply for an updated I asked if the delay is to the core then I would be fine with swapping to 4 if they had them. They also did not send back my defective 1000amp shunt, which I did ask for that to be returned.

Hmm.. I guess your experience will help me determine whether I want a replacement or a refund in case I decide about the return.

Hmm.. I guess your experience will help me determine whether I want a replacement or a refund in case I decide about the return.
They just responded at 1:27 est my time and I was disappointed. I received a defective product and had to pay the return shipping and now they want me to pay to ship it back. They also double charged me to send items in the same box, and have not responded to where my 1000amp shunt is also. Additionally they did not just find it as they sent me pictures of my rma almost 3 months ago.

"Apologies for the delay. We have found your RMA box and as requested, we can arrange for it to be shipped but please expect to pay DHL shipping fees of about AUD$80.

We can generate a shipping invoice for you to check out and once paid, we can then have this sent to you.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Cheers,
Renzee
info@batrium.com
Batrium Support Team"

It is ridiculous. Apparently these guys not really good in costumer care.... Neither programming... they should start to do something different. Would be nice to admit. I guess time to archive this thread... With a warning:
AVOID BATRIUM!!- Just like other form of gambling.

PS: This is based on personal experience, some Batrium costumer have different opinion. But you know what Harry Callahan said about opinion...

I'm dreading any support issues. So far my WM5 is humming along nicely with only the occasional voltage sensing spaz-out. They claim that this is common and a consequence of their balancing algorithm (even though balancing is never active when this happens). They claim they have a firmware update to patch it in the CORE and will eventually push the fix back to the WM5.

I have a MM8 to install when the other half of the battery is complete. I'm nervous about that one.

I have a 3 1/2 year old Watchmon 4 w/112 longmons - e.g. a pretty long (~60ft) longmon network. And a 1.5yr old Watchmon Core w/14 longmons in a camper trailer.

In the begining, I used some random wire and twisted it myself to reach the 1st longmon and last longmon... and I had occasional freezing. Had to manually reboot. I eventually replaced it with CAT-6 twisted pair wire stripped from CAT-6 internet wire AND skipped their 24"? thing to help you connect and went directly to Batrium terminal block and all my issues went away.

The symptom of monitor freezing / restarting reminds me of this. I think I read 7 x leafmons... but maybe use CAT-6 twisted pair wire directly from 1st leafmon and last leafmon -> Batrium? Just dragging the bottom of the barrel here....

Here's a pic to try to illustrate what I'm talking about. Did the same thing (but shorter) in the trailer 14s. No problems with network/monitoring since doing this.
1664916010083.png

The reason they say don't run USB is that USB voltage is on the low side of voltage or power needed to sustain the core. It has worked for me for extended periods, but it's just what they say - especially if you have external services hooked in the core.

-----------------
Have gotten some valuable tech support in early years (free) but the last round (couple of months ago) was annoying. It was a simple question on their toolkit software update dialog unrelated to my hardware... but they refused to answer unless I sent logs/complete-specs of my system. After 3 back/forth they lectured me on being a bad customer for refusing my details BUT.... they actually answered the question. Just weird.

I can't help it though, the product has really worked for my situation personally.

Last edited:
It is ridiculous. Apparently these guys not really good in costumer care.... Neither programming... they should start to do something different. Would be nice to admit. I guess time to archive this thread... With a warning:
AVOID BATRIUM!!- Just like other form of gambling.

PS: This is based on personal experience, some Batrium costumer have different opinion. But you know what Harry Callahan said about opinion...
I'm not sure what is going on with them, why did they not ship all the orders together. Why it has taken so long, but I have been patient although frustrated. My watchmon 4's have been great but the core was doa on arrival. I will update the response from them as I asked why I have to pay shipping 5 times for 2 orders.

Back