diy solar

diy solar

Batrium-experiences...

Good point there, I have one twisted pair to extended on the right hand side. The two end of the circuit is directly connected to the IsoMon. Pretty simple system (compare to yours).20220817_123959 (1).jpg

I have installed an access point to the same room where my battery (WM CORE) to see how much it will improve.
20221005_173026.jpg

Also I changed the battery setting on the inverter (CAN bus comm) to see if/when it "locks up". It was good for a massive 30 minutes.

I have a 3 1/2 year old Watchmon 4 w/112 longmons - e.g. a pretty long (~60ft) longmon network. And a 1.5yr old Watchmon Core w/14 longmons in a camper trailer.

In the begining, I used some random wire and twisted it myself to reach the 1st longmon and last longmon... and I had occasional freezing. Had to manually reboot. I eventually replaced it with CAT-6 twisted pair wire stripped from CAT-6 internet wire AND skipped their 24"? thing to help you connect and went directly to Batrium terminal block and all my issues went away.

The symptom of monitor freezing / restarting reminds me of this. I think I read 7 x leafmons... but maybe use CAT-6 twisted pair wire directly from 1st leafmon and last leafmon -> Batrium? Just dragging the bottom of the barrel here....

Here's a pic to try to illustrate what I'm talking about. Did the same thing (but shorter) in the trailer 14s. No problems with network/monitoring since doing this.
View attachment 114956

The reason they say don't run USB is that USB voltage is on the low side of voltage or power needed to sustain the core. It has worked for me for extended periods, but it's just what they say - especially if you have external services hooked in the core.

-----------------
Have gotten some valuable tech support in early years (free) but the last round (couple of months ago) was annoying. It was a simple question on their toolkit software update dialog unrelated to my hardware... but they refused to answer unless I sent logs/complete-specs of my system. After 3 back/forth they lectured me on being a bad customer for refusing my details BUT.... they actually answered the question. Just weird.

I can't help it though, the product has really worked for my situation personally.
OK Due to the fact, I have re-done the extension cable a couple of times, and even I tried to move it while the system was running to eliminate cold joints, I was pretty sceptic to try to move the two Leaf mons on the left hand side, closer to each other to get rid of the extended cable. But I've done it. So far it is running seamlessly (third day started) even I have removed the access point from the room.
To be clear, the extended cable is 100%, joins are fine, I used identical cable as the original...
I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks OffgidInTheCity for remind me, "whatever I've done, it could be bad, even if it looks good". (I can't remember who said that, me perhaps)

Attachments

• 20221009_134913.jpg
    20221009_134913.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 9
Just another gripe. My issue seems to be worsening.

1665339537392.png

These voltage spikes always happen on #14. I've quadruple checked the terminal block. I'm using BMS sensing leads and premium ring terminals that were extracted from the same PHEV as the NMC cells.

Normally, my autolevel is set to .08V to hit only the top .01V, and that minimizes this - hitting it with a balance current seems to drop it.

This time, on the way down, it was below my SoC threshold, so I've dropped that as well.

This is also getting worse. 0.2V jump vs. 0.1V prior.

They claim it's related to their balancing algorithm, and they plan to eventually patch it, but I'm dubious.

Even showed up in the 5 minute snapshot:

1665340001145.png

My support experience continues to decline quickly and I have now started forwarding messages from Maxine to prove it was not functioning on arrival.

OK Due to the fact, I have re-done the extension cable a couple of times, and even I tried to move it while the system was running to eliminate cold joints, I was pretty sceptic to try to move the two Leaf mons on the left hand side, closer to each other to get rid of the extended cable. But I've done it. So far it is running seamlessly (third day started) even I have removed the access point from the room.
To be clear, the extended cable is 100%, joins are fine, I used identical cable as the original...
I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks OffgidInTheCity for remind me, "whatever I've done, it could be bad, even if it looks good". (I can't remember who said that, me perhaps)
You know... it reminds me that early this year I had a mon network freeze and it seemed like wiggling the plug-in cable on 1 particular longmon seemed to help ??!??. That longmon also seem to be a bit more extreme thru the charge/discharge voltage readings during a daily cycle.

Later in the year - May 9th - I moved that 14s battery over a few feet and I had to pop all the plug-in connectors and re-connect them. It also moved that longmon from being #5 to number #103. Since then the network/monitoring/voltage readings have been excellent - but it's the same longmon.

However, I think @sunshing_eggo has K9? and has this 'spike' reported above.

I don't have any logical/consistent explanation for these occurrences, just the anecdotal experience that unplug/re-plugging mon network cables (or wiggling them at the connector) seems to affect things a bit - sometimes in a positive way. I do wonder if this is why they were pushing K9 so much - to move away from the mon network approach.

Last edited:
I was too quick to be happy... "Lock ups" are still present. Still no solution yet...

I was too quick to be happy... "Lock ups" are still present. Still no solution yet...
Batrium has not responded after I refuted their claims I was at fault. I told them it never worked and forwarded emails and data pulled from the core where I worked with Maxine. Maxine was always great to work with but the new person not so much.

Just another gripe. My issue seems to be worsening.

View attachment 115675

These voltage spikes always happen on #14. I've quadruple checked the terminal block. I'm using BMS sensing leads and premium ring terminals that were extracted from the same PHEV as the NMC cells.

Normally, my autolevel is set to .08V to hit only the top .01V, and that minimizes this - hitting it with a balance current seems to drop it.

This time, on the way down, it was below my SoC threshold, so I've dropped that as well.

This is also getting worse. 0.2V jump vs. 0.1V prior.

They claim it's related to their balancing algorithm, and they plan to eventually patch it, but I'm dubious.

Even showed up in the 5 minute snapshot:

View attachment 115676
It's must be annoying, but is this phenomena isn't stops your entire system I presume. Also to be very honest, I never noticed the precision of auto levelling is adjustable. My cells always within 0.02V, unless I discharge it down to 3.5V ish. In that range it goes off by 0.12-0.15V. I guess because of the top balancing. I did not notice any spikes as it wasn't my concern. It still shows the entire "firmware business" is probably out of there league... I'm back to "other battery" option to avoid inconvenience. Leaf batteries are so robust I don't think it would hurt...

Batrium has not responded after I refuted their claims I was at fault. I told them it never worked and forwarded emails and data pulled from the core where I worked with Maxine. Maxine was always great to work with but the new person not so much.
Apparently they went pretty "cold" in communication when I mentioned I would expect more result, and had a few short sentence regarding how I can return the package I bought... Obviously based on your experience, I will not force the replacement...
Funny thing is, I understand their difficulties to sort out firmware issues, I guess they dealing with a Chinese manufacturer, who possibly use Google translate to communicate in case of they want to sort out problems. My son did this for the living, and he was soo frustrated. So that is one thing. Dealing with customers without respect when they need it most (like in your case, for example) that is something I hardly can tolerate. Loosing a couple of bucs on shipping (return your replacement, for example) is pretty much something what the horrendous purchase price could cover and it would show their good manner. Unless they need to do it every single time, but I doubt that. Many happy Batrium owner around... I suppose

I've had Batrium for about 4 years now. Early on, they did respond to 2 different issues - with good help. But even early on, there had an upsale pitch to see if I'd voluntarily buy support - which I resisted due to the price. I never did buy support as it all works perfectly well for me / my system and needs.

Note: My personal preference is: If it's working 100% for me, I do NOT voluntarily upgrade. Especially with rumors of not-so-friendly-support.

Earlier this year, someone was having an upgrade issue on a thread and I clicked the Toolkit -> Software Check operation. It came back that I required a firmware update but I couldn't dismiss the dialog or message (e.g. decline). This interfered with the main monitor screen (with blue bars) looking normal. I opened a ticket asking how to dismiss the notification. They wanted my system specifics and I gave a pic of the pop-up with version info but declined doing a log dump and said I just wanted to know how to undo the notification on the toolkit. Meanwhile I discovered that if I re-installed the toolkit I could resume normal operation without the dialog/notification.

I emailed (on the ticket) explaining that I'd found a solution. I expected them to say - OK, we'll close the ticket (and maybe - glad you found a solution).

Instead they again demanded system details and I declined and suggested that as a 112 longmon user (e.g. experienced user), with this support experience and other bad experiences I've heard about, I could no long recommend their product. They then lectured me that they had responded to me too many times, wasting their time (e.g. I'm a bad customer).

But the kicker - the last line of the lecture was "... the dialog/message issue has been fixed in newer software..." as emphasis that I'm a 'bad customer' for not upgrading. In other words, they answered my question - e.g. fixed in newer software!

Sigh... I LOVE THE PRODUCT but I don't like the support!

Last edited:
It's must be annoying, but is this phenomena isn't stops your entire system I presume. Also to be very honest, I never noticed the precision of auto levelling is adjustable. My cells always within 0.02V, unless I discharge it down to 3.5V ish. In that range it goes off by 0.12-0.15V. I guess because of the top balancing. I did not notice any spikes as it wasn't my concern. It still shows the entire "firmware business" is probably out of there league... I'm back to "other battery" option to avoid inconvenience. Leaf batteries are so robust I don't think it would hurt...

Agree. I consider myself lucky compared to what I'm reading here.

I really like my watchmon 4 and the software, I'm looking forward to the live version as well. But the support needs some work, no updates since forwarding messages on 10/5 from prior troubleshooting. I have not bothered them with messages at all while I waited over 3 months for an update.

Going on 10 days since I asked them a couple of questions concerning the last email since their response was confusing.

That's bad pretty bad. I suggested to a friend to not go for Batrium, because the cost is not a guarantee for the seamless operation and/or good support. So he ended up with a HiBMS which is pretty similar as Daly (solid state relay disconnection, on board balancing) with a touchscreen interface. The price was pretty much 1/4, compare to Batrium, and does the trick. The hybrid inverter itself is smart enough to control the charge (obviously with correct setup), so balancing is the only task what he needed. Top of that that cheapo unit communicates to the inverter via CAN bus.... unbelievable...
Thanks Batrium, but no thanks anymore.

Anyone fancy for a Batrium WM Core+500A shunt+7 Leafmon and IsoMon for a very reasonable price? Make me an offer. It is in NZ.

This is surprising they finally responded, they were actually going to ship back the core unrepaired at my expense. After I forwarded the emails and logs were I worked with maxine they will process the rma. But the kicker is I still have to pay for shipping again and it will be another 3-4 weeks.

Over 3 months of waiting they will not ship back my doa core which required me to pay shipping. But would not send a replacement till I paid for shipping. Love my batrium watchmons but the support is terrible.

Attachments

• rma.png
    rma.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 6
Another FW upgrade, lockups are still present...
Thanks for posting your issues. You’d think they would have a employee monitor these forums to jump on this shit lickity split. My company monitors FB and Google and other forums in a different industry to get ahead of issues before they get out of control.
All it took in all the scenarios in this thread was keep the customer in the loop. Provide a shipping return tag, provide 5 free hours of tech support once we get this issue taken care of or some kind of compensation. Or a personal email hey we’re still thinking about and working on your issue. Even if they had said to you hey here’s a return tag and we will refund your money I personally would still contemplate purchasing the product.

If been emailing them for the past couple of weeks and they were pushing the K9 as it was cheaper

But now nope!

Was going to purchase Batrium for a 64 Lifpo4 battery setup to link with my 2 SolArk 15Ks in a closed loop ideally.

Back