diy solar

diy solar

Battery(300) Design Open Sourced

Time to bust out the dremel then
It doesn't work like that with 3D printed material to cut out that much material on the shoulder, the outer layers are solid, maybe 3-8 layers thick, but depending on the setup, the internals will be infill, maybe printed at 20-30%, so you lose the strength.

Also, if i recall, the lid mounts are located were the shoulders are, you could cut them out, but then you have nothing to fix the lid to.

@bryn
Yeah my stud to edge is 25.4mm and below in the image is the dimensions
looks like your design is what i need.

Attachments

• Hce0da23a2d2d4b2aa892f18df8cc1b132.jpg
    Hce0da23a2d2d4b2aa892f18df8cc1b132.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Great design. Won't fit on my Prusa however so I am using the other design where there is a cap on the top and bottom. I have to use metal for my endcaps and will design a box for my JBD BMS to attach to it.

Great design. Won't fit on my Prusa however so I am using the other design where there is a cap on the top and bottom. I have to use metal for my endcaps and will design a box for my JBD BMS to attach to it.
Yeah Sunrise has a bigger printer, I’m printing on a mk3s+, it was a tight fit to get my version to fit.

i Haven’t seen the other design, you got a link to it?

Yeah Sunrise has a bigger printer, I’m printing on a mk3s+, it was a tight fit to get my version to fit.

i Haven’t seen the other design, you got a link to it?

This is what mine looks like so far. I have the Same Prusa as yours. I don't see how his design would fit with my particular cells. Definilteley, his design is shorter in length since you don't have to have spacers like mine have.
1647623604659.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, I hadn’t come across that design, looks easier to print, the lego styles connections are pretty cool.

Thanks for the link, I hadn’t come across that design, looks easier to print, the lego styles connections are pretty cool.
Just have to do supports for the top piece. Took me awhile to figure out the settings to make them easier to remove. Found some settings online that made it easier. In the mean time, I cut the heck out of my hand using a wood chisel when it slipped!

I like the design in this thread because it looks like it uses a lot less material and I like how the BMS is mounted. Mine will be mounted on the end so you will see the wires going to and from it which isn't as ideal.

Last edited:
Just have to do supports for the top piece. Took me awhile to figure out the settings to make them easier to remove. Found some settings online that made it easier. In the mean time, I cut the heck out of my hand using a wood chisel when it slipped!

I like the design in this thread because it looks like it uses a lot less material and I like how the BMS is mounted. Mine will be mounted on the end so you will see the wires going to and from it which isn't as ideal.
Not long to go then, until its finished printing, well less than when you started, 3D printing is so slow, looking forwards to seeing the finished unit

Sorry to hear about your hand, chisels do a lot of damage, Car trim removal tools would work well for parts removal, although this isn't going to help you at the moment.

My print just got delayed, the print fan gave up in the middle of a print, so i've got to wait until a new fan comes in, Prusa are sending a new one, but i'll also grab a spare locally and fit what ever turns up first and then i'll have a spare, but i guess it's an opportunity to fit the Revo i brought that i haven't gotten around to fitting while i wait for the fan.

My print just got delayed, the print fan gave up in the middle of a print, so i've got to wait until a new fan comes in, Prusa are sending a new one, but i'll also grab a spare locally and fit what ever turns up first and then i'll have a spare, but i guess it's an opportunity to fit the Revo i brought that i haven't gotten around to fitting while i wait for the fan.
Tell me more about the REVO...advantages?

Did you build your Prusa from a kit? I did...I would have to do a lot of review to take the extruder apart.

The only advantage for me, is repeatable cold nozzle changes, with no change in Z axis with different nozzle sizes

I get lazy and just end up using the .4 nozzle instead of using a better suited sized nozzle for the job, as its a pain to change.

I got mine already assembled from Prusa, as the waiting time was an extra 6 weeks for a kit, the hotend seems simple enough to install, although still a pain.

I was planning on installing it after printing the battery case, as the printer was dialled in and i didn't feel like pulling it apart

The only advantage for me, is repeatable cold nozzle changes, with no change in Z axis with different nozzle sizes

I get lazy and just end up using the .4 nozzle instead of using a better suited sized nozzle for the job, as its a pain to change.

I got mine already assembled from Prusa, as the waiting time was an extra 6 weeks for a kit, the hotend seems simple enough to install, although still a pain.

I was planning on installing it after printing the battery case, as the printer was dialled in and i didn't feel like pulling it apart
i will have to look into that. Figured for everything I do, the stock nozzle would be fine. Definitely, wouldn't want to have to do a live z-adjust for every time I changed the nozzle. Hard enough dialing it in for every one of my sheets.

Last edited:
So in that case, just play with the parameter won't help as it's outside the range that parameter was designed for . However you can ask your son to adjust the design by doing one of the following

1. narrow the stool the firewall sits on, it doesn't need to be that wide. I think 8-10mm should be enough to accommodate a 3mm screw.
2. move the stool from center to an offset to avoid the terminal

Hope this helps, this is local change of the overall design, you can still reuse most of the design.
Hi @sunrise , encountered same issue as @jdfrye, terminals are 25.4 mm from stud center to edge. Here's my first attempt to narrow the stool and offset back 20mm. Realigned the screw holes on the lid to match. Widened the opening so the battery can slide in freely. Will print one section tonight to see if it fits. Still thinking about the top cover, whether to make some room under the lid for a small display, outlet, switch, or meter etc. Learning a lot from this project, thank you again for your work on this.

modifications.PNG

Last edited:
Hi @sunrise , encountered same issue as @jdfrye, terminals are 25.4 mm from stud center to edge. Here's my first attempt to narrow the stool and offset back 20mm. Realigned the screw holes on the lid to match. Widened the opening so the battery can slide in freely. Will print one section tonight to see if it fits.
oooOOO!! yes! here's to hoping you like what you print.

Hi @sunrise , encountered same issue as @jdfrye, terminals are 25.4 mm from stud center to edge. Here's my first attempt to narrow the stool and offset back 20mm. Realigned the screw holes on the lid to match. Widened the opening so the battery can slide in freely. Will print one section tonight to see if it fits. Still thinking about the top cover, whether to make some room under the lid for a small display, outlet, switch, or meter etc. Learning a lot from this project, thank you again for your work on this.

View attachment 88248
Looks like you are making great progress. Wondering if you actually need to offset the stool all the way to one end? is it possible to make it 'thinner' + carve the base a little to make room for the stud base?

20220322_202559-a.jpg

Our battery terminals are further apart, so I had to widen the opening quite a bit. The print on the left was the original design, you can see how much material I removed (with a pull saw) to get the battery to slide fully in. On the right is the modified version. At the time, I wasn't sure about obstructions due to tan and black rings around the terminal, but it seems there is just enough play in the case for those rings to slide under stool if necessary. I wanted to have extra clearance near the terminals, and don't think I have enough experience with Fusion to carve the base. Pushing the stool back was a lot easier than I thought. Will see if this can work as-is. I'll upload the STLs for @jdfrye if this works.

The middle print was a failed/cancelled print, but I'm thinking to attach it (or the larger hacksawed section) to one end of the case using longer threaded rod, to place the factory bluetooth module and maybe a panel for a battery meter. Since I need to split the top cover anyways, I'm thinking to elongate the second half, and maybe try to fit a panel mounted Anderson connector. I don't know, easier said than done, probably not worth the extra effort.

Back