diy solar

diy solar

Battery fusing

Ronnie B

I have a 12V 2000W inverter. Do I fuse for continuous (200A) or for 3000W (315A)?
  • Peak surge output: OverPower (up to 1 hour) 3000W, Double-Boost (up to 10 seconds) 4000W.
  • Full continuous load - 200A at 12V DC

What inverter?

1 hr at 3000W for an hour is likely to pop any fuse or breaker sized for 2000W. In your case, I would cable for:

3000W/12V/.85 = 294A (unless they specify 315A in the manual).

Fuse for 1.25X wire rating.

What inverter?

1 hr at 3000W for an hour is likely to pop any fuse or breaker sized for 2000W. In your case, I would cable for:

3000W/12V/.85 = 294A (unless they specify 315A in the manual).

Fuse for 1.25X wire rating.

TRIPP-LITE 2000W PowerVerter Plus Industrial-Strength Inverter.​

I kind of thought it would have to be fused for 3000W.

Fuse to wires not the inverter, no sense having a 200a fuse with 4awg.

Size the wire for the load/inverter and the length of leads.

Fuse to wires not the inverter, no sense having a 200a fuse with 4awg.

Size the wire for the load/inverter and the length of leads.
Should I fuse for a load of 4000W for 10 seconds? I really don’t think I will run that high of a load but, what if?

Again do you have conductor to support that load?

Seems like 2/0 minimum is needed.

Are you transporting people to the hospital? If so, the analogy is relevant. If not, there are likely better solutions.
Your judgment of what I am running on it is not relevant. You don’t know what I am running on it, so there is no way for you to know if there is a better solution. Thank you for your initial response.

Again do you have conductor to support that load?

Seems like 2/0 minimum is needed.
I will have to check specs for wire capacity. Like you said, fuse for wire. Load may have to suffer due to that. I don’t know if ANL fuses would hold the higher amps for a few seconds.

Your judgment of what I am running on it is not relevant. You don’t know what I am running on it, so there is no way for you to know if there is a better solution. Thank you for your initial response.

Agreed. EXCEPT, that's a pricey unit for what you get, so it's pretty easy to make the claim that there is a better solution.

Same ones used on local ambulances. It seems work well for them.

Again, unless you are operating in the same fashion with the same needs as local ambulances, the above is nonsensical.

Agreed. EXCEPT, that's a pricey unit for what you get, so it's pretty easy to make the claim that there is a better solution.

Again, unless you are operating in the same fashion with the same needs as local ambulances, the above is nonsensical.
Maybe that's what he has on hand and doesn't have budget for something else? Not sure why you have to bash him about it.

Fuse for wire protection, wire for load required.

Back