diy solar

diy solar

Battery switch - Double pole - single throw - 150amp ?

Fingers

This is crazy, I've been looking for a 100 - 150amp switch but I just can't find one.
It has to be double pole, although I know folks are using single pole or using a breaker as a switch, all they can find?

I can't use the Blue Sea switches or the cheap red switches found on AliExpress as they are only single pole or low amps & volts. Also, this switch on AliExpress has differing specifications from one advert to another, how can they be trusted.

So what do you use / recommend?

Yes I have on of those, but it's a breaker, they burn out if used as a switch.
Also they only have a few "blows" in them then there scrap.

Humm, I don't get it, why would you want to use it as a single pole?

The top is still independent only the bottom is tied. If one side is over current, the whole breaker trips. Mechanically they give up I could possibly see because they are quite quick and violent (loud bang). As far as contact arcing or burning up, that would surprise me. In that regard they are over built for a 55 volt system. How often do you switch it off?

This is the Amazon ad for the DIHOOL version (rebadged Watts247). Look at the mechanical life. If yours came apart sooner, you might have gotten a defective one or the description is totally off.9C7C0463-1BA7-422B-9422-18B9D5768561.png

When I got it, I was curious about it myself and had open it up to see how it was made. I checked the resistance before and after a half dozen throws and it improved slightly and the change in the surface of the contact pad was just perceptible under magnification. The resistance was better than the Blue sea that I had before. 01394F00-F537-4A1F-86CE-20AD6F51F242.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the Amazon ad for the DIHOOL version (rebadged Watts247). Look at the mechanical life. If yours came apart sooner, you might have gotten a defective one or the description is totally off.View attachment 145173
Have exactly that one. Installed one for the first battery and works. Just working on the second one.

Attachments

• IMG_20230416_133144.jpg
    IMG_20230416_133144.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 11
Part of me wants those breakers even though my disconnect switches and T fuses are perfectly fine lol.

I was talking to a solar retailer who said he had some unhappy customers due to burn outs. Apparently folks were using them as a switch, under load.

You should turn off loads before cutting the switch when at all possible anyway...
Yes the system should be powered down before turning off, but what I was looking for was a panic / emergency switch. In case of fire or arching etc.
My batteries have on/off switches built in, then I have T fuses for both batteries on both poles (4 fuses), then a 100amp 2pole breaker per battery, then the panic switch, and then a 150amp breaker as per the manual.
The top is still independent only the bottom is tied.
No, still don't get it :(

My batteries have on/off switches built in, then I have T fuses for both batteries on both poles (4 fuses), then a 100amp 2pole breaker per battery, then the panic switch, and then a 150amp breaker
So, you already have 8 connections from the battery and you want to add 2 MORE? WHY?

So, you already have 8 connections from the battery and you want to add 2 MORE? WHY?
The battery / cable connectors are only rated at 100amps (0% reserve), and I'll be charging at 100amps, the inverter can charge at 120amps, it would be prudent to rig out to cover the 120amps. Nothing wrong with the cables, just the fittings (I don't trust them).

So 8 cables (25mm2 each) doubled up, going to a block of 100amp fuse's, from there 4 cables (50mm2) going to 2 100amp breakers, breakers to a big panic switch, then on to a 150amp breaker next to the inverter, then inverter.

In just about every video we see a big red panic switch for the AC and another for the battery DC, then another DC switch for the solar. And this is what the manual states it should be like. All switches, fuses, breakers, double pole. :)

In just about every video we see a big red panic switch for the AC and another for the battery DC, then another DC switch for the solar. And this is what the manual states it should be like. All switches, fuses, breakers, double pole. :)
Not sure what videos you are watching.
None of the ones I've seen have a big red cartoon button.
All of this is overkill and only introduces additional points of resistance and failure.

Back