diy solar

diy solar

Benefits of Firmware Update for Growatt 12k DVM MPV

Does anyone see the Solar Charger of the 12k seem to NOT be charging ... or at least not very much? We have the 12k and also an External Stand alone SCC with an 8 string 11,800w array. With both chargers on and full blue sky solar noon sun, batteries at 3.345v per cell (about 88%), if both chargers are on, the external charger put out 4000w and the 12k's charger would only do 800 or less watts. If I turn off the breakers to the external SCC, I get about 3000w , but if I switch the external back on it immediately drops to under 800 again.

BUT ... it we load up the loads (more than just battery charging) ... the 12k came up to 3000w and the external was at 4000w. How normal is this behavior?
How is your 8 string array wired? All together? I have my 8kw worth of panels separated into two arrays. 4kw into one combiner box and 4kw into another. Each combiner box is then wired into one of the (3500w max) PV inputs of the 12kW Growatt. Looking at my graphs, the most production I have seen (recently) is a combined total of about 6529 watts. Approx. 3265 coming from each (3500W max) input.

Do you have both of the Growatt PV inputs connected?
Are they connected to the same array?
If you have both Growatt inputs plus a separate SCC all hooked up to the same array, I am not sure how well that would work with each SCC MPPT competing to get the most out of the panels. But I might not fully understand how that works.

Since the older model gw scc48120 scc will not connect to SolarAssistant, it is pretty much impossible to compare its production to the gw spfxxxxt, but when the batteries are full, or near full (they are communicating) the spfxxxxt only produces enough to cover loads. Since the scc48120 will not communicate with the batteries, it is set a little lower voltage than the spfxxxxt so as not to overcharge.

How is your 8 string array wired? All together? I have my 8kw worth of panels separated into two arrays. 4kw into one combiner box and 4kw into another. Each combiner box is then wired into one of the (3500w max) PV inputs of the 12kW Growatt. Looking at my graphs, the most production I have seen (recently) is a combined total of about 6529 watts. Approx. 3265 coming from each (3500W max) input.

Do you have both of the Growatt PV inputs connected?
Are they connected to the same array?
If you have both Growatt inputs plus a separate SCC all hooked up to the same array, I am not sure how well that would work with each SCC MPPT competing to get the most out of the panels. But I might not fully understand how that works.
We have both the Growatt 12kw and an external SCC. each unit has 2 PV inputs (a total of 4) and is rated for 250vdc and 3500w each
- Our 32 370w panels are wired 4s. A total of 8 strings
- Total Array: 11,840 watts
- Total Each 4s string: 1480w and 192vdc VOC
- 2 combiner boxes: each 4 in / 2 out.
- So the 8 strings go into the 2 combiners and come out as 4 outs
- These 4 outs go to each of the PV in's
- 2 to the Growatt 12k and 2 to the External SCC
- each input is 192vdc and 2960 watts.
- So each charger (there are 2) gets a total of 2960w to PV1 + 2960w to PV2 = 5920 watts in to each SCC

Final Array Design - Feb 2023.JPG

Last edited:
Since the older model gw scc48120 scc will not connect to SolarAssistant, it is pretty much impossible to compare its production to the gw spfxxxxt, but when the batteries are full, or near full (they are communicating) the spfxxxxt only produces enough to cover loads. Since the scc48120 will not communicate with the batteries, it is set a little lower voltage than the spfxxxxt so as not to overcharge.
I do not have either the Growatt 12k or the SCC connected to the DIY battery BMS.

when the batteries are full, or near full (they are communicating) the spfxxxxt only produces enough to cover loads.
But what you are saying pretty much aligns with what I am seeing

We have both the Growatt 12kw and an external SCC. each unit has 2 PV inputs (a total of 4) and is rated for 250vdc and 3500w each
- Our 32 370w panels are wired 4s. A total of 8 strings
- Total Array: 11,840 watts
- Total Each 4s string: 1480w and 192vdc VOC
- 2 combiner boxes: each 4 in / 2 out.
- So the 8 strings go into the 2 combiners and come out as 4 outs
- These 4 outs go to each of the PV in's
- 2 to the Growatt 12k and 2 to the External SCC
- each input is 192vdc and 2960 watts.
- So each charger (there are 2) gets a total of 2960w to PV1 + 2960w to PV2 = 5920 watts in to each SCC

View attachment 134957
I have the same problem on my Growatt 12 k but 150 VOC PV1 kicks in early produces what it has too ..But PV2 doesn't can only see that the voltage is there but only showing under 3000 watts...when I start adding heavier loads 2500 watts or more than PV2 will finally start kicking in the next day both PVs started early on a very cloudy day and were producing over a 1000 watts together...I said Wow that's perfect...but the next day same ??? sad story only one PV1 noughin on PV2 again... thinking about adding a morning star mppt 60 amp that I have and just buy a few more panels for next winter better...

I have the same problem on my Growatt 12 k but 150 VOC PV1 kicks in early produces what it has too ..But PV2 doesn't can only see that the voltage is there but only showing under 3000 watts...when I start adding heavier loads 2500 watts or more than PV2 will finally start kicking in the next day both PVs started early on a very cloudy day and were producing over a 1000 watts together...I said Wow that's perfect...but the next day same ??? sad story only one PV1 noughin on PV2 again... thinking about adding a morning star mppt 60 amp that I have and just buy a few more panels for next winter better...
That might be a plan. And I do not think there will be much in the way of firmware updates to these Growatt 12k units. Seems Sig Solar has kinda moved on and is not focusing on their newer products. So I doubt it is a hi priority for them to lean on Growatt to update firmware and work out bugs.

That might be a plan. And I do not think there will be much in the way of firmware updates to these Growatt 12k units. Seems Sig Solar has kinda moved on and is not focusing on their newer products. So I doubt it is a hi priority for them to lean on Growatt to update firmware and work out bugs.
Ya EG4 is everything now for them and today for no reason PV 2 kicked in again on a cloudy rainy day think ? it did that because my batteries were around 60% SOC and saw 1500 to 2500w for both PVs the mppt on theses Growatt SPF 12K have a mind for themselves...

This will be the last thread where I comment about the firmware update that is available from Growatt that fixes this issue since no one ever seems to care. Write an email directly to Growatt(you can use google to search for their email address) explaining your problem and they will send you a link to download the firmware. I updated my SPF8000T and since doing so have had flawless operation for almost a year now. No need to reboot the inverter, ever. It simply works and does its job very well with the updated firmware.

This will be the last thread where I comment about the firmware update that is available from Growatt that fixes this issue since no one ever seems to care. Write an email directly to Growatt(you can use google to search for their email address) explaining your problem and they will send you a link to download the firmware. I updated my SPF8000T and since doing so have had flawless operation for almost a year now. No need to reboot the inverter, ever. It simply works and does its job very well with the updated firmware.
I finally tried to update the Firmware on my 12kw. I followed the instructions meticulously but the update did not work and now it will not recognize the Solar input at all.

I finally tried to update the Firmware on my 12kw. I followed the instructions meticulously but the update did not work and now it will not recognize the Solar input at all.
After contacting Signature Solar, they told me my unit was about 3 weeks out of warranty so they could not help. I contacted Growatt directly and it took a while but they finally responded with suggesting I try the newest version of the ISP Tool Version 5.03.

I tried that a few nights ago and the results were the same, the flash never actually did anything (as reported on the screen) but now the invertor won't even turn on. It's official, I now have a 165# brick. I e-mailed them back the results but have yet to hear back form them again.

I find it amazing that something as simple as updating the firmware can disable an entire unit.

After contacting Signature Solar, they told me my unit was about 3 weeks out of warranty so they could not help. I contacted Growatt directly and it took a while but they finally responded with suggesting I try the newest version of the ISP Tool Version 5.03.

I tried that a few nights ago and the results were the same, the flash never actually did anything (as reported on the screen) but now the invertor won't even turn on. It's official, I now have a 165# brick. I e-mailed them back the results but have yet to hear back form them again.

I find it amazing that something as simple as updating the firmware can disable an entire unit.
I would like to report that I was able to successfully re-flash my inverter and get it working again. The short answer is trying to flash it with a Windows 10 computer failed and when I switched back to my Windows 7 laptop and it worked fine. I was even able to successfully revive an Inverter that appeared to be bricked. Here is the whole story.

After the first re-flash attempt, the Inverter still worked but it would not see the solar (or charge the batteries) at all. The MPPT was completely disabled.

I contacted Growatt and they sent me a newer ISP tool V5.03 and said that should fix it.
The second re-flash attempt failed just like the first but this time the inverter would not even come back on.
It just set there with screen off and the lights flashing like this
No attempt to reset or restart it was successful. Now nothing worked, I basically had a brick with flashing lights.

I contacted Growatt again and they told me that even in that condition, if I started the flash process first and then turned the inverter on, it should work so I tried it a few more times and.... NOTHING.

Then I remembered reading something on this Forum about people having problems with Windows 10 but Windows 7 worked fine. I recalled, when I first got this inverter, I was able to upgrade the firmware just fine AND it was with a Windows 7 laptop so I decided to give it one more try.

I dug out an old Windows 7 laptop and installed the original USB driver on it and using the old ISP Tool V4.30 and the old firmware I used 2 years ago when I first got the unit, I did the following.

With Utility AC power still attached to the Inverter, I removed battery power from the inverter and let it die.
I hooked up the USB cable and opened the ISP Tool V4.30.
I selected the COM3, choose the Firmware to flash, opened communications to the inverter, (the time and date popped up on the screen showing me I was successfully communicating with the inverter) and hit the FLASH button.
The Send: Start! command began scrolling in the left window.
With the power switch on the inverter set to ON, I immediately went and added battery power (soft start through a resister) to turn it on.
After a few seconds for the capacitors to charge up, I switched the battery disconnect to ON.
Progress on the ISP Tool screen started immediately and it went through the re-flash process just as it is supposed to.
It Erased, Flashed the new firmware, Verified and once complete, the inverter came back on.

The only problem was, it still did not recognize the solar panels.
The inverter was again working but still no solar charging.

I switched the building back to utility power to take the load off.
I left the inverter on and the solar connected.
I used the new ISP Tool V5.03 and successfully flashed the newest firmware with zero problems.
When the inverter came back on this time, everything (including the solar) is working again as it should.

I will have to wait to see if the original problem (intermittent solar charging failure) is fixed or not but at least it is back working again.

It appears the problem has something to do with Windows 10. I must have tried a total of 10 times with the Windows 10 laptop and it never worked, just made things worse. The very first attempt with my windows 7 computer (even to an inverter that seemed to be bricked) worked the first time... perfectly.

I would like to report that I was able to successfully re-flash my inverter and get it working again. The short answer is trying to flash it with a Windows 10 computer failed and when I switched back to my Windows 7 laptop and it worked fine. I was even able to successfully revive an Inverter that appeared to be bricked. Here is the whole story.

After the first re-flash attempt, the Inverter still worked but it would not see the solar (or charge the batteries) at all. The MPPT was completely disabled.

I contacted Growatt and they sent me a newer ISP tool V5.03 and said that should fix it.
The second re-flash attempt failed just like the first but this time the inverter would not even come back on.
It just set there with screen off and the lights flashing like this
No attempt to reset or restart it was successful. Now nothing worked, I basically had a brick with flashing lights.

I contacted Growatt again and they told me that even in that condition, if I started the flash process first and then turned the inverter on, it should work so I tried it a few more times and.... NOTHING.

Then I remembered reading something on this Forum about people having problems with Windows 10 but Windows 7 worked fine. I recalled, when I first got this inverter, I was able to upgrade the firmware just fine AND it was with a Windows 7 laptop so I decided to give it one more try.

I dug out an old Windows 7 laptop and installed the original USB driver on it and using the old ISP Tool V4.30 and the old firmware I used 2 years ago when I first got the unit, I did the following.

With Utility AC power still attached to the Inverter, I removed battery power from the inverter and let it die.
I hooked up the USB cable and opened the ISP Tool V4.30.
I selected the COM3, choose the Firmware to flash, opened communications to the inverter, (the time and date popped up on the screen showing me I was successfully communicating with the inverter) and hit the FLASH button.
The Send: Start! command began scrolling in the left window.
With the power switch on the inverter set to ON, I immediately went and added battery power (soft start through a resister) to turn it on.
After a few seconds for the capacitors to charge up, I switched the battery disconnect to ON.
Progress on the ISP Tool screen started immediately and it went through the re-flash process just as it is supposed to.
It Erased, Flashed the new firmware, Verified and once complete, the inverter came back on.

The only problem was, it still did not recognize the solar panels.
The inverter was again working but still no solar charging.

I switched the building back to utility power to take the load off.
I left the inverter on and the solar connected.
I used the new ISP Tool V5.03 and successfully flashed the newest firmware with zero problems.
When the inverter came back on this time, everything (including the solar) is working again as it should.

I will have to wait to see if the original problem (intermittent solar charging failure) is fixed or not but at least it is back working again.

It appears the problem has something to do with Windows 10. I must have tried a total of 10 times with the Windows 10 laptop and it never worked, just made things worse. The very first attempt with my windows 7 computer (even to an inverter that seemed to be bricked) worked the first time... perfectly.
Hi, I have the same problem that others on this thread with the solar panel not showing up randomly.
I wrote to Signature Solar and Growatt with the same problem on Dec/2022 and neither of them never replied to me.... worst customer service ever...
I would really appreciate if you could you share the ISP Tool and the firmware? Just thinking about the whole issued with SS and Growatt makes me angry.
Thank you.

Hi, I have the same problem that others on this thread with the solar panel not showing up randomly.
I wrote to Signature Solar and Growatt with the same problem on Dec/2022 and neither of them never replied to me.... worst customer service ever...
I would really appreciate if you could you share the ISP Tool and the firmware? Just thinking about the whole issued with SS and Growatt makes me angry.
Thank you.
The Firmware update package you are requesting (and an outline of how to successfully install it) is in this post. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-12k-latest-firmware.53805/page-3#post-817434

Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem of the solar randomly not showing up. Less than a week after I completed the flash update, it did it again. I have learned a fairly easy way to get it to start working again (even remotely) from another thread on here (sorry I forget who to give the credit to).

If you are using the Growatt Shine Link and log into your Growatt Dashboard, you can open the Settings window and if you make a small change to the "Charging Constant Voltage Point" value (just a tenth of a Volt is enough) and then save* it, that will cause it to start working (for the day). I have not tried it but I bet it would also work if you changed that value on the screen of the inverter also and it's certainly easier than restarting the entire thing (as I have had to do in the past). Now this only gets it working for that day but it's the best (band aid) fix I have found so far.

*Note: The Enter Key is the current day in this format YYYYMMDD

I also informed Growatt directly that this Flash update did not fix the problem but received no response. I find it so strange that it can go several months at a time before it glitches and then it will do it twice in 14 days. There is just no rhyme or reason to it that I can see.

Last edited:
The Firmware update package you are requesting (and an outline of how to successfully install it) is in this post. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-12k-latest-firmware.53805/page-3#post-817434

Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem of the solar randomly not showing up. Less than a week after I completed the flash update, it did it again. I have learned a fairly easy way to get it to start working again (even remotely) from another thread on here (sorry I forget who to give the credit to).

If you are using the Growatt Shine Link and log into your Growatt Dashboard, you can open the Settings window and if you make a small change to the "Charging Constant Voltage Point" value (just a tenth of a Volt is enough) and then save* it, that will cause it to start working (for the day). I have not tried it but I bet it would also work if you changed that value on the screen of the inverter also and it's certainly easier than restarting the entire thing (as I have had to do in the past). Now this only gets it working for that day but it's the best (band aid) fix I have found so far.

*Note: The Enter Key is the current day in this format YYYYMMDD

I also informed Growatt directly that this Flash update did not fix the problem but received no response. I find it so strange that it can go several months at a time before it glitches and then it will do it twice in 14 days. There is just no rhyme or reason to it that I can see.
Thank you for the link.
And also thanks for the tip to reengage the solar charger without turning off everything.
(y)

Just a note to report that my unit is not charging again today. No reason that I can tell. I logged into the Settings via the Growatt Dashboard and changed the "Charging Constant Voltage Point" setting by 0.1 Volt and saved the setting and a few minutes later the Dashboard now reports that the unit is working properly again. I also sent another e-mail directly to Growatt Technical Support notifying them of this ongoing problem and requesting that they look into fixing it.

Just a note to report that my unit is not charging again today. No reason that I can tell. I logged into the Settings via the Growatt Dashboard and changed the "Charging Constant Voltage Point" setting by 0.1 Volt and saved the setting and a few minutes later the Dashboard now reports that the unit is working properly again. I also sent another e-mail directly to Growatt Technical Support notifying them of this ongoing problem and requesting that they look into fixing it.
Please keep us updated. Sorry you are going through this!

Please keep us updated. Sorry you are going through this!
I actually got a response back from Growatt Technical Support indicating that they were going to look into solving the problem. Time will tell.

Back