diy solar

diy solar

Best BMS for 16s setup, worry free (low temp not a big deal)

Alkaline

Solar Wizard
What is a good reliable BMS that works for 16s, Current capacity would need to be 100amps. Bluetooth would be nice but not required, nor is low temp cut-off. However, making sure cells are balanced would be needed.

Will the standard Daly BMS work? I would like the lease complicated setup as possible.

Also I have 2 banks so these would be parallelled.

Can you run them as 2X 8S batteries in series and use 2X overkillsolar BMS?

I am glad you asked Alkaline as I am looking at the same thing at the moment.

I am building 3x 16s battery banks for my own use and plan to run them in parallel with separate BMS for maximum redundancy.

I am considering: ANT, JBD, DALY and Chargery

I have JBD and DALY here in use at the moment and some ANT on the way. The Chargery looks good but obviosuly a bit more complicated with external relay etc.

Snoobler: Those Overkill solar BMS look like JBD BMS. I have a couple of them here in 4s and 16s and they work pretty well. The app is a bit clunky on Android. The iphone looks better.

Do you know if they have their own app?

Jimmy

2X 8S batteries in series is like one 16S battery, i.e., I proposed you use 2 24V batteries each with their own 8S BMS, but put them in series to get the 48V.

The Overkill BMS are JBD BMS see attached photo. Wouldn't you just go a native 16s over mucking around with two 8s??

Attachments

• Overkill JBD BMS.png
    Overkill JBD BMS.png
    208 KB · Views: 32
I am building 3x 16s battery banks for my own use and plan to run them in parallel with separate BMS for maximum redundancy

@JIMMY I have to disagree about the maximum redundancy part. Putting batteries (with their own independent bms) in parallel does not improve redundancy. On the contrary, it is not recommended. Think about this: if one battery with bms hits low cut off, the other battery with bms is now in charge of all the current. The sudden increase of current may hurt the bms and the battery. Thus it is not safe to do so.

I was in the same boat and considering exactly the same setup. I contacted the seller in China and asked them about my setup. They were strongly against me doing it though they knew telling me so means they’ll lose some business from me. I was convinced by them and not putting them in parallel.

now, I am at a loss what bms I should go with. Maybe chargery, but the relay part really is my thing...

Hi,

@JIMMY I have to disagree about the maximum redundancy part. Putting batteries (with their own independent bms) in parallel does not improve redundancy. On the contrary, it is not recommended. Think about this: if one battery with bms hits low cut off, the other battery with bms is now in charge of all the current. The sudden increase of current may hurt the bms and the battery. Thus it is not safe to do so.

I was in the same boat and considering exactly the same setup. I contacted the seller in China and asked them about my setup. They were strongly against me doing it though they knew telling me so means they’ll lose some business from me. I was convinced by them and not putting them in parallel.

now, I am at a loss what bms I should go with. Maybe chargery, but the relay part really is my thing...

If both are rated the same, I.E. to max. possible load, what is the difference between losing one BMS/battery bank in a dual system, and the sudden application of a very large load to a single BMS?

I can understand that it's probably not desirable if the dual system is only capable of handling half of the max. load each. But then, what are the chances of a failure? The owner knows the limitations.

I plan on doing 2 separate, but parallel systems rather than 1 large system, connected to 1 inverter. I'll build one BMS/bank, then add the 2nd. at a later date. I'll have the same total capacity, load limited by the inverter, and redunancy. Then, the inverter will fail! :LOL:

dRdoS7

Back