diy solar

diy solar

Best gas generator for a backup battery charging?

I didn’t realize.
That looks like I could wreck it in an afternoon. Just looks light duty.
I think it depends on the soil. High rock or clay content probably a no go.
I think they use to or still do sell a home sawmill.
I had one of their mini mill drill machines, the red one thats $799. When I bought it years ago it was $499, had a matching lathe.
Everything about it was okay except the dc motor was weak. They claimed it would drill 1/4" steel, it bogged down in 1/4" aluminum.
Except for that Ive never bought their electric power tools. (All my cordless stuff has been makita since the 80s)
Their air and hydraulic stuff have been fine.
Its not widely known but they sell more floor jacks than anyone in America. I have their Daytona low profile jack got it for $110 with a coupon, its a beast and its not even their strongest.

Back on topic I never expected my predator 2000 would still be starting on the first pull nearly 6 years after I bought it, and Ive been using it at least 5 hrs a week year round. Id thought about buying a honda when I get extra cash but itd prolly get stolen.

Maybe that whistlin diesel guy on youtube could get his hands on one, prolly destroy it in an hour. While his channel is fun hes kind of an imbecile, Id rather see what project farm could do with it instead. Or maybe aVe could do a teardown.

Harbor freight has more expensive items:

View attachment 80685
$3500
Oh yeah, quite aware a person can spend a lot at HF if they want. HF has some solid deals, too. The 2kw inverter genny is one, and a lot of people are running the HF 12k lb winch with zero trouble.

There's an 8.5kw Generac for $1200 new in box, a used 8kw DeWalt for $1300, another 8.5kw Generac used 30hrs for $700, a 7.8kw McCulloch for $350, and multiple Onan RV generators in my area. I just wouldn't do a $2000 Harbor Freight generator with these options available. Bigger bang for the buck in the used market.

Oh yeah, quite aware a person can spend a lot at HF if they want. HF has some solid deals, too. The 2kw inverter genny is one, and a lot of people are running the HF 12k lb winch with zero trouble.

There's an 8.5kw Generac for $1200 new in box, a used 8kw DeWalt for $1300, another 8.5kw Generac used 30hrs for $700, a 7.8kw McCulloch for $350, and multiple Onan RV generators in my area. I just wouldn't do a $2000 Harbor Freight generator with these options available. Bigger bang for the buck in the used market.

Im not so sure a genny is something Id want to buy used unless I was really broke or wanted a backup for a more trusted one. You just dont always know its previous history and its anything but idiot proof. Too many people out there lacking common sense about mechanical things, as well as the basic idea, who sells a perfectly good.generator they bought new? If they didnt then they stole it or bought it used themselves, and dont know its history. If I need to count on it in an emergency, would rather not have these lingering questions.
Has anyone here thrown away money on the old stormcat generators from HF? The red 2 stroke one they cloned into the tail gator? I dealt with one of those for exactly 88 days, on the 89th I got all my $89.95 plus tax applied to the then new released predator. I really wanted to like it but it was horrid. Flooded all the time, and I think thats what lead to the very common broken recoil starter. The flooding probably allows greater sealing of the combustion chamber and it yanks the pull cord out of your hand and breaks the plastic pawl. I STILL tried to keep it for awhile, and used my makita drill with socket on the crank bolt. Sounded like a dozen tiny dwarves stuck in the crankcase with hammers pounding their way out. Output was crazy varied random.
Even though I beat it up for 3 months and brought it back broken they cheerily gave me full credit and patted me on the back for one thing... i was one of like 1 guys out of 10 they said that really removed all the fuel.
I saw the manual had a hard on for that so pulled the fuel line off the carb and gas tank and blew compressed air in both directions through the lines. Couldnt even smell gas let alone see any.

Last edited:
I got a Champion 2500 watt dual fuel inverter generator. I have two 15 amp Schumacher chargers that I can run at the same time....one for each battery bank. On the 15 amp mode they pull less than 200 watts each which means that I can run the generator on eco-mode all day and use very little propane. I have an old school 5000 watt gas generator that will only give me 7 hours on 5 gallons of gas. The little Champion generator only weighs about 45 lbs. It makes more sense to run the little one for small tasks like battery charging or household things.

Attachments

• 1644978.jpeg
    1644978.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3
I got a Champion 2500 watt dual fuel inverter generator. I have two 15 amp Schumacher chargers that I can run at the same time....one for each battery bank. On the 15 amp mode they pull less than 200 watts each which means that I can run the generator on eco-mode all day and use very little propane. I have an old school 5000 watt gas generator that will only give me 7 hours on 5 gallons of gas. The little Champion generator only weighs about 45 lbs. It makes more sense to run the little one for small tasks like battery charging or household things.
Been looking at that one, if I didnt have the predator and wasnt moving up to a honda (Im not) that would be my choice.
From reviews on youtube the champion (dont know if its dual fuel but its the 2500) is actually lighter than that at 39 lbs dry, more compact than almost all its competitors, and tested quieter than both honda eu2200 and predator 2000.
All 3 of those are my main priorities in a generator, whether it puts out 1800 or 1900 or 2000 watts running doesnt matter
If I have a dislike maybe its that beautiful shade of "calling all crackheads, steal me!" yellow that shouts across a campground parking lot. I think they used to do it in black but it was the 2000.
Champion is supposed to be a legit company, if this has the reliability to back up its other assets this may be the best choice of all. I see honda as resting on its reputation while sending production to thailand and offering little real innovation, with Harbor Freight holding down the fort being "almost as good as brand A at half the price".

Been looking at that one, if I didnt have the predator and wasnt moving up to a honda (Im not) that would be my choice.
From reviews on youtube the champion (dont know if its dual fuel but its the 2500) is actually lighter than that at 39 lbs dry, more compact than almost all its competitors, and tested quieter than both honda eu2200 and predator 2000.
All 3 of those are my main priorities in a generator, whether it puts out 1800 or 1900 or 2000 watts running doesnt matter
If I have a dislike maybe its that beautiful shade of "calling all crackheads, steal me!" yellow that shouts across a campground parking lot. I think they used to do it in black but it was the 2000.
Champion is supposed to be a legit company, if this has the reliability to back up its other assets this may be the best choice of all. I see honda as resting on its reputation while sending production to thailand and offering little real innovation, with Harbor Freight holding down the fort being "almost as good as brand A at half the price".
Harbor freight was on my list, but everything they have is gas powered. I can store propane for years if need be.

Im not so sure a genny is something Id want to buy used unless I was really broke or wanted a backup for a more trusted one. You just dont always know its previous history and its anything but idiot proof. Too many people out there lacking common sense about mechanical things, as well as the basic idea, who sells a perfectly good.generator they bought new? If they didnt then they stole it or bought it used themselves, and dont know its history. If I need to count on it in an emergency, would rather not have these lingering questions.
Has anyone here thrown away money on the old stormcat generators from HF? The red 2 stroke one they cloned into the tail gator? I dealt with one of those for exactly 88 days, on the 89th I got all my $89.95 plus tax applied to the then new released predator. I really wanted to like it but it was horrid. Flooded all the time, and I think thats what lead to the very common broken recoil starter. The flooding probably allows greater sealing of the combustion chamber and it yanks the pull cord out of your hand and breaks the plastic pawl. I STILL tried to keep it for awhile, and used my makita drill with socket on the crank bolt. Sounded like a dozen tiny dwarves stuck in the crankcase with hammers pounding their way out. Output was crazy varied random.
Even though I beat it up for 3 months and brought it back broken they cheerily gave me full credit and patted me on the back for one thing... i was one of like 1 guys out of 10 they said that really removed all the fuel.
I saw the manual had a hard on for that so pulled the fuel line off the carb and gas tank and blew compressed air in both directions through the lines. Couldnt even smell gas let alone see any.
Definitely buy whatever you're comfortable with. I don't mind buying and inspecting used equipment.

Just did initial setup and break in on two of these for work. Went with them because they run propane out of the box, and we were able to get two of them for less than the cost of a single equivalent Honda + aftermarket propane conversion.

They're definitely louder than my own EU2200i, and won't start a heavy load as easily. Can definitely tell the Honda uses a much larger engine that isn't as stressed. General fit and finish wasn't as good as the Honda, and the Champions had much more sparkle in the break-in oil than the Honda.

I expect they'll do the job just fine though.

I think a bigger benefit would be the ability of running propane as long as tank size allows.
Definitely buy whatever you're comfortable with. I don't mind buying and inspecting used equipment.
For myself I dont think I have the required experience with a wide variety of gennys I assume would be a prerequisite to detecting faults which are often intermittent. Im mechanically inclined and have technical capabilities but would prolly have to see a good one to spot a bad one, and vice versa.
Also maybe its just my region but it seems most used ones on CL and offerup have had a hard life already. There also seems to pop up frequently, fake copies of honda EU series generators. 1000 and 2000/2200 models usually NIB at prices too good to be true. Have seen eu1000s at the local swap meet, one or two at a time NIB for a couple hundred below the best price I could find on the web. Didnt have the funds so didnt ask to take it out.
Then theres the scam sites that pop up at the top of search results, for 2/3 of MSRP, reviews decribe being sent a box of rocks or a real tracking number from someone elses purchase from amazon to prove receipt by you.
Going off topic but its not surprising something as coveted as a honda generator has so many scams swirling around.

Has anyone else noticed the comparable yamaha 2000 virtually disappeared a few years ago except for the motor being used in other branded units? Were there recalls or defects?

Has anyone else noticed the comparable yamaha 2000 virtually disappeared a few years ago except for the motor being used in other branded units? Were there recalls or defects?
Don't know about the US but here down under Yamaha inverter generators are available in 1.0, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.8, 3.0 & 6.3kVA models.

Don't know about the US but here down under Yamaha inverter generators are available in 1.0, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.8, 3.0 & 6.3kVA models.
Are they comparable to hondas in reliability and performance? In the 2.2 catagory I believe yamaha shifted production to china at the same time honda went to thailand.
I am biased toward yamaha, this was long ago but I owned one of these:FJ84 (1).jpg

Which ultimately became regarded as one of the best machines produced in its time, there was nothing an FJ1100/1200 didnt excel at, from pounding 500 miles a day cross country, carving canyon roads, and setting records at the dragstrip.

That was the finest and most affordable stump pulling sport cruiser of all time.
Why did you part with it?
That held the 50mph-85mph top gear roll-on record for years!

You have to buy a Ducati these days to equal that bike

I am biased toward yamaha, this was long ago but I owned one of these
That would have been a nice ride.

In 1984 I rode an already well worn out Yamaha 750 triple cylinder to central Australia on a 10,000km run over 16 days, camping on the side of the road. Considering the number of close calls, crashes and broken stuff which happened along the way, I'm amazed we made it back home. It was one of these:

Yamaha%20XS750%2076.jpg

My ride buddy had a new (at the time) Honda VF750:

Honda-VF750F-Interceptor.jpg

I had a ride on it, 235km/h on the Barkly Highway was enough for me. No cattle fences up there.

That would have been a nice ride.

In 1984 I rode an already well worn out Yamaha 750 triple cylinder to central Australia on a 10,000km run over 16 days, camping on the side of the road. Considering the number of close calls, crashes and broken stuff which happened along the way, I'm amazed we made it back home. It was one of these:

Yamaha%20XS750%2076.jpg

My ride buddy had a new (at the time) Honda VF750:

Honda-VF750F-Interceptor.jpg

I had a ride on it, 235km/h on the Barkly Highway was enough for me. No cattle fences up there.
A friend had the 850 custom version of that yamaha. No issues.
Ive ridden the 500 interceptor, it was heralded for its handling but the 750 would have been a better fit for me.
Before I had that FJ11, I had this abomination:
Honda-CX500-Turbo-Right-Side.jpg
The purchase of which was motivated because it was a deal and Id wanted one since I saw its side view in a magazine. Thats its only good side, any other angle is just weird.
But looks arent that big a deal. It was scary to ride even with very accurate inputs.
It was very top heavy, initiating a turn was slow then it fell deep into a lean. It was an early shaft drive, jacking made the ground clearance hit or miss.
All that compounded the worst of it, the engine suffered from typical of its time long turbo lag, but this was worse than turbo bikes from the other mfrs because it was small displacement and heavily boosted. So it was a pig off the line, you gave it a little more throttle, nothing, a little more.... Then whoosh more than you asked for. Add the shaft jacking and high CG and it was a suicide machine. Honda improved on it with the 650 but by then word had gotten out how bad it was.
Thus stepping over to the FJ11 was so easy, it was forgiving, its strengths were the CX turbos weaknesses, by the end of the first day riding it it felt like an old shoe, or an extension of my mind. I looked at where I wanted to go, the FJ went there as if there was nothing else between us.

After riding it several years I parked it one day under a tree in our yard and never got on it or a motorcycle again, to this day, I guess 34 years later.
I rode with a crowd here in san diego that made a ritual of racing out on highway 94 on sunday mornings. I wasnt nearly the best but had 100k miles on bikes by then. Speed was adreniline, got me high. One rider who I was close friends with had an FJ11, same year. He was a bit older and did less stupid things than most of us. He was a manager at Tunecraft. Thus we were surprised when a week after he traded up to the new FZR1000, hed been in a head on accident on the way home from work. He and the car that crossed over the line each going 70+, he had all the gear on.
It was at least 3 months later when he wanted visitors at the hospital, what I saw made it difficult to hold down my lunch. Left arm and leg were gloved, that is stripped of skin and muscle down to the bone. He spent almost a year as impatient as they did about 20 surgeries grafting things from the rest of his body on to the two sticks dangling on the left.
I knew wrecks happened, guys died, I had wrecked and been hurt before. But the really bad stuff always happened to other guys. They were squids, or drunk, or didnt have the skills I believed I had.
But this guy was a good friend, a good rider, never rode drunk, had the same machine I did... and wasnt taking the chances I was. I was dusting cops at least once a month. Often on purpose.

I couldnt just say he was somebody else.

If it happened to him, it would happen to me, and I was going to get married in the near future.

Sorry for the long tome, it was asked why I sold it.

Its funny now but I wrecked a few cars and bikes in my crazy days, was lucky no scars were left you can see today.

When youre close to age 60 you realize its pretty cool to have all your appendages intact, no facial disfigurations, etc.

Last edited:
When youre close to age 60 you realize its pretty cool to have all your appendages intact, no facial disfigurations, etc.
I’m 56. I have never matured in the area of speed self control.

Context : I had some ‘job situations’ about 10 years ago that, um, exposed some underlying anxiety issues; my doctor took me out of work to recover. It was severe. Anyway- the point.
2015-ish I came across a CB350F that had been wrecked in ‘96 and bought it not running for $100. Fixed it, got it running. Very cool bike and fun to ride. Narrowed blinker stalks, euro handlebars, (shaved the taillight and later fab’d in one from a Ducati monster), painted a Norton-esque tank.

My friends had varying opinions of my efforts. To me it was a fun project and a challenging repair. But secretly inside I did it to test my ‘fear;’ was my unwelcome and lingering anxiety based in fear? Was I less of a man than I thought I was?
74D6B5A5-350E-4292-A8C0-C49E874B7DE9.jpeg

As it turns out, no, persistent fear had no relationship with my anxiety: I had no hesitation in running it to 90-95mph even with its 25-year-old tires. Eventually common sense made me stop testing my fear. I mean limits.

I loved - and still love- the FJ1100 for what was and what it is: the pinnacle of the SJM for the USA market (Standard Japanese Motorcycle) but never owned one. With its long, flat comfortable seat, higher bars, conservative yet robust motor, and excellent stable though not class-leading handling there’s nothing close today other than perhaps BMWs or maybe Ducatis with their motors (admittedly both marques have better handling today)

Last edited:
I think a bigger benefit would be the ability of running propane as long as tank size allows.

I built an extended-run fuel kit for the Honda, made from a replacement fuel cap bought on Amazon, some fuel line, and a 3 gallon outboard motor tank. Went with an old school outboard tank, as the EPA has ruined the new ones the same way they ruined gas cans. The outboard motor tank will run the Honda for a full day and night easily, and I can top up the outboard motor tank without shutting down.

I wouldn't buy a used Honda, just because I don't see the point in spending $900 on a used one when a new one is $1200.

Definitely stay within your comfort zone. Part of my willingness to go with used equipment is that I'm comfortable diagnosing and replacing a voltage regulator, rebuilding a carburetor, etc as needed. I'll also test run it extensively ahead of time, and maintain it properly even in storage, to minimize problems when needed.

Edit: Also, my usage case for the larger generator would be to run it for a few minutes at a time, a couple times per day. Run the well pump and maybe the washing machine, and that's basically it. It's just not going to rack up the hours that the Honda will.

When youre close to age 60 you realize its pretty cool to have all your appendages intact
I can understand that. I had a lower leg amputation following a cycling (not motorcycling) accident in 2007. Was doing about 30km/h.

Nowadays I'll have one beer and I'm legless.

I can understand that. I had a lower leg amputation following a cycling (not motorcycling) accident in 2007. Was doing about 30km/h.

Nowadays I'll have one beer and I'm legless.
Thats funny (weird not humorous) around 2007 i got the most severe injuries in my life from a bicycle wreck. And I totalled 2 mcs, 2 cars, several other serious wrecks.
I had spent over a year building this ti hardtail one exotic part at a time as I found on ebay. Chainrings were ti, the wheels were XTR with ti hubs that shimano made just one year. Not quite a road bike but damn fast with slicks pumped to 107 psi.

PICT0014.jpg
Just a few weeks after it was on the road I was cutting through a parking lot at the bottom of a long hill and it was dark. Had lights but didnt see the speed bump across the driveway, hit it at an angle at full tilt doing about 20-25 mph. My knee- and im just wearing warmups-slammed into the pavement first, and Im kinda trying to cling to the bike but its titanium which flexes like a spring and it went end over end several times, I ended up at the other end of the parking lot. Was able to ice the knee quickly, even though swollen all that ultimately happened was a torn mediscus cartlige which for a few years would randomly fold over and cause my knee to lock.
I was in shock and rode home several miles my back was black and blue and swollen from my neck to my ass. I had xrays and a ct scan done at the VA about a year later for something else where it was revealed Id broken 3 ribs and one of my vertabrae.
The bike... barely had a scratch on it.
I sold that ti bike not long after I got a deal on a circa 1999 Klein Quantum Race Pro. If you want a road bike, buy a road bike. Slicks on the lightest mountain bike is still a mountain bike. I was proud of the deals I got on all the parts tho nearly everything about half price. The frame was US made and only $700. The W handlebar/stem combo and seat post from Morati (czech, factory used to make soviet ti aerospace parts) after they went out of business. The judy XL forks, well i just like the way double crown forks look and these were light and simple.
I still have the Klein cant ride it much but Im not a carbon fiber fan and Kleins were the best Al bikes got, I take it out every blue moon. It looks retro with all dura ace polished components.

Attachments

• PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1
Back