diy solar

diy solar

Best LifePo4 charge controller settings known to man for Maximum Service life and Minimum battery stress!!! 5,000-10,000+ cycles?

It’s been my experience that float doesn’t trickle charge Li. Unlike lead acid, Lithium’s voltage stays constant without needing to be trickle charged to maintain that voltage.
That’s the point. If you set your float voltage to allow your solar to power a load connected to a fully charged Li battery then your float voltage is high enough to impress a voltage on the battery. That’s a charger , small yes. But that’s the point

When you guys talk .05c, 1c, 2c etc I admit I'm lost, terms I never encountered in my years of electronic repair
For a 100AH Battery Pack, the 1C Rate is 100A, the 0.5C Rate is 50A. A 280AH has a 1C of 280A & 0.5C of 140A.
The 0.5C Rate is for CHARGING and not to be exceeded lest unpleasantness occur.
The 1C Rate is for Discharging Only. Most Cells CAN exceed that in a "Burst" mode for 2-5 Seconds (pends on the manufacturer) and it can be as high as 5C, so a 100AH outputting 500A for 2 seconds. A BMS will prevent such misadventures. LFP actually does really well with a 0.2-0.4 C Rate which will not even warm them up much. They get warm during charge, if too high they will get Hot ! LFP can handle up to 55C/131F Temp

Trickle is relative... Float is NOT trickle. Float is simply Constant Voltage & Variable Current which allows the cells to get to their Full Saturation state @ set voltage, not just a surface charge.

Charging with higher Amps. This is typically done when you have a Battery Bank consisting of several battery packs in parallel. OIn Parallel they share/divide both Charge & Discharge. Myself, I have 3x 280AH and 2x 175AH in one bank for 1190AH / 30kWh. During the Thrash Testing I pushed up to 250A into the batteries but that was divided between them. ALSO something that most do not realize, when you have a bank with different capacity cells, Charge & Discharge tends to be proportional relative to Pack Capacity. That get's TRIXY ! BTDT, A difference is OK but not too large otherwise you'll run into the bigger packs trying to charge the smaller ones when they get low. Best to try and keep them close like 280AH + 304AH would be just fine.

Cycles, there has also been contention there between "some". A Full Cycle is going from the Programmed Low Volt Cutoff to Full and back. A Partial Cycle (most common) is just that, your battery cells go from 3.400Vpc to 3.100Vpc and then recharged, that's a partial.

Re Growatt: Cannot speak to their behaviour as I do not use an AIO of any kind. Midnite Classic Solar Controller & Samlex Inverter/Charger here... I also use JK-BMS with 2A Active Balancing on my battery fleet (including utility packs) and so I float them so they are all perfectly topped off and have a good charge saturation before they are called upon to run my home. It's always nice to see the Delta between all cells in all packs @ <0.005 +/- 0.002.

BTW: I am No Longer seeing anything from that Gone Boating dude as he/she/it graduated to the IGNORE List ! Tedius nit pickery is of no interest and pointless, other than mulching a thread... Take the HIT, Go Sailing into the Sunset already.

Everyone can point to research

“This is explained by the well-known observation that cycling at higher SOC leads to more pronounced SEI generation compared to lower SOC cycling [32, 37, 38]. The cycling at 50% DOD leads to a longer duration at high SOC ranges (compared to 100% DOD) of the cells with more electrolyte and salt decomposition. Furthermore, an important difference between the 50% DOD cycling and the 100% DOD cycling is the number of charge–discharge cycles. One cycle for the 50% DOD cells represents 1.25 Ah cycle−1, leading to roughly 1600 cycles until EOL, while for the 100% DOD cells (2.5 Ah cycle−1) only about 800 cycles are performed until EOL is reached

Nope. You failed. This paper does not compare DoD to other factors in cycle life. You said DoD was the dominant factor. I said (and the paper I quoted said) that it was far less impactful than time and temperature. Try again.

Edit: Actually your paper does compare DoD to temperature, and says temperature has a greater effect. So yeah, you failed. Try again.

Float works for me. I use it sparingly. I float at 3.35 per cell and CV is 3.45 per cell. How can maintaining a cell at resting voltage be harmful?
The OP seems to agree:
Well goneboating explains (kinda makes sense) that even impressing a voltage on a cell can cause small amounts of damage to a cell if the cell doesn’t need to be charged. But that’s being nit picky to say the least. Also I can’t understand any other way to allow our batteries to constantly supply power to our homes constant loads. Other than constantly allowing the charge controller to impress a voltage because a voltage has to be present from the chargecontroller so it can constantly supply power to the homes constant loads so that pv power can be used so that battery doesn’t have to be used/short cycled..
This Goneboating fella seems very knowledgeable regarding Li chemistry but what he’s trying to add to this post isn’t helping the purpose of the post.. which imo is about using Lifepo4 with a solar setup with basic charge controllers

Well goneboating explains (kinda makes sense) that even impressing a voltage on a cell can cause small amounts of damage to a cell if the cell doesn’t need to be charged. But that’s being nit picky to say the least. Also I can’t understand any other way to allow our batteries to constantly supply power to our homes constant loads. Other than constantly allowing the charge controller to impress a voltage because a voltage has to be present from the chargecontroller so it can constantly supply power to the homes constant loads so that pv power can be used so that battery doesn’t have to be used/short cycled..
This Goneboating fella seems very knowledgeable regarding Li chemistry but what he’s trying to add to this post isn’t helping the purpose of the post.. which imo is about using Lifepo4 with a solar setup with basic charge controllers
By this logic just putting cells in parralel is abusive.

Well goneboating explains (kinda makes sense) that even impressing a voltage on a cell can cause small amounts of damage to a cell if the cell doesn’t need to be charged.
The important qualifier in that statement is "if the cell doesn't need to be charged". A cell doesn't need to be charged if the cell was charged to 3.65 volts. If we follow the OPs practice of charging to 3.45 volts and applying a voltage at 3.35 volts I have not seen any reason to change my strategy.

Last edited:
That does make sense if the cell was charged to 3.65 volts. I am not sure it matters if we follow the OPs practice of charging to 3.45 volts and applying a voltage at 3.35 volts which is close to resting voltage.
I’m not sure either. I guess a cell is full at its resting full voltage. Either way it’s being to nit picky

By this logic just putting cells in parralel is abusive.
Yeah so once the cells are balanced then I can’t see paralleling them would cause any degradation. I mean I suppose if the cells each lost capacity at different rates then the transfer of power between the cells could cause very very minimal degradation.. but if each cell lost capacity at the same rate... I mean what are we talking about lol.. nothing that matters for our setups

Yeah so once the cells are balanced then I can’t see paralleling them would cause any degradation. I mean I suppose if the cells each lost capacity at different rates then the transfer of power between the cells could cause very very minimal degradation.. but if each cell lost capacity at the same rate... I mean what are we talking about lol.. nothing that matters for our setups
Its unlikely that any 2 cells will have an identical internal resistance profile so there will be eddy currents.
A bit hyperbolic maybe but, since we are picking nits... :)

We are dealing with what the OP asked for “ maximum life “ and “ minimum stress “
Actually the OP did not ask for those things, he suggested a charging strategy that most people who have been using Lithium for years agree with. Good luck with your "highly instrumented test system". Let us know when you get around to implementing it. Maximum life and minimum stress were the context in which his suggestions were framed. I don't think he intended for the discussion to extend to stress at the level of the SEI layer, but we don't know because he has not been heard from for over six months.

Last edited:
. I guess a cell is full at its resting full voltage.
I have seen examples of cells at significantly different SOCs present the same resting voltage. Case in point is the people that get new cells delivered which all test within 0.001 volts, put them in a pack and when they reach the knee of the curve they diverge significantly.

Sad this thread turned into something complicated when actually maintaining LFE is so simple.

Anyways I had to tear down my pack because I moved and haven't set it back up yet. Before I moved I tested the capacity of my pack which had been floating at 3.4 volts per cell for 8 months. I use the pack to power a UPS. Only lost a few ah's capacity.

It would be nice to see more people post their actual experiences rather than posting a bunch of research papers. Not knocking it but personally I am much more interested in real usage.

It would be nice to see more people post their actual experiences rather than posting a bunch of research papers.
I have evolved from an e bike conversion 12 years ago using Headway cells to my current pack of 42kWhs of LFP. I have used conservative settings as advocated by the OP in his first post at the top of this thread. . My experience has been good even though I have made mistakes along the way. I have been pleased with the longevity of the various cells that I have used and resold over the years.
I have also been driving EVs for ten of those years. I rarely charge them to 100 percent unless leaving on a long journey the next morning. I also charge them on DC fast chargers when traveling at rates from two to four times their capacity (2-4 C rates) but the pack is actively cooled and managed by the onboard BMS.. One EV has over 100,000 miles and has only lost 10 percent capacity of stated capacity.

Last edited:
Learning about every degradation mechanism and the rate in relation to environmental conditions is fun for me.

I appreciate the various perspectives on this topic.

Please can we keep it civil.

Nobody is demanding for someone to throw their solar charge controller that has a default float function out the window.

Then don’t use Li , simple. Li is not great in a float style situation where the solar is covering the load because you may be subjecting the li to a trickle charge as well.

Of course you can rig load diverters that are powered by the panels directly , this leaves the Li just sitting there.

But people have been ruining lead acids for decades with poor practices , no doubt Li will be the same
So I’m interested in your thoughts. What do you recommend for a use case like mine

Small campervan /rv with 480W solar and a 200Ah Lifepo4 12V battery

Lifepo4 provides significant weight, space and power advantages but I haven’t seen a charger (solar or alternator) designed specifically for the chemistry as yet. I’ve got an epever tracer 4120AN that Lifepo4 settings

Back