diy solar

diy solar

Best practice…. Joining 10g stranded to 6g solid or stranded?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Need to join my 10g EGC to some 6 g at the array. Wire nut? Split bolt?

Solid/solid wire is easy to wire nut as is stranded to stranded but I may end up using 6g solid (if I,have it on hand).

Should I still use wire nuts?

Wire nut (let stranded Wire stick further into the wire nut, than the solid wire. When mixing the two)
Split bolt
Mechanical butt splice
Really anything that makes a good electrical and mechanical connection.

Wire nut (let stranded Wire stick further into the wire nut, than the solid wire. When mixing the two)
Split bolt
Mechanical butt splice
Really anything that makes a good electrical and mechanical connection.

Thanks for that little gem! Would never have thought.

How do you size wire nuts for different sizes (at the same time)? All of the charts/directions are for 3- #12 wires, etc. I.e red wire nut is for ,6g but says minimum 2- 14’s max 4-12’s.

I used to have charts for mixed conductors.
But I haven't seen them for years.
After 40 years I just know what will work, where.
If I were going to join a #6 and #10, I would grab a Grey wire nut.
But a blue Ideal wing nut would also work fine.

"At the array"

Is that inside a junction box, or exposed?
Wire nut are typically for dry locations. Except grease filled direct burial (and maybe those are for LV DC circuits?)

I'm going to be doing something similar when I get to my rooftop mount. Except, I have 4 awg I'll run exposed, maybe use 6 awg stranded in conduit (already have it, and figure nothing wrong with ampacity sufficient for Isc x number of strings.)

I may need to splice multiple pieces of exposed wire, unless it snakes nicely using one length. Split-bolt I guess. Lay-in lugs where attached.

All splicing should be done inside enclosues. The only exceptions are a ground bar/lug, and splices designed for outdoor use. (Or wherever they are being used)

"At the array"

Is that inside a junction box, or exposed?
Wire nut are typically for dry locations. Except grease filled direct burial (and maybe those are for LV DC circuits?)

I'm going to be doing something similar when I get to my rooftop mount. Except, I have 4 awg I'll run exposed, maybe use 6 awg stranded in conduit (already have it, and figure nothing wrong with ampacity sufficient for Isc x number of strings.)

I may need to splice multiple pieces of exposed wire, unless it snakes nicely using one length. Split-bolt I guess. Lay-in lugs where attached.

The plan is to run #10 in a conduit and into a waterproof junction box. Within the box I will join the #10 to the #6 and then from the box to the array.

I used to have charts for mixed conductors.
But I haven't seen them for years.
After 40 years I just know what will work, where.
If I were going to join a #6 and #10, I would grab a Grey wire nut.
But a blue Ideal wing nut would also work fine.

The blue ideals are one size fits all, correct? (I’m in Canada so not sure if colors are standardized)

All splicing should be done inside enclosues. The only exceptions are a ground bar/lug, and splices designed for outdoor use. (Or wherever they are being used)

Would copper split bolt work for #4 solid copper wire run along multiple PV rails on the roof?

(I'm not sure if I'll get WEEB washers or just put lay-in lugs on every panel like back in the dark ages. I have bottom clips or maybe just use bolts, also top clamps, for lightweight Unirac rails. Not sure if WEEB is compatible, haven't used those before.)

Would copper split bolt work for #4 solid copper wire run along multiple PV rails on the roof?
Yes
But be careful with bare copper and aluminum framing.
They should not be in contact with each other. (Galvanic Corrosion)

Back