diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery Power Block Battery Monitor Dilemma?

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Looking at the Big Battery 170AH 12V Power Block. The setup of this battery, to me, really lends itself to being mobile... (The Anderson connector and the power switch). I would plan to carry this back and forth from home (as part of an emergency backup) and our off-grid cabin (for weekend use).

However, my dilemma is... How can I keep track of state of charge (Easily)? I suppose I could hang a short custom cable off the back with a shunt and a battery monitor. But, that really makes it messy and kind of defeats the purpose of having the quick connect Anderson plug. It doesn't look like their box has room to install internally. (Sure would have been nice if they put a $40 monitor in it instead of the voltage meter)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't have a good answer for you. I do not even own the batt, but thinking of purchasing. But I have almost the same thought for the dual use and monitoring. You can buy Drok monitors with a hall effect sensor. I have used them for other set ups. I like them. Seams that would be easy to add. The display "looks" to be about the same size. But obviously a millimeter off, might not be good. I have not read good things about Big Battery customer service/follow up. But if you could get in contact to get some info, might be a good option. Post if you find some info

Reactions: JAS
I have reached out to them via FB. Will see what they say. However, now that I'm thinking about it... Even having a cable/shunt/monitor permanently connected hanging off the back would not help if turning the power switch off disconnects the battery. (IE: the monitor would get reset each time the power switch was turned off)

I'm not sure how the disconnect is set up. But if you can get power for the meter from the cell side of the switch, you would be good.

So, BigBattery never replied to my repeated messaging attempts on Facebook. So I filled out their "contact us" form on their webpage. Here's the answer I got: :rolleyes:

Hello Jeff!
To my understanding, our batteries have a built in BMS which Monitors the Batteries System. so that will help with maintaining the battery charge as well as the temp control.
Hope that helps!
MRGREEN10 Code for additional discounts.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Thank you & Stay safe.
Sincerely,
BigBattery Team
O:
(818) 280-3091
@: Sales@BigBattery.com
BigBattery, Inc. (HQ)
9667 Owensmouth Ave.
Chatsworth, CA. 91311

I've since replied asking them to re-read my question, but have received no answer...

It does appear that you might be able to fit a shunt under the case right on the negative post of the battery and then either drill a hole in the case for the monitor or route it out a hole and somehow mount it to the outside of the case. However, I'd be worried any drilling of the case would void the warranty...

I'm found this same issue. No battery monitor on 24v Hawk batteries. Why in the world would you ever build a battery without State of Charge monitoring ability. It's like building a car without a gas gauge. When you buy a car, you just assume it would have a gas gauge, no? Now I have to find a work around. My Growatt is sitting here and is eager for a battery monitor cable. Just crazy.

Reactions: JAS
Back